All Copper Ultra 120

GonzoP

2[H]4U
http://http://www.techpowerup.com/73777/Thermalright_Ultra_120_Full-Copper_On_Sale_this_Month.html

56a.jpg

Who's ponying up the $100+ for this guy?

I'd do it right now. Wonder how much that freakin' thing weighs?!?!

Maybe they should work on actually putting a decent base on these instead of using another metal. A properly lapped standard TRUE will still wipe the floor with the new copper design if it retains that same awful base.

Maybe they should work on actually putting a decent base on these instead of using another metal. A properly lapped standard TRUE will still wipe the floor with the new copper design if it retains that same awful base.

I believe there is still only anecdotal evidence on how much improvement you get from lapping the TRUE. I've not seen at repeatable, methodological tests on it. But yeah, they do need to work on the machining of the base. Although Thermalright has been quoted in saying they purposefully shaped the base of the TRUE and Ultima-90 to better from-fit a non-lapped C2D/C2Q, since they are not perfectly flat either.

Anyway, that thing is going to be damn heavy, but no doubt the king of heatsinks. Can't wait to rig up a support structure for it to rest on. lol

I believe there is still only anecdotal evidence on how much improvement you get from lapping the TRUE. I've not seen at repeatable, methodological tests on it. But yeah, they do need to work on the machining of the base. Although Thermalright has been quoted in saying they purposefully shaped the base of the TRUE and Ultima-90 to better from-fit a non-lapped C2D/C2Q, since they are not perfectly flat either.

Anyway, that thing is going to be damn heavy, but no doubt the king of heatsinks. Can't wait to rig up a support structure for it to rest on. lol
I've heard that too, but it's still a sloppy fit at best. Granted they have to make a product that works best for most set-ups out of the box, a lapped CPU and lapped heatsink are still going to yield much better surface/surface transfer. I know my temps dropped considerably (3-5C across all cores) when I lapped my TRUE and CPU.

Just looked at the weight though, 1.9kg? Are they serious? ~4lbs. hanging off your motherboard is going to cause some serious damage. I don't see these going in tower cases.

I think it's about time that Thermalright brings out a new, cheaper and better performing cooler instead of simply changing the color or materials used to jack the price up. With the kind of performance you get from the Xigmatek S1283 for $40 and under, this is getting quite rediculous on Thermalright's part. It doesn't even come with a damn fan.

Surely I can't be the only one that's getting tired of a 'new' Ultra 120 popping up every month.

I think it's about time that Thermalright brings out a new, cheaper and better performing cooler instead of simply changing the color or materials used to jack the price up.

See the Ultima-90.
Cheaper and just about as good as the TRUE. I love my Ultima-90.

You can't really get better performance at a cheaper price. You usually need to sacrifice something to bring the price down. Besides, it's not like they are discontinuing the normal TRUE or the Black TRUE and forcing people to buy the more expensive one.

Also, it's very understandable while this all-copped TRUE costs so much more... friggen copper is expensive!!

I think it's about time that Thermalright brings out a new, cheaper and better performing cooler instead of simply changing the color or materials used to jack the price up. With the kind of performance you get from the Xigmatek S1283 for $40 and under, this is getting quite rediculous on Thermalright's part. It doesn't even come with a damn fan.

Surely I can't be the only one that's getting tired of a 'new' Ultra 120 popping up every month.

actually, this one DOES come with a fan :p.

Well I want one and I'm gonna buy one dangit! When and where can I feed the need?

Back