Allow users to update webpages

cuemasterfl

Supreme [H]ardness
I need to make a website, but on some of the pages, there will be a window (Div?) where another user will be able to make changes, after logging in of course. What's the best solution? I don't want to be restricted to built in themes/templates that make the page layout difficult to change.

I really don't want to mess with databases if at all possible. TIA.

Sounds like you need a Content Management System. There are many OpenSource CMS solutions available. Your webhost needs PHP and MySQL for most of them. The only one I have some experience with is Joomla. I just started playing around with that on my website and I think that can get done what you are looking to accomplish.

I've been looking at CMSs but they all seem so complicated. I'm good with HTML and CSS, but beyond that I'm kinda stuck. I need something to be dead simple. I peeked at Joomla but didn't see exactly what I need, but I guess I will look again. I hope I'm explaining myself sufficiently. There should be something that allows you to name a DIV in a particular way, and anything inside this DIV is editable by someone who has logged in. Can Joomla do this?

Thanks!

I personally would recommend wordpress because it is very easy to write custom functions and access the themes (visual aspects) or write your own software in php, mysql

Other than manually wiring up some functionality and authentication logic to show/hide a rich text editor (ex: FCK Editor), then you're going to have to use an out-of-the-box solution. Judging by your second post, I don't think writing a user/role management authentication and administration area is your niche.

However, don't be intimidated by the template design. Most mature CMS products that has been on the market for several years will usually have a showcase demonstrating what kinds of templates people have done. This alone should convince you. The common CMS packages, such as DotNetNuke, phpNuke, and Joomla, have books for purchase that go over template design. Should you decide not to learn how to write a template for a specific CMS, then several template sites will have models for sale at a very reasonable price... usually with full source code for you to tweak.

Last edited:
We used a simple solution for some of our clients, SnippetMaster I believe it was called.

You could specific parts of the code they could edit. It would end up looking like this.

<div class="whatever">
<#!BEGIN SNIPPET>
This is your text here, lalaalal
<#!END SNIPPET>
</div>

In the backend GUI, the only thing the user could edit was the text inside the snippets, stops them breaking things!

CMS is going to be your best bet; I was looking for the same exact features since the users were complaining how difficult it was to submit reviews to the site. I ended up going with Joomla supplemented with a commercial script specifically for managing reviews. Users can pretty much edit or submit articles on the site using the built-in WYSIWYG editor without breaking the templates or looking too funky on different browers. Take a look at my WWW if you want an idea of what it looks like in action.

Back