All in one cable modem any good?

Cally

Limp Gawd
Been having connection issues with Comcast. Tech today installed a new line from house to street pole. He suggested I ditch their netgear wireless router and buy a good all in one unit. He said I would see a more solid connection than I have with my Cisco cable modem and their netgear router.

I did some searching and saw a Motorola Extreme SBG6580 for $128.52 at the Egg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122014

Would this be a good choice or should I keep looking? Never thought about a all in one type modem before, this is all new to me. Any advice?

My personal and professional experiences is it is best to have separate modem and router. You get unlimited flexibility for upgrading and low(er) impact when replacing one other the other.

Out here in Charter territory we use Motorola modems for residential and SMC Networks for business. The failure rate seems to be fairly low, at least in my neck of the woods.

Wrong sub forum BTW.

if its a Motorola it might be fine but if its any of that trashthat lots of providers like to push on people like Arris then run the other way.

if its a Motorola it might be fine but if its any of that trashthat lots of providers like to push on people like Arris then run the other way.

Isn't Motorola owned by Arris now, does Motorola still have separate manufacturing?

Back