All(3) My Soundcards Crackle on NF7-S v2

Ugly_Jim

Limp Gawd
My cards only crackle every 7 minutes or so, but it's still annoying, and it shouldn't happen. Is it possible that this is because of a bad PCI controller or something? My onboard sound doesn't crackle at all, but it's on the PCI bus as well, so I don't know. I've only tried one PCI slot, should I bother changing it to another one?

Also, the PCI bus is locked by default, right? What's the switch called in the bios? enhance PCI performance? should it be on or off? :-[ It seems to crackle more when IDE devices are in heavy use, if that helps any.

edit: it isn't just a small pause in the sound, it's a LOUD click/screech. crackle is a bad word for it.

If you lock AGP to 66, you lock PCI to 33.

Try changing to a different slot, might be an IRQ conflict. Pause your POST just before you get to windows in order to see a table of IRQ's.

yeah, one of the cards is an audigy1 gamer, but my new one is an Audigy2, and it crackles/screeches, too :-/

I'm going to try switching slots, thanks. How do I pause my POST?

change the boot search order options to disabled.. that way it gives a non system disk error pausing on the post screen, and will show your irq resources..

Try to make sure your sound card isn't sharing an IRQ.. I believe my Audigy 2 is in PCI slot 3, but I could be mistaken.. Works fine, unless I'm doing serious multitasking, and CMSS 2 is enabled, then it will crackle alittle, but under real world circumstances, this never happens.. (only when running prime95, superpi, winamp, defrag, and downloading)

it happens with my nforce when i OC the FSB. it goes away if i run my ram at 200,220,and 240. its pretty annoying.

oh, forgot to comment on enhance PCI performance. This does what it says it does, by using tighter timings on the PCI bus. disabling this could help you, but will cut down the performance of anything attached to the PCI bus.. I'd run some benchs on anything that could be affected, disable it, see if that improves the problems, and see what the performance is..

also, another possibility is your southbridge running too hot.. you might need to add a heatsink to it, if your oc'ing..

I noticed crackling in my speakers/headphones a while ago. You know what it turned out being? Too many power cords running parallel to my signal wires. :eek:

Back