All Adobe Apps - $29.99 Per Month

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by JStamsek, Feb 19, 2018.

1. King of Heroes

King of Heroes [H]ard|Gawd

Should be emphasized that this is for the first year only

2. Domingo

Domingo [H]ard as it Gets

If you have a .edu e-mail address you can get it for $19 per month with no end to the discount.

3. Hulk

Hulk [H]ardness Supreme

I just upgraded from LR 5 to LR 6 for three reasons:

1) LR 6 allows you to stich photos together for panoramas

2) There is rumor that LR 6 is going to be the last stand alone LR product for the PC, after that it's only going to be subscription based ($20 or $30 or whatever they charge per month)

3) Only cost me I believe $60 to upgrade.

4. Killdozer

Killdozer [H]ard|Gawd

I know this isn't contributing to the deal discussion but overall subscription based software like this can get bent.

5. Etherton

Etherton Will Bang for Poof

I was going to sub to the Photography pack that includes Photoshop CS and LR CS for $9.99 a month. Got to the details and they want a 2 year contract. Called them up and they told me there is no other way to do it but pay $29 per mo without a contract. I told them Ahoy Matey!

Killdozer likes this.
  6. Nah. I'll just stick with my bought copy of CS6...

7. Staples

Staples [H]ardness Supreme

I think it is pretty well established that LR6 will be the only standalone version. Also, the newer sub version supposedly has a new dumbed down interface. I bought LR6 years ago for $140 and at that time I felt that it was so advanced that I would not need to upgrade any time in the future.

8. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

They just renamed LR CC to Lightroom classic. I don't agree with the move away from standalone, even though I use CC, but the fact is if you buy a new camera, you'll need new software (or you'll have to convert your raw files to DNG before you can use them in LR.

9. Iratus

Iratus [H]ard|Gawd

The new lightroom is a car crash

10. Kwaz

Kwaz Whine & Cheezy

I thought .edu was free?

11. Domingo

12. IronTek

IronTek n00b

I have the .edu plan...that was only the first year as well. Now I'm being billed at $30-ish.

13. Domingo

Weird. At my company (I work in education), ours have stayed steady at the $20 per month since 2016. We're only using 3 licenses and we contacted a rep directly, so I dunno if that made a difference.

Not a huge fan of services like this, but there isn't much choice. The older UI's don't scale so I can't even see a damned thing on CS6 anymore. That and they stopped adding new stuff to all of those.

14. IronTek

IronTek n00b

I actually went and double checked with Adobe, hoping I could get the rate back down from $30 to $20. No-go. Not every page with the student offer has the first-year-only fine print, but the chat rep pointed me to a page that did...Oh well.

15. tacos4me

tacos4me Gawd

Adobe CC is cancer.

16. JStamsek

JStamsek [H]ardForum Junkie

I guess I’m the lone wolf here. Paying $30 a month ($360 annually) is a deal to me. Buying the software I use as a standalone and then having to purchase upgrades would be far more expensive.

So I welcome the subscription model.

Anh N. and nilepez like this.
  17. SunnyD

SunnyD 2[H]4U

29.99 is fine. Per month is not.

18. IronTek

IronTek n00b

I'm with you! $30/month is a great deal! I wish that was their everyday pricing for home use or something! Getting the student price for $30, I'm still paying (though $20 was better), but I can't justify $50/month for it!

19. Etherton

If you only need the photography pack then you're better off holding out for a sale. They'll run them from time to time for a year sub. Still, I think it comes out to $20 a month.

20. IronTek

IronTek n00b

The photography pack (Lightroom & Photoshop) is a bargain at $10/month (unless you need just one more Adobe app, like Illustrator or Premier Pro...then it's infuriatingly annoying). Sometimes Amazon has 1-year prepaid on sale for $100.

21. nilepez

Not really. If you're a casual user, it's cheaper than buying CS and upgrading every major version (i.e. skip the .5 releases). I suppose eventually it might cost more, but it'd take more than 10 years. What's more, I pick up a 1 year sub card from Amazon when it's on sale and the price is around 7.50/month (photoshop/LR).

Now I don't agree with eliminating stand alone LR, but if you use Photoshop or more, then what's the point of standalone? Pros make much more than the s/w cost and they get to write off 100% of the sub price instead of spreading it out over 3 years.

And honestly, if you don't care about upgrades, then you've got CS6 and you can convert your raw files to DNG if you buy a new camera.

The photo plan (PS+LR) is 10 bucks a month, but yearly subs go on sale on Amazon for as little as 80 (or is it 90?)/year vs 120. I forgot to get it this year (doh), but hopefully it'll happen before my sub runs out. I bought it for 2 years 15 months ago.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  22. Staples

Staples [H]ardness Supreme

Good to know. I thought $10 a month was a steal.

JStamsek likes this.
  23. nilepez

I think 10 bucks is good as well...here's a screen cap of the price over the last 2 years. I'd set a price watch for 90 or 95 and wait for it to hit.

Attached Files:

Staples likes this.
  24. tacos4me

tacos4me Gawd

Let me be less specific. SaaS in general is cancer. I will always prefer perpetual licenses, personally.

Easier to swallow licensing the software initially? Sure. I don't care for the extra baggage though. We only use CC in my shop because Adobe has forced it.

Anyway, it is a 'good deal' so I'll leave it at that.

25. Fleat

Fleat Gawd

I ended up transitioning to Affinity Photo and Designer. They are purchase once to own and don't have a subscription model. I just wish they had a Lightroom competitor as I have yet to find a solid replacement for that.

26. JStamsek

JStamsek [H]ardForum Junkie

I do like Capture One. And it does seem to render the colors and sharpness better from the raw files compared to Lightroom.

Fleat likes this.
  27. Etherton

Homer-Simpson-wingnuts-doh.gif

I knew that... damn, getting old!