All folders in both partitions 'read only' and can't be unchecked

videobruce

Limp Gawd
Using a fresh custom install (using nLite) of XP Pro w/s sp2 slipstreamed, all the folders in 'C' and 'D' drive are 'read only' I tried to uncheck them, but it doesn't stick.
NO services were removed, but some were stopped as I always do. I assume this might be it, but I never encounterned this before.
I have used nLite many times with both 2k & XP, but this is a new one. Any ideas here?

BTW; nLite allows a combination of slipstreaming, stopping and/or removing services, adding hotfixes, programs & drivers along with burning the O/S using one program. (I also have asked the question in their forum before someone askes, but it isn't a nLite issue.)

I have seen so many threads on several forums of people having weird issues after using nLite. On top of that, you shouldn't have any need to disable any services on XP SP2, but I'm not going to dig into that in here. There's a good sticky that covers this old topic. I would immediately start re-enabling the services to see if that caused the problem.

Folders always have the readonly attribute applied. That is normal. You can still delete them so I don't know why it shows readonly but that is the way it is.

you shouldn't have any need to disable any services on XP SP2
Yes there is BIG time. XP is way too bloated with plenty of unnecessary serives running at startup. That's another subject that doesn't need ot be discussed here.

The 'read only' is greyed out when I look at it under Properties. Again this is ALL folders even in the 2nd partition.

That's another subject that doesn't need ot be discussed here.
You're right, it isn't. However, check out that sticky. If they aren't in use, they aren't wasting resources. You gain absolutely nothing (except weird issues) by disabling them. But, like we both agreed, it's been proven, proven again, and beaten to death, so no need to rehash.

As for relevant issues, are you actually having problems accessing, editing files, etc, or are the drives just "showing" as being in read-only mode?

Folders objects are read only. The object itself can't contain data, so you can't write to them. MS started showing them as read only when XP was released.it doesn't mean that all items in the folder are read-only. Just the folder object itself.

I have seen so many threads on several forums of people having weird issues after using nLite.
I understand that which is why I haven't 'removed' any service, just disabled it or changed it to 'manual', which is the same that would/could be done under 'Services'.
Folders always have the readonly attribute applied.
They aren't in 2k.
If they aren't in use, they aren't wasting resources.
I don't stop, disable ot limit serviuces (processes) that aren't running. Only those that are loaded at startup that aren't needed AFAIC and as far as this site is concerned;
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
are you actually having problems
Yes, but I don't know if it is related to this or not. The driver package for the MB chipset & the on board video driver didn't install the video driver as it did the first time (with another trial inslatt of the O/S.
Folders objects are read only. The object itself can't contain data, so you can't write to them. MS started showing them as read only when XP was released.it doesn't mean that all items in the folder are read-only. Just the folder object itself.
I never noticed this as I never really looked. I have been using 2k, but have been gradually switching over to FP, er XP.

I'm doing a double whammy. I re-built a friends Dell box and I'm trying different configurations using nLite with this box since I'm waiting for additional memory (it only has 128 MB), so I figured to kill two birds with one stone in the process.

I

The driver package for the MB chipset & the on board video driver didn't install the video driver as it did the first time (with another trial inslatt of the O/S.

*IF* the problem with the video driver not installing was related to a folder being flagged read only, then I would expect the chipset drivers to fail as well. You've got something else going on...

All folders in XP are read only, as was indicated above. You can test this yourself by creating a new one. Go into the properties, you'll see that it is flagged as Read Only. Don't confuse these attributes with NTFS security permissions! Remove the read only attribute and apply it, and click ok. Now open up the property page again and you'll see the Read Only flag has been turned back on. If you want to verify that the read only attribute isn't causing a problem, open up this folder and try to create a new file in it -- you should be able to without any issues.

You might experience problems if you had ONLY NTFS Read permissions, though.

To demonstrate this, create a new folder. Open up the properties and go to the security tab. Click the advanced tab and remove the check box for inheritance. Click OK to go back to the permissions window -- click the Copy button when prompted. This will allow you to change the individual user rights.

Find your user name and remove the permissions. Add back Read and List Folder contents. Repeat this for any groups you might be a member of, such as Administrators.

Now open the folder and try to create a new file. You'll get an access denied message.

That's just a quick way to demonstrate the difference between Attributes and Permissions, as well as a quick test to show it shouldn't be causing any problems. You should be able to delete the folder by normal means when you're done.

I'd try to install that video driver manually. And if it's doing it in silent mode, try to find a way to install it in verbose mode. It could be tossing up an error message and you're not seeing it because messages are being suppressed.

Back