Alienware’s New Curved Monitor

HardOCP News

[H] News
Alienware has slapped four monitors together to make one big, curved monitor that is supposedly aimed at the gaming crowd. Looks kinda cool though, don’t you think? Gizmodo has tons of pictures of the monitor posted, I snagged a few to whet your appetite:

We can't have one of these Alienware curved monitors until the second half of this year, but until then, we've been abducted by its four nearly seamless and sharp screens of DLP goodness. Lit by LEDs, this 2880x900 monster is well over three feet wide and is said to have an other-worldly .02ms response time, great for gaming.

I am probably the wrong person to comment on this, I am running triple Samsung 22” LCDs, but unless this comes in at a killer price…I don’t see it being more than a novelty item.

BUT

I could be wrong….you never know.

What resolution are they playing Crysis in? 800x300? :p

But ya, will probably be stupidly expensive and go no where... it is "Alienware" after all.

I will say what I did in the "Display Section" with this monitor.

I think it is a neat idea, I feel like this is not the first though (HP has produced a curved gaming monitor), but also the resolution has been a bit at odd (2880 x 900). Maybe with how short the monitor is, 12.6" high, it will look fine but it just seems like it could do a better resolution. I was able to find HP did produce a curved gaming screen, though it was only shown in a convention in NY, I believe, and has yet to be seen since then. If Alienware can bring this to market they may have something just hope they do not charge 5,000USD for it. :rolleyes:

Does that mean I can watch por.. i mean movies without bars of plastic in the way of my view??

I like the direction of the concept. I just forsee two problems, possibly more..

A) LOTS of resolution for your video card(s) to cover, we are already having a hard time with SLI and a single large monitor (3007 for example)

B) Desktop space for gamers, not everyone would be able to lug this to lans :(

C) Failure rate x 4 now

Looks impressive at first blush, but looking at it some more, it's actually kinda pathetic.

2880 x 900. 900 pixels vertically? Really? That's less than full HD. That's barely more than half the vertical resolution of a 3007. And the 3007 has 2560 horizontally too, a bare 320 pixels less than this thing.

I'd get a 30" 2560x1600 over this thing any day of the week. You get nearly double the real estate, it's not so stupidly wide that you can't actually see the whole thing, and the vertical resolution makes a big difference in most games. Plus, the 3007 is an LCD, not this DLP BS. Rear projection is teh lose.

Oh, this thing will probably cost as much as 2 or 3 3007's, too.

That's some insane aspect ratio. Would suck to watch a move with 1/2 the monitor letter boxed.

I like the direction of the concept. I just forsee two problems, possibly more..

A) LOTS of resolution for your video card(s) to cover, we are already having a hard time with SLI and a single large monitor (3007 for example)

B) Desktop space for gamers, not everyone would be able to lug this to lans :(

C) Failure rate x 4 now

Actually because of its height the pixel count isn't bad... which also means the game won't look that impressive either though, just super widescreen.

This: 2880 x 900 = 2,592,000
20": 1600 x 1200 = 1,920,000 (672,000 less)
24": 1920 x 1200 = 2,304,000 (288,000 less)
30": 2560 x 1600 = 4,096,000 (1,504,000 more)

So it will be a bit harder to render than a 24", but nowhere near the 30".

Honestly I'd rather have less wide and more height, as 900 is less than 17" LCDs of 1280x1024.

16:5 ratio.. will any games make that look right? Also movies will have borders on the sides or be streched out and ugly.

Looks impressive at first blush, but looking at it some more, it's actually kinda pathetic.

2880 x 900. 900 pixels vertically? Really? That's less than full HD. That's barely more than half the vertical resolution of a 3007. And the 3007 has 2560 horizontally too, a bare 320 pixels less than this thing.

I'd get a 30" 2560x1600 over this thing any day of the week. You get nearly double the real estate, it's not so stupidly wide that you can't actually see the whole thing, and the vertical resolution makes a big difference in most games. Plus, the 3007 is an LCD, not this DLP BS. Rear projection is teh lose.

Oh, this thing will probably cost as much as 2 or 3 3007's, too.

not everyone has desk space to support a 30" monitor. this screen is almost definately 2 widescreen 19" monitors side by side, as a 19" wide is 1440x900. although it would take up a lot of width on the desk, it wouldn't be nearly as tall as a 30".

not everyone has desk space to support a 30" monitor. this screen is almost definately 2 widescreen 19" monitors side by side, as a 19" wide is 1440x900. although it would take up a lot of width on the desk, it wouldn't be nearly as tall as a 30".
Most peoples desk space is limited by width, not height.

I imagine people are gonna look really obese if you stretch the reso to fit the screen when watching movies on that thing...

Most peoples desk space is limited by width, not height.

unless you have a desk with built-in shelving. a 30" monitor is tall enough that your average walmart/staples/officemax desk isn't planning for it.

2880x900? I just hope that ain't final. Everything you'd watch would be sooo squished.

ok the specs are less than spectacular, but the point of CES is to show off, and wow-factor.

the fact that there are some (engineers/designers) looking toward this type of monitor is cool. now when the res gets better and the price falls inline with my pocket, i will take some .02ms response time goodness as well.

unless you have a desk with built-in shelving. a 30" monitor is tall enough that your average walmart/staples/officemax desk isn't planning for it.

I don't think your average walmart/stables/officemax desk planned on having a quad panoramic display either ;)

I think its a cool idea, but i don't see myself getting one of these for a long time. That monitor is solely for gaming, and i can't see myself using a cad program on that... (I'm an electrical engineering major, so i have to use that crap)

I'm perfectly fine with my 21" widescreen that i got last summer. (although, i wouldn't mind a 24"... but that wouldn't fit in my desk up at school.)

Interesting concept...gaming would be nice on it but for almost everything else, I don't think it would be that practical. If it comes down to it I'd rather pick up a nice 30-incher over that.

(Unless I missed it...) I'm a bit shocked no one has mentioned the fact that this setup seems to be seamless/gapless vs. a multi-monitor setup.

(Unless I missed it...) I'm a bit shocked no one has mentioned the fact that this setup seems to be seamless/gapless vs. a multi-monitor setup.

Did you watch the video? Its hardly seamless. And the resolution isn't that great, you'd get much more out of a 30" than this, and the 30" would take up way less space and be (most likely) cheaper .

I'd like to play around with it, but cost would be crazy as stated before, and it might give you a headache.

make it 16:9 and 1.78:1 or 2.35/39:1 so that way half the movies out there won't look retarded on it.

Treat this as nothing more than a prototype, not unlike the out of this world prototypes you see at car shows. That's fine they aren't perfect because they're not meant for mass production and sales. Instead, they function as tech demos for a new technology, in this case, near seamless multi-monitor support.

Of course, if they do try to bring this to market, I'll eat my own words. But for now, I'm looking at this individual accomplishment and considering it a success.

ok the specs are less than spectacular, but the point of CES is to show off, and wow-factor.

So contradictory.

Not everybody's a Hardware Nerd that can get a hard-on by just reading specifications (especially difficult for women nerds). ;)

Most normal people like big flashy displays that they can see and touch... and don't care about the specs...

Boy, it sure seems sexy until you get a look at it from the side. :/

I don't mind the 900 pixel height, but the seams are unbearable. I hope they can get that worked out. For now I'll have to suffer with the 52" LCD at 1920x1080 while I sit on my couch. :D

Yeah, it's why it gets a better response time than an LCD would. It is also why it takes up so much space. :)

like everything else Alienware churns out, its bigger than my desk. no thnx...

Back