All GoPro Karma Drones Have Been Recalled

HardOCP News

[H] News
GoPro CEO Nicholas Woodman announced today that all GoPro Karma drones are being recalled. No exchanges are being offered. GoPro is instructing customers to take their drone back to where you bought it for a full refund (even without a receipt).

GoPro is committed to providing our customers with great product experiences. To honor this commitment, we have recalled Karma until we resolve a performance issue related to a loss of power during operation. We plan to resume shipment of Karma once the issue is addressed. The recall was announced after we discovered that in a small number of cases, Karma units lost power during operation. We are investigating the issue and working in close coordination with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Federal Aviation Administration.

I get the recall part but offering a full refund instead of letting people exchange them makes me wonder what is wrong with them.

I get the recall part but offering a full refund instead of letting people exchange them makes me wonder what is wrong with them.

My guess would be software, if it was hardware a fix would be a lot quicker. They probably have to crawl through the code, create a patch and then test the hell out of it. Repeat until working. Software is much harder to fix than hardware.

My guess would be software, if it was hardware a fix would be a lot quicker. They probably have to crawl through the code, create a patch and then test the hell out of it. Repeat until working. Software is much harder to fix than hardware.

They wouldn't be recalling all of them for a software fix... That makes no logistical sense.

They wouldn't be recalling all of them for a software fix... That makes no logistical sense.

Yes it does . By doing so they are protecting themselves if a Karma drone hit someone by going crazy. If you keep it and something happen , its on you.

Pretty simple if you read what they said, which is they are trying to figure out whats wrong "We are investigating the issue", which is why shipments have stopped as well, there would be nothing to exchange them with when people brought them in, so a full refund is the best options as it allows people to wait for the fixed units, or buy something else.

If it is something that can be an easy fix, I see lots of cheap refurbed drones in the future.

Yes it does . By doing so they are protecting themselves if a Karma drone hit someone by going crazy. If you keep it and something happen , its on you.

You just retorted your own retort with your last sentence. Which is one major reason why you would not recall something at this scale with a solution that can be handled with by a standard notify recall notice to not operate the device until a patch is produced to fix it. You put the onus on the operator once thats been done. You only recall all devices when it can be fixed with a patch.

Its not different then putting a recall out to return all said devices. You're going to end up with users, for what ever reason, still use the device and possibly hurt or cause damage.

I just had a mental image of flaming plastic balls flying from the sky onto people.

That video is terrifying.... Imagine being that guy in the video, I'd probably piss myself

Back