Aligning SSD's

Rattle

2[H]4U
I got my first SSD and was wondering if we still have to align them before OS install?

Also what are you guys killing and turning off? Page file? indexing?

Just check and make sure it is aligned after you install (using AS-SSD or similar). If you really feel like you need to tweak something, you can disable hibernation to free up some space, but that is as far as I would go.

nice, so turning off page file doesnt affect or help anything? Even with 8gb of ram?

I suggest turning off hibernation (if you don't need it) and setting the page file to 1GB (unless you really need the swap space). In this case it would save you 15GB of your SSD space (8GB for the hibernation file and 7 of the 8GB of the page file).

I always kill hibernation and system restore and all that junk even on my raptors. The issue or concern isn't space saving It's avoiding needless things accessing the ssd I'm worried about.

I always kill hibernation and system restore and all that junk even on my raptors. The issue or concern isn't space saving It's avoiding needless things accessing the ssd I'm worried about.

No need to worry. Even if the hibernation and page files were kept intact, the frequency of access to these files is so small as to not be a concern.

Ok then thanks gentlemen. Anyone else feel free to throw in anything useful or performance tips.

Back