• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Almost burnt up my PPU

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 11, 2001
Messages
12,828
My computer is pretty stuffed with lots of PCI cards in a fairly small case (super-lanboy). When I installed the PPU back in mid march, I figured that the best way to go would be to install it in the bottom PCI slot so that the fan wasn’t blocked by any other card and it would have a little more room to breathe. The card also has a nice blue LED light and it reflects off the bottom aluminum to give the inside of my case a nice soft blue glow.

After getting back from a LANparty last weekend, I noticed the eerie smell of burning plastic/electronics in my room. All the computers were still working just great though, and I ended up blaming it on an old 486 laptop power brick that had been giving me some issues (and it too smelt like burnt plastic :rolleyes: )

Today I was dusting out my box and was shocked to find that the internal wires that connect my front USB ports to my motherboard has shifted along the bottom of the case and ended up against the fan on the PPU, which didn’t allow it to turn. The FAN then proceeded to melt itself.

But the card itself never skipped a beat, working perfectly for over a week with essentially bare minimum passive cooling. Furthermore, after removing the old heatsink it appears to have not one but two different sets of mounting holes! Finding an aftermarket heatsink for it should be a piece of cake.

burntppusink.JPG
 
wtf, i have mine in the bottom slt as well, i did take it out as i want to swap it for the slot higher up which has my soundcard in it, but when it was in, i noticed the bottom of my case was pretty hot aswell, and the thing isnt even working as of yet ???

I havent noticed a blue led on mine yet ?

I have carpetting in the bottom of meh pc, sound proofing actually, and it was roasting to the touch after a few hours, thats why with it being moved up one slot, the fan at the side of my case shud blow onto it along with the v cards....

here's hopeing your card aint bust dude....

I tell ya what I didnt like with my card which is the same as yours, the ram hasnt got heatsinks on them, i wonder if they will get uber hot after being used for a good few hours while gaming, and if that will detract from there ability ?

The asus model looks like the ram is totally covered by the heatsink and fan, not sure but the pics seem to show it as that...

EDIT:

I wonder who will be the first to overclock one of these thing if possible and what kinda performance they get out of it compared to one at stock. Someone gonna do it, and it aint gonna be me, til I know how these things re-act normally, and if they can even be OC'd....
 
Well the card was working with the burnt heatsink for over a week, including during all the testing I did with the boxes demo. It was working fine up until the point which I turned the computer off to dust it. I don’t think the chip is damaged.

Here is a pic of what it looks like through the window of my super-lanboy (trying to show effect of the blue light). But it seems like your heatsink is slightly different than the ones on the cards that i've worked with. I wonder if that is the only difference?

blueppulight.JPG
 
Ok, I just checked, and mine has definetly not got a led on it, Also your differs from mine slightly.

The heatsink and fan is slightly different, i have a fan with like 8 or so blades and the heatsink is flatter i think..

Also mine has the words printed on it, Ageia Physx, and also i get an added bonus of some nubs finger prints all over the back of it which I just noticed when I took my mini mag lite to it to see if it had an led fan, sadly it hasnt, but maybe just aswell, since all my CC's and leds are green :D

But i aint happy with all the finger prints on the back of it :(

I wonder what that jumper pin could be for ? something to attach to it, or is it a reset jumper switch ?????
 
Call me silly or just uninformed but,
What games are out that will use the PPU?
If there are none, why would a person even have it in their system? (Unless it was a package deal)

If there are some games out, what are they? I will get them. I can then test your PPU extensively for you for a year at no charge. I will even pay the freight to and from.
 
I have a few questions guys,

Where did you get the PPU card?

How much?

What games are you playing that use it?


Thanks

Peace
 
Toasty.


How hot does it get... this is even worse news for those with tight configurations.
 
Pretty bad that its getting that hot and nothing even utilizies it yet. wth is it doing that is making it run so hot.
 
i dont understand why you guys gave the thing when there is NOTHING to use it with. might as well wait and maybe by the time there is something to use it with prices would have gone down a bit
 
osalcido said:
dont be jealous cause they have the card before you :)

how can i be jealous of them having a card that has NO FUNCTION right now?

