All in One Benchmark Tool?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
how do you get a free laptop for review without knowing how to benchmark it? imo, there are no decent aio benchmarks.

Off the top of my head... Passmark is all-in-one, but I don't really see it being used much and only the CPU 'mark was ever popular (and it seems to have gone out of favor)

Really, using a whole suite of separate programs is the way to do it for a review to give your readers/viewers more to compare (they'll be grateful for it). A good (informative) review has subjective assessment as well as plenty of objective datapoints.

Does the laptop have a webcam in it or not? Friend of mine is looking for a new laptop and no webcam is a deal breaker for her.

Off the top of my head... Passmark is all-in-one, but I don't really see it being used much and only the CPU 'mark was ever popular (and it seems to have gone out of favor)

Really, using a whole suite of separate programs is the way to do it for a review to give your readers/viewers more to compare (they'll be grateful for it). A good (informative) review has subjective assessment as well as plenty of objective datapoints.
Which ones are the most popular, besides 3D Mark and Cinebench? I'm not doing a comprehensive benchmark on it. I have other, many other, things to talk about beside raw horsepower, such as throttling, cooling, build quality, battery vs normal computing and if the integrated graphics option kicks in while doing everyday tasks, and the dedicated GPU idles. The benchmark is a small aspect of the review. So two of the most popular would suffice. I'm going to let it run the benchmarks and monitor it for thermal throttling. I just reviewed an Alienware gaming laptop and it DID throttle, despite being a seriously incredible laptop. The ACER is mostly marketed towards "creative" professionals who are going to be editing 4K video and rendering all day, not really gamers.
how do you get a free laptop for review without knowing how to benchmark it? imo, there are no decent aio benchmarks.

I know damn well how to benchmark it. I didn't ask "how" to bench anything.

As is so often the case with your knee jerk putdown responses, and I've said this to you before on that topic, "comprehension is your friend."

Last edited:
I like passmark

For video editing there are a variety of more related tests. Perhaps handbrake? Encoding/decoding?

I know damn well how to benchmark it. I didn't ask "how" to bench anything.

As is so often the case with your knee jerk putdown responses, and I've said this to you before on that topic, "comprehension is your friend."
as ive said before comprehension is fine. youre op implies you dont know what to use to test it other than cinebench and "thinking 3dmark", therefore "dont know how to benchmark it". if youve done reviews before that have earned you a free review unit, use what you have before. or start with cinebench, 3dmark, superposition, games, diskmark for the drive etc.
ps: relax. lol knee jerk reaction

Does the laptop have a webcam in it or not? Friend of mine is looking for a new laptop and no webcam is a deal breaker for her.
Yeah but I think it's only 720p. Since I sell these after the review, I don't open the in box manuals, and since it is so new, I guess there isn't a user manual PDF on the Acer website yet. I tried to find one two days ago, and no go. So, I can't confirm that without being in the laptop's OS. (And I am not there currently).

I also have this one, but have had almost no interest in it for $500.00 on Craig's List. It's currently selling for $732.00 on Amazon, and they just dropped the price from $782.00 a few days ago. Seems like they aren't too popular:

Acer Swift 3 Intel Evo Thin & Light Laptop, 14" Full HD, Intel Core i7-1165G7, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 8GB LPDDR4X, 256GB NVMe SSD, Wi-Fi 6, Fingerprint Reader, Back-lit KB, SF314-59-75QC

I would probably keep the lower powered one if it were a 17", since my main laptop is 8 years old. I just can't stand laptops with anything less than 17" panels for work or anything else, really.

Those Acer offers are decent, but they aren't great. They pack a lot of tech in them, but they just don't grab me. The lower powered one is pretty damn nice, really thin, hits most of teh good points for what it is, but the newest one is pretty thick in the chin area. It makes the chassis look dated. They have 100% sRGB, but the IPS panel isn't that spectacular, either. For instance, the viewing angle for an IPS panel is shitty (for an IPS panel). My VA Gigabyte 32" 1440 monitor puts it to shame. It's not that bright either. It's bright enough, but not really bright. It's 300 nits.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I like passmark

For video editing there are a variety of more related tests. Perhaps handbrake? Encoding/decoding?
For sure that, but does Handbrake have a user comparison section or website and a dedicated benchmark (I haven't used that program in years)?

as ive said before comprehension is fine. youre op implies you dont know what to use to test it other than cinebench and "thinking 3dmark", therefore "dont know how to benchmark it". if youve done reviews before that have earned you a free review unit, use what you have before. or start with cinebench, 3dmark, superposition, games, diskmark for the drive etc.
ps: relax. lol knee jerk reaction
I don't really care about drive benchmarks. I just use Crystal and done. That, and pros using this are going to be using an external drive mostly. Those using the internal drive probably aren;\'t gong to care much, since the speed is about as fast as you can be for an NVME. Yeah, I know, the correct way to do it is with and after the cache is full, to get a true bench on the speed of the drive, but no. Sometimes when I review a SSD or a USB drive, or most of the time, I'll take my own files, like a 4GB ISO and then a directory full of smaller files, and test it manually like that. Then divide GB by seconds to get "my" real world speed.

This isn't a scientific review. I mainly just hit the tech stuff lightly, like using Crystal Mark, run my own battery test (watching 1080P video at full brightness using 2.4Ghz wireless, no sound, and let it run down to 10%.) That's my simplistic battery test.

I'll let the reader look at more sophisticated tech sites for in depth tech specs if they want. I'm not set up to do that sort of controlled testing, nor do I want to, since there are plenty of higher tech sites doing it. If it has already been done, I'll just incorporate that information into my own review with a citation for the tech site where I got the information.

What I DO NOT do is simply parrot back the manufacturer specs like so many of these idiotic Youtube shit reviews. I mainly try to find things wrong with a laptop, like cooling problems, hot keyboards, flimsy keyboard frames, thermal throttling, keyboard key quality issues, RAM and drive upgrades, ease of access to the internals for replacements and upgrades, etc.

The problem is that there are no CPU/Graphics bench marks out there for this specific machine, yet.

Back