• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Alienware X51 - now with Geforce 660?

shadowghost

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 26, 2007
Messages
381
Was looking at this desktop today and noticed that it now comes with a 1.5gb Geforce 660 card. That card is a hell of a lot faster than the old GF555 it used to come with. This machine is looking very attractive now.
 
It's not the Ti that was just introduced, so I'd be a bit wary. The 1.5GB of memory hints at an unchanged 192-bit memory bus, although I haven't found anything about clock speed and core count.
 
I think if you're going to be wary, it's of a post promoting an all-in-one on a forum where most people build their own machines. How much do you get paid per click, shadowghost?
 
That's not exactly fair. What click?

The X51 still has a unique form factor that's not easily reproduced by people building their own machine.
 
I never promised to be fair nor reasonable. It's only a unique form factor because it's proprietary for Dell, they can afford to have a case designed to fit their systems. I don't come here to read people talking about prebuilt systems. This is [H].

If you want to pay $1050 for a system with an i5-3450, a GTX 660 and an external 330W power supply then fine, but post it there instead -> http://en.community.dell.com/?~ck=mn :(
 
This was discussed in the past and the X51 is, indeed, a unique system and shadowgost didn't link anything. I found his post very interesting for example.
 
I never promised to be fair nor reasonable. It's only a unique form factor because it's proprietary for Dell, they can afford to have a case designed to fit their systems. I don't come here to read people talking about prebuilt systems. This is [H].

If you want to pay $1050 for a system with an i5-3450, a GTX 660 and an external 330W power supply then fine, but post it there instead -> http://en.community.dell.com/?~ck=mn :(

If you don't want to read it stay out of the thread. It's that simple.

No one wants to read your rude comments.
 
Yes, it's the 660 non-TI version, but it's still a HUGE upgrade over the previous 555. The main criticism of the x51 before was that it was really too weak for any real gaming. This thing packs an i7-3770 and Geforce 660 in a much smaller package than anything available to builders :mad:.


I never promised to be fair nor reasonable. It's only a unique form factor because it's proprietary for Dell, they can afford to have a case designed to fit their systems. I don't come here to read people talking about prebuilt systems. This is [H].

If you want to pay $1050 for a system with an i5-3450, a GTX 660 and an external 330W power supply then fine, but post it there instead -> http://en.community.dell.com/?~ck=mn :(


I think it's cute that you're here to dictate what is acceptable and what isn't here at [H], what with your whopping 10 months of experience here. Pre-built systems have ALWAYS been a part of the SFF subforum, since they provide form factors that simply aren't available to home builders.

edit: I like the part where he accused me of shilling for Dell, when he's the only one in this thread that posted a Dell link.
 
It's not the Ti that was just introduced, so I'd be a bit wary. The 1.5GB of memory hints at an unchanged 192-bit memory bus, although I haven't found anything about clock speed and core count.

Yeah, from what I found online it has 1152 unified shaders with a 192bit bus and 24 rops instead of 32 (not fully confirmed). Not as good as the 660ti obviously, but still a pretty substantial upgrade over the previous GF555.
 
Last edited:
If you have one of the older 555 models you can upgrade it with a GTX670. The only downside I gather from these machines (besides the fact that they are difficult to custom) is fan noise. Can an owner chime in and confirm?
 
Back
Top