• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

All power over a single connector?

kenw232

n00b
Joined
Nov 28, 2009
Messages
46
Hi, I may be trying to use a 800w PC power supply to power a custom circuit I have. It is not for an actual PC. My question is, if the power supply is rated at 800w, can I pull most or all of that wattage from one connector/port? Some I see will have the specs for the connectors at like 12v/40A max per connector. So that means I cannot get more then 480w from a single 12v connector then, even know its rated for 800w? Correct or not you think?

Thanks for any help.
 
Molex pins have current limits before they overheat and melt. That is generally something like 6 amps, which for 12v, means 72 watts maximum per pair of pin/wires (pair consisting of 1 12v and 1 ground wire/pin). So no, it would be highly unsafe to draw 800 watts from just one connector.
 
correct, computer PSU advertised power output is an arithmetic sum of capable output from the 12, 5, and 3.3v lines independently; though it's impossible to get that simultaneously. You have to pay attention to the quoted output for a particular voltage line (and hence the hocus pocus power ratings reported by vendors).
 
I'm drawing around 700w off the 12v line of my Corsair TX 750 for an audio amplifier.

I soldered every yellow and black line together.

You'll have a massive fire if you try to draw any more than 22a from a single molex...
 
sounds like you'd be better off getting an old server PSU and soldering some thicker wires onto it, you should be able to find info on how to do it on mining forums since it's a pretty easy way to get a lot of 12v power at 90+% efficiency.
 
I'm drawing around 700w off the 12v line of my Corsair TX 750 for an audio amplifier.
You'll have a massive fire if you try to draw any more than 22a from a single molex...

If I got two TX 750's, or any PSU for that matter, and put the 12V 1 connectors in parallel and pulled 20A from each that would work in theory correct?
 
If I got two TX 750's, or any PSU for that matter, and put the 12V 1 connectors in parallel and pulled 20A from each that would work in theory correct?

You're not reading....
 
Back
Top