Allowing a Non-Admin Win 7 User to Install a Secure Application?

Certain

Limp Gawd
I have a group of about 20 users all using Windows 7 and non have admin rights to their machines. This is on purpose. I have one particular application though that I want them to be able to install as they need it. Its sitting on a network share and its not mandatory that they use it. Its completely up to them. But it does ask for admin rights on the machine to be able to install it. Is there anyway that I can modify the file for my users and allow them to install that one app without giving them admin rights?

Any help or any other solution to this situation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not really possible. Since you only have 20 users you probably dont have any application delivery solutions in place. What I would do is just install the app on all machines either manually or using a computer startup script (since its not msi). Then they can use the app if they want to or not.

Only way an installer can work without admin rights is if it was designed to do so by never elevating and never touching any non userspace areas. But for nearly all installers this is not the case.

Will the Application Compatibility Toolkit help? I'm not sure if it will, but it's worth looking into.

Does the application itself require elevated permissions to run? If not, odds are you can just roll your own installer using Inno or Nullsoft. Depending upon the complexity of the application, the installer may need to be complex, but in some cases you can get by with a very simple installer script. You can even configure the installer to run without user prompts if that's what you're looking for.

In some cases application developers design their installers such that they require elevation to install even when the applications themselves don't demand it. This may be one of those cases.

I have a group of about 20 users all using Windows 7 and non have admin rights to their machines. This is on purpose. I have one particular application though that I want them to be able to install as they need it. Its sitting on a network share and its not mandatory that they use it. Its completely up to them. But it does ask for admin rights on the machine to be able to install it. Is there anyway that I can modify the file for my users and allow them to install that one app without giving them admin rights?

Any help or any other solution to this situation would be appreciated. Thanks.
It's 20 machines. Just install it yourself on all of them and if they use it, great. If not, then it's not hurting anything. You do not want to have users with local admin rights unless absolutely necessary.

If you ran Windows Server Application role you could probably do this.

Back