"OMG im so jealous cuz you guys have this card that only takes up space and blocks airflow!"
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
how can i be jealous of them having a card that has NO FUNCTION right now?

"OMG im so jealous cuz you guys have this card that only takes up space and blocks airflow!"

There is a demo program for PhysX :rolleyes:

Terra...
 
ziscwg said:
Call me silly or just uninformed but,
What games are out that will use the PPU?
If there are none, why would a person even have it in their system? (Unless it was a package deal)

the gamer said:
What games are you playing that use it?

Asian Dub Foundation said:
i dont understand why you guys gave the thing when there is NOTHING to use it with. might as well wait and maybe by the time there is something to use it with prices would have gone down a bit

Currently the only thing out right now which actually uses the card in hardware is the boxes demo included with the drivers. But the fact that there are no games out yet is exactly why they are not available in retail yet.

LittleMe said:
Where did you get your cards?

the gamer said:
I have a few questions guys,
Where did you get the PPU card?

How much?

Cards were released to OEMs a while ago, so naturally you’ll see a few floating around, but it is not as if there is some secret retail link we’re all hiding from you. As for cost, MSRP is $299, but it will likely be cheaper than that. I didn’t buy mine.


Ockie said:
How hot does it get... this is even worse news for those with tight configurations.

JAW said:
Pretty bad that its getting that hot and nothing even utilizies it yet. wth is it doing that is making it run so hot.

Did you guys read my post or just look at the pretty pics? The fan only burnt up because wires shifted up against the fan and stopped the fan from turning. The FAN seemed to be an LED fan which may or may not have contributed to the burn up. But the significant part here is that it worked just fine for over a week before I even realized the fan had burnt out. If it can function on what was at that point basically bare minimum passive cooling, it obviously doesn’t put out that much heat. How many videocards do you know that can run for a week without a fan?
 
Terra said:
There is a demo program for PhysX :rolleyes:

Terra...

Yeah babY!!!

Isn't that fun to play with. :rolleyes:

I'll buy one when there is sufficient reasons to. Like when a good game actually uses it or something. Even then, if that happens I'll have to give up my sound card to do it and go with onboard audio. I won't give up my SCSI card or either of my graphics cards.
 
Me personally, I dont care if there isnt anything available as of yet that supports it, because in May Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is being released and that supports the ppu, so 2-3 weeks wait is easy enough to be able to test this thing properly...
 
JinxyBoi said:
http://physx.ageia.com/titles.html

Yup, looks like there's "Nothing" that supports it out right now.

The only game on that list that is out right now is Bet on Soldier, which currently uses a version of the PhysX engine that is too old to support the PPU. There is a patch that is supposed to come out soon.

So yes, as of right now, “nothing” is the word.

BurntToast said:
E-PENIS</THREAD>

BurntToast, I created this thread because I found the situation somewhat funny and believed that there are others here that might also find humor in almost burning up new hardware. Beyond that, I have only tried to answer people’s questions and provide factual information regarding the product. Do you have a specific complaint, or is thread crapping just a hobby for you?
 
EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:
Me personally, I dont care if there isnt anything available as of yet that supports it, because in May Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is being released and that supports the ppu, so 2-3 weeks wait is easy enough to be able to test this thing properly...
Ghost Recon the first title KICKED ASS!

The new GR title to be released in May will have little in common with the first title, but I am still eagerly anticipating its release as well. But something tells me that this game will be perfectly playable on a high-end machine. Why? Do you really expect developers at this point to put all at stack in the hope that everyone interested in the GR game also buys a physics card?

IMO games that don’t require a physics card to play wont get me to buy the physics card. I will buy the physics card for game play enhancements, like destructible terrain. But I WONT buy it for eye candy.

BTW most good people in COD2, Quake 4 and just about every other title turn off the eye candy anyway to get a clearer picture of their enemies.
 
BurntToast said:
Ghost Recon the first title KICKED ASS!

