All I want to do is set up file sharing with Server 2003, and XP...can you help?

skeebop

n00b
First of all, I have a computer running server 2003 and a workstation running XP Pro SP2. I have the firewalls off on the workstations, and it is on the same workgroup as the server...all network connections are fine. I can browse each computer but I cannot get the some folders to grant permission to certain users.

On the server, under Computer Management and Local User and Groups, I have added a user with the same login and password as that of the workstation. When the workstation browses the network and the folder on the server, it can only read...No write, delete, etc. Under the shares tab of the shared folder on the server, I added the user, even the users group that it belongs to and gave full access. Unfortuntately, that did not do much....I still get no access to the shared folder. Now the wierd thing is, if I delete the user account on the server, and then try to connect with the workstation...I will get a login and password box. Now I enter in the user and pass for the administrator account on the server, and bam....I get full complete access. The administrator is given full rights on the shared folder under the same tab that I gave the newly created user. In fact, I made the new user I created a part of the Administrators group and added that group to the folder, however I still cant get access with the workstation login. Even the everyone group is added to the shared folder permissions and still...only the administrator is allowed to get full access. Is there something I'm missing here because I thought I was fairly proficient with this and for some reason it is not working properly. If you have anything to contribute, please help. Thanks.

You know whenever I see win2k3 questions that aren't like super complicated I always think:

"Just how did that person get to run such expensive software" buth bah I'm just weird

Here are two things to check.

1. Have you disabled simple file sharing on XP
2. Are you bumping into NTFS rights on the server?

I got bought a copy for my business, and I'm trying to learn it. Im not running into NTFS permissions, because the folders are off of the root directory. To be certain, I added the new users to a different group (administrators) so they should get all access to any NTFS permission that they encounter, right? I didnt turn of simple file sharing on the workstation, but that shouldnt have anything to do with connecting to the server would it?

When you installed Windows Server 2003, did you setup active directory? Its not required, but will have an effect on authenticating to the server.

No, I did not set up AD...I wanted to try to get away without using it for a while since I only have a few computers (workstations) that will be using the files off of the file server.

Yeah it would simple filesharing (the worst thing ever) forces the use of the guest account and no real authentication can take place.

So you've check NTFS and Share permissions and seen nothing wrong?

The users have duplicate accounts on booth the server and the workstation right?

This sounds like a settings issue but if its not sharing or file rights I'm not quite sure.

Without it being an AD will is use the same SFS like XP-XP? If so, the guest account on the 2k3 server must be enabled.

Honestly, setup the server as an AD so you have real server functionality. As it is now you might as well just installed XP...

Just how did that person get to run such expensive software
Can't you still download a 90 day killware version for free? There are also academic routes, and they are giving away S2K3 in the MOC for the official classes. I got a full S3K3 5 client license key in my last class.

Back