All Yahoo Employees to Get iPhone 5 Smartphone

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Following Microsoft’s lead (or was Microsoft following Yahoo’s lead) Marissa Mayer, the new CEO of Yahoo, informed the entire company that they would be receiving their choice of new iPhone 5 smartphones and Yahoo will foot the bill for phone and data usage. The company is ending their association with Blackberry phones in a very big way.

We have a very exciting update to share with you today - we are announcing Yahoo! Smart Phones, Smart Fun! As of today, Yahoo is moving off of blackberries as our corporate phones and on to smartphones in 22 countries.

Exactly what our company did, but with iPhone 4S. Ditch Blackberry as quickly as possible. They were good from a management standpoint, but damn near useless with anything else.

wow, what? probably a coincidence. she probably wasn't there long enough to have influenced this. it would be strange for the google girl to switch her whole company to apple instead of android on purpose.

Damn it Domo, I was going to say it must suck to work at Yahoo til I saw the other phones.

Anyway you should redo this as a poll to see what phone we would pick from the bunch.

-iPhone 5
-Samsung Galaxy S3
-HTC One X
-HTC EVO 4G LTE
-Nokia Lumia 920

I'm in for the GS3.

Well it is pretty obvious where this is going.. Apple lacks search.. Microsoft has a phone platform and search, Google has phone platform and search.. Yahoo lacks a phone platform.

Marissa Mayer is looking at getting bought out by Apple.. Maybe time to buy some Yahoo shares..

Why aren't they footing the bill for a WP8 because isn't yahoo partnered up with microsoft so they have a better chance of taking on google.

Misleading title is misleading.

Through the program, Yahoo employees will have a choice of phones: iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC One X, HTC EVO 4G LTE, or Nokia Lumia 920.

Following Microsoft’s lead (or was Microsoft following Yahoo’s lead) Marissa Mayer, the new CEO of Yahoo, informed the entire company that they would be receiving their choice of new iPhone 5 smartphones and Yahoo will foot the bill for phone and data usage. The company is ending their association with Blackberry phones in a very big way.

Misleading title. I expect better from [H]. Yahoo is paying to allow their employees to select one of five smartphones, one of which is the iPhone 5, one is WP8, and the other three are Android.

I'm still waiting for another phone with a finger print scanner, <3 my Atrix. Swipe fingerprint to unlock is one of my favorite features on a smartphone ever. Come on Apple, put a fingerprint scanner on the next iphone and claim you invented it!

Misleading title. I expect better from [H]. Yahoo is paying to allow their employees to select one of five smartphones, one of which is the iPhone 5, one is WP8, and the other three are Android.
With all the traffic that Apple news gets on here, it's not surprising to mislead the article title that way to get clicks.

Bout time. I get a little flak from my boss on occasion for refusing to use a company issued blackberry, like I'm stupid for wanting to pay for my own cellphone with unlimited data vs a freebie from the company. I equate it to him giving up his sportscar for a company issued rapist van.

Wow, nice. If the article is correct, this is a phone for every employee, way different than blackberries for a few; having employees with smartphones should help with making mobile development actually happen, instead of just being a "top priority" that somehow never got done.

With all the traffic that Apple news gets on here, it's not surprising to mislead the article title that way to get clicks.

+1 Clicks = Money so "creative license" will be applied liberally

On the topic, I don't see how this is a huge deal. I just see a dying company kicking another dying company to the curb.

"Lost another one to Apple!" RIM should hire the fat guy from the Ditech commercial.

wow, what? probably a coincidence. she probably wasn't there long enough to have influenced this. it would be strange for the google girl to switch her whole company to apple instead of android on purpose.

Exactly!

BB or iPhone or whatever...

Still stuck carrying one around... Whatever brand it is...

The title of the article is misleading since the Yahoo employees will have a choice between an iPhone and a few high end Androids. I'm a little surprised that the Google girl isn't restricting the smartphones to just Androids. Also, this puts another nail in the coffin for BB. :cool:

I'm jelly, my work only gave me some POS blackberry. Won't even let me use my iPhone4S, when all they have to do is authorize a SIM reburn to the right form factor.

I'm jelly, my work only gave me some POS blackberry. Won't even let me use my iPhone4S, when all they have to do is authorize a SIM reburn to the right form factor.

It's more that that. They likely have to set up servers and IT support to secure the iPhone in addition to the servers they already have for Blackberry. That way they can do things like remote wipe when the phone gets lots or when your employment is terminated by you (quitting) or by them (firing, layoff, etc).

My company issues a blackberry. Alternately as of earlier this year we can buy an iPhone and they'll foot the monthly bill, but not the purchase cost. Androids are still not allowed mainly due to management costs is my understanding.

My iPhone 5 is preordered. Finally I can be free of this damned blackberry, uggggh. I really wish they'd just issue the iPhone without me having to pay for it. That makes me somewhat unhappy, but its worth it just not to have to use a blackberry.

Too bad you're jelly and not jellybean!

Isn't RIMM bankrupt?

They have $1.5B (Yes B for Billion) cash on hand, people forget so fast how successful RIMM was at business contracts :rolleyes:

I wish they'd just stick to corporate and make a proper secure device... that no one else can truly do right (looking at you apple, especially android, and at least wp7, we'll see how wp8 does)

RIM should get awesome hardware together and put Win8 in it. That would couple their strength (enterprise market) with another company that excels on it and is looking forward to build a big mobile ecosystem on top of the one it already has (desktop/mobile x86).

That, or go bankrupt. No one will do squat for their OS anymore.

Read the article. iPhone 5 is one of several choices.

Back