BTW most good people in COD2, Quake 4 and just about every other title turn off the eye candy anyway to get a clearer picture of their enemies.

I know a few good people at those games and they (and I) do NOT turn off the details or eye candy. If multiplayer is a little slower than single player, then I may drop the res a notch to keep consistant FPS, but I don't reduce eye candy. I am pretty competetive with most people I've played. And if ever I've had my ass handed to me in a game by anyone, high details weren't the reason.

If you've got a high end system, there is no need to turn down detail in an FPS to be competitive.
 
GotNoRice said:
...
BurntToast, I created this thread because I found the situation somewhat funny and believed that there are others here that might also find humor in almost burning up new hardware. Beyond that, I have only tried to answer people’s questions and provide factual information regarding the product. Do you have a specific complaint, or is thread crapping just a hobby for you?
Well fucking said. :mad: BurntToast, keep your trolling self out of this thread. And a :rolleyes: to you for wasting my time reading through your crap.

GotNoRice: thanks for showing us what has happened. I'm sure many appreciate your efforts. :)
 
Dan_D said:
Yeah babY!!!

Isn't that fun to play with. :rolleyes:

I'll buy one when there is sufficient reasons to. Like when a good game actually uses it or something. Even then, if that happens I'll have to give up my sound card to do it and go with onboard audio. I won't give up my SCSI card or either of my graphics cards.

Did I mention anything about "fun"?
But nice try in putting words in my mouth.
Fact is that there is software out there that uses the PPU-core...

Terra - Simple as that...
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
oh boy! i can play that ALL DAY! wee! :rolleyes:

and a :rolleyes: at osalcido


Does it or does it not utilize the PPU-core?
Simple YES/NO question...
Funny, who you where wrong, but instead of admitting that, you try and ridicule me...
You asked ( in a shitty way BTW ) if anything uses the PPU.
I answered.

Terra - Now do you want to start a mudfight or do you want to try arguments instead?
 
Terra said:
Does it or does it not utilize the PPU-core?
Simple YES/NO question...
Funny, who you where wrong, but instead of admitting that, you try and ridicule me...
You asked ( in a shitty way BTW ) if anything uses the PPU.
I answered.

Terra - Now do you want to start a mudfight or do you want to try arguments instead?

if u interpret my post as a shitty way of asking then rofl!

i suggest u re read it. i made a valid point so people can maybe save money down the road

if they want to spend around $300 just to look at a demo then be my guest

practicallity, ever heard of that?
 
I hope the rig I build for UT2K7 will have a free slot for this.

GNR...is there any word for overclocking or even underclocking the card?
 
City of Villains supports the PhysX.... and its out.
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
if u interpret my post as a shitty way of asking then rofl!

i suggest u re read it. i made a valid point so people can maybe save money down the road

if they want to spend around $300 just to look at a demo then be my guest

practicallity, ever heard of that?

Let me remind you of your orignal statements in post #10:

Asian Dub Foundation said:
i dont understand why you guys gave the thing when there is NOTHING to use it with. might as well wait and maybe by the time there is something to use it with prices would have gone down a bit
Now is it true that NOTHING uses the PPU-core now?

Terra - Just keeping ducking the answer ;)
 
Terra said:
Let me remind you of your orignal statements in post #10:


Now is it true that NOTHING uses the PPU-core now?

Terra - Just keeping ducking the answer ;)

asian dub foundation - *shakes head* nvm :eek:
 
GotNoRice said:
If it can function on what was at that point basically bare minimum passive cooling, it obviously doesn’t put out that much heat. How many videocards do you know that can run for a week without a fan?

Seems like the core has only been idling, since you haven't run any apps that would even utilize a PPU. It will be interesting to see the heat output when it's under load.
 
BurntToast said:
Ghost Recon the first title KICKED ASS!

The new GR title to be released in May will have little in common with the first title, but I am still eagerly anticipating its release as well. But something tells me that this game will be perfectly playable on a high-end machine. Why? Do you really expect developers at this point to put all at stack in the hope that everyone interested in the GR game also buys a physics card?

