All-in-one LAN Case Mod Idea

board2death986

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've been a part of my local LAN scene for about 5 years and I've constantly been changing my setup to be more LAN party friendly. I started with a full tower steel case and CRT back then and my setup now isn't too horrible. I have a Coolermaster Storm Scout, I use a geargrip with my LCD and a backpack for accessories. This isn't bad but it's still a bit bulky and awkward. My idea is to basically incorporate all of these things into one item. Let me just list the modifications for easier understanding.

-Mid or full tower case
-Built in LCD (around 22 inches if possible)
-Built in power strip / surge protector (I only use 2 power plugs anyway, everything else is USB powered)
-Wheels and a telescopic handle like a luggage dolly

This in itself is a big task if it's even feasible, which I'm hoping some of you can enlighten me on the issues I'm definitely going to face. I don't have a whole lot of metal cutting or wiring experience so I might have to have some of this done by another party. This along with a strap-on pouch system like this http://www.geargrip.com/details_ggg2.php?UID=17576512224c64f228afc9e would make the setup a one item affair. Some of you will think I'm crazy to consider this and that my current setup isn't really that bad, but I'm always looking to optimize and consolidate things when I can and this sounded like a fun challenge so I figure what the hell, at least finish the conceptual part and go from there.

One obvious issue I'll face using something like this is if it becomes too heavy and I can't put the case on top of the surface I have it renders the LCD useless. If i was a rich bastard I could just buy a beefy all in one PC, but that isn't [H] at all =P

or do what some of our guys at lan do... use a wall mount on the side panel to attach monitor to the case.

I've thought about that, also found that Monster makes something cheap (OMG), and it happens to be small surge protectors that might fit if I mount it to the rear vent on my CM Storm Scout. There just happens to be vent space next to the PCI slots that might be just big enough.

*Update* Measured it out after finding the dimensions on Monster's site, its just a bit too wide to fit on the vent, but I can mount the surge strip on top of my PSU or the bottom of the case (would there be grounding issues?), and just cut some holes in the vents to route the power cables. This might be easier than I thought, although not as polished as my original idea. =P

I also found a belkin product that WOULD fit in the vent space, but it doesn't use a cord to connect to a power source (supposed to be plugged directly into the wall). Would it be safe to use an extension cord to plug it into a wall socket?
http://www.lotusgeek.com/LotusGeek/LotusGeekBlog.nsf/d6plinks/ROLR-7ZGMDH

Also a link to the Monster product I found.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlets-To-Go-Powerstrip/dp/B000ONZTMW

*edit*

The belkin strip has a guarantee that should cover any damage done, and reading that got me thinking. Would these be good enough to handle a PC with a 750w PSU (assuming max load) and 22 inch LCD?

Also could just get a simple luggage dolly and make this whole mod less permanent than originally planned. Wouldn't make it less effective, just easier, cheaper, and less time consuming =)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Found a couple of good dolly's that look sturdy and are compact but still handle the weight load. All in all this "mod" should cost around $60 and might only take an hour to do, including a lunch break. I don't have the skill-set, tools, or money to make this look good. But that wasn't the idea in the first place, it should make my LAN transport a whole lot easier and bring down my travel gear to just the case/lcd (on wheels!) and a small pack for accessories and snacks. Also this is probably a better idea since mounting the LCD externally gives me the option to leave the mount in my car so that if I can't put the computer on top of the desk I can just mount the LCD on its regular mount pretty easily.

I've almost wanted to do this kind of thing, too, but I just don't LAN enough to make it worth the effort, not to mention I would need to buy a new monitor (my wfp2707 is a bit too big...) You could hardmount the LCD into the chassis somehow if you really want, but then it's going to be really awkward to adjust height/angle. I think instead I would focus on finding/making a custom monitor stand that folds up nice and small and get a nice padded bag for the screen. Maybe look at those large bags art students use to protect large sheets of paper, etc. Then maybe go SFF so you can fit your whole rig and accessories in the backpack and you'll be able to carry your whole rig in one load. I suppose it doesn't have the convenience of an all-in-one desktop but it wouldn't be too terrible.

Or... get a desktop-replacement style laptop?

Last edited:
I say ditch the case and use one of those airport suitcases with wheels and handles if you want that dolly/wheel action, otherwise Shiro's suggestion is the easiest.

Back