ALL WXP Pro users have 99% CPU time for 16k System Idle Process? shek your askmgr.exe

JediFonger

2[H]4U
idle.gif

i noticed this just today on ALL computers with windows xp pro i've used @work, in school and now @home. wtf?

Yes, that is normal i dont know how to describe it so a link for you..

http://www.reger24.de/prozesse/System Idle Process.php

"System Idle Process - You cannot end this process from Task Manager. This process is a single thread running on each processor, which has the sole task of accounting for processor time when the system isn"t processing other threads. In Task Manager, expect this process to account for the majority of processor time. "

I think it counts the time a processor is doing nothing... :confused:

OldMX

The above are exactly right. "System Idle" means exactly that (imagine! not a lie!). The system isn't doing anything.

Check your CPU graph and you'll see that it's left out of a plot of actual use.

//edit: I *think* this applies to all NT-based systems, but it's been a while since I looked at NT4.

i never knew that CPUs had to be kept "busy" via an idle process and that the process gives way/heed to usage and is managed via a ratio. the more usage the lower the idle process is. i never knew that! what would happen when CPUs ain't kept busy? would the system freeze or something?

Thats a good question. I did learn in one of my classes in college about the system idle process (i think it was an OS course), but I don't remember what happens if it doesn't get kept up.

JediFonger said:
i never knew that CPUs had to be kept "busy" via an idle process and that the process gives way/heed to usage and is managed via a ratio. the more usage the lower the idle process is. i never knew that! what would happen when CPUs ain't kept busy? would the system freeze or something?
it's just being sent the "idle" instruction or something else benign. *something* needs to be going to the processor; if you leave it indeterminate then there's no reason to expect system stability / predictability.

As for priority... Windows has roughly a hundred priority levels (5 or 6 major ones then hideously subdivided) and the IP is the lowest of the low.

Direwolf20 said:
Thats a good question. I did learn in one of my classes in college about the system idle process (i think it was an OS course), but I don't remember what happens if it doesn't get kept up.

yeah, stuff can happen if the computer doesn't spend enough time doing nothing

:D

Where do you think all those instructions were going? Windows XP is sending the Halt instruction during that time.

Better question. Why are they idle at all? You should all be FOLDING!

Cheers.

Nephron said:
God damn, does the word "IDLE" mean nothing to you?

You'd think people would figure it out themselves, or utilize our good friend Mr Google, but nope, they create the same posts here over and over.

Give it an hour and someone will make another thread asking if SP2 is okay to install, followed by another user asking why XP can't see his SATA drive during the install.

Or saying they love their raid0 setup and use it on their main pc. And can actually see a massive increase in load times when they open up Microsoft Word. OR!!!!! Another goddamn fucking 3dmark05 thread asking for scores or if you think its relevant

Jedi if you look below where it says CPU Usage: 0%, everything on that list equals I believe 99%, lets say you run a process that is taking up 25% resources, you'd see under "CPU Usage: 25%" yet in the "System Idle Process" spot it shows 74-75% idle.

System Idle Process..dont think if it using 99% of your CPU resources, think of it basically meaning how much FREE cpu resources you have available.

What on Earth did you think the System "IDLE" Process was doing? Baking a pie?
:rolleyes:

Just for the record, even windows NT 4.0 has a system Idle Process that behaves in the same fassion as Win2k, WinXP etc.

S1nF1xx said:

Oh, that would be nice. An apple pie with vanilla ice cream on the side.:D

Seriously though, if that bothers you, fold. I'll even give you a link if you dont have it already.
http://folding.stanford.edu/

The same thread over at [M] got vaulted.

So lemme continue in the tradition:

"You're fucking joking, right?"

Morley said:
The same thread over at [M] got vaulted.
Threads were started within less than a minute of each other, too. :rolleyes:

S1nF1xx said:

Of course....it would be using the USB powered Easy Bake Oven from Thinkgeek.com.

i posted one in 2cpu as well. i suppose i'm just trying to become as famous as i will be in the future :rolleyes: :cool:.

S1nF1xx said:

LOL S1nF1xx, I had to cover my mouth to prevent laughing out loud at work!

Dark Ember said:
mmm.... baked proteins... ::drool::

:D

harhar...

i'm still surprised that no one has piecked up on the title "shek your askmgr.exe"
if the original poster can't even spell taskmgr is it really fair to expect him/her to know what the word idle means?

Back