IMO games that don’t require a physics card to play wont get me to buy the physics card. I will buy the physics card for game play enhancements, like destructible terrain. But I WONT buy it for eye candy.

BTW most good people in COD2, Quake 4 and just about every other title turn off the eye candy anyway to get a clearer picture of their enemies.

I hear what your saying, I dont think the new GR will be anything like the first, and I dont think it will be as moddable as the first either, saying that I have the 360 version here, but I am just waiting on the 360 to arrive, I seriously wanna test both versions to see what major differences if any the pc version will have over the xbox version due to the ppu...


As for turning eye candy off, well I have to disagree with you there, if you are on a low to medium spec'd rig, then yes, you would turn stuff off, but as one person has already said, there is no need to on a highend rig..

I play cod2 bf2 and a few other games that are hard on the pc, and they are all maxed and played in widescreen and I dont get killed anymore than any other person. I think it is the opposite, I rape in bf2, not as good at cod2 as I am at bf2, but thats maybe cuz I hardly play it as much....

In my experience, the only ppl I know who turn stuff down, is the ones who have to due to system limitation or for some other reason, like trying to use exploits, which to me is ghey, if they cant play the game as it was intented to be played, then why play at all if you have to tweak your pc to make the game look shite just to be able to kill ppl ? ....

On a lighter note, I cant wait for GRAW for the pc




:)
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
asian dub foundation - *shakes head* nvm :eek:

What an argumentative and informative post?
No arms, no cookie...

Terra...
 
Fact is that there is software out there that uses the PPU-core...
Oh sure you are right. But your right in that useless kind of way. Heres the FACT Nothing worth use utilizes the PPU Right now. Regardless I want one as I have faith in the hardware. Terra add something to the thread dont spam it for your post count.
Post with respect man. The amount of disrespect your showing for no meaningful reason is kinda sad.
You have to know when its worth it to point something out. Sure a Demo uses it but answer me this. How much use does that Demo have. And would you spend 200 to 300 dollars on hardware to allow you to watch or play this demo? That was the point of that mans post, post #10 now lets get back on topic.

Ive got a question...Is the PPU loud?
 
InorganicMatter said:
Would it be possible for you to use FRAPS to record videos of some of those demos?

The only demo at the moment is the boxes demo, which will run even if you don’t have the card and really isn’t much to look at.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
if they want to spend around $300 just to look at a demo then be my guest

It isn’t available yet, and when it is, there will be games out. The few that got theirs via the OEM channels, well, I guess if you pay $300 now or $300 later it won’t really matter, but the one site that sold it was told to stop.

Jonsey said:
Seems like the core has only been idling, since you haven't run any apps that would even utilize a PPU. It will be interesting to see the heat output when it's under load.

I did extensive testing of the boxes demo during that period. With a heatsink that small I can't imagine it takes very long to get to its max temperature. There is no usage meter that I am aware of, so I really am not sure how much of the PPU’s resources the demo uses though.

kuyaglen said:
GNR...is there any word for overclocking or even underclocking the card?

Not that I know of.

Ockie said:
City of Villains supports the PhysX.... and its out.

Hmm, that’s interesting. Does anyone have this game that would be willing to check some file version numbers really quickly?

Usually located in the root game directory there are the PhysX engine DLL files.

Some examples:
PhysXLoader.dll
PhysXCore.dll
NxPhysics.dll

The version number of the file should correspond to the version of the PhysX engine used in the game. The PPU currently supports version 2.3.1, 2.3.2, and 2.4.0. Bet on Soldier, for example, uses version 2.2.0 and thus is not currently supported.
 
The PPU didn't burn up because it wasn't being used. Also, how did you get one in Mid March?
 
Obi_Kwiet said:
The PPU didn't burn up because it wasn't being used. Also, how did you get one in Mid March?

Kind of interesting that I addressed this very notion in the post directly preceding yours. The answer to the 2nd part of your question is obvious: Magic
 
There is a game out that uses it its called Bet on Soldier and its sitting on my desk, even tho I don't have a ppu.
 
Back
Top