Alienware m9750 or Sager 5792?

N3mi5is

Gawd
I'm looking at a good quality laptop for gaming (possibly some light photoshop if it can handle it?) for my fiance'.

Currently I have the AW and Sager configured as close to the same as possible

AW with T7600 vs. Sager T8100
4gb ddr2 667
AW SLI 8700M's vs. Sager 8800gtx
Both with vista and both with 160gig 7200rpm hdd and 8x dvd-rw

Sager is $2,374 vs $3,524

Obviously I'm leaning waaayy towards the Sager, but i'm unfamiliar with them (well pretty much all gaming laptop manufacturers)

What kind of performance will the gtx have against SLI'd 8700's?
What is the difference between the 2.33ghz T7600 and the 2.1ghz T8100? The 8100 is 45nm is the 7600 65nm?

Also, are there any oustanding quality values of an alienware to justify an extra 1200$?

Edit: I have looked at the gateway fx and it is a good value (although now it is 1700) but I don't want to have any doubts that this laptop is going to last me a long time, and I've read some negative things about the overall quality of the gateway and it's lesser quality screen.

Sager.

1. Because of the 8800M GTX beats SLI'd 8700M by a long shot.
2. Penryn = better battery life, more processing power. Though, I would opt for the T9300 instead. If there is an option for 2GB of ram (or less) opt for that. It's very easy to upgrade memory yourself.
3. If you go for the Gateway, make sure it's a higher quality one off of Gateway's site. Ex: better screen res, CPU, etc.

if you're going for the Gateway, go for the X-FX edition with the T8300 and the 1080p res screen. It is possible to talk a sales rep down from the $2000 base price to $1699 with free shipping. Ask about half priced warranty and for little more than the same price as upgrading the original BB deal, you have a 2.4 ghz processor, an upgraded screen, with a VALID 3-yr in home service warrany.

I have a 5792. I got the Penryn 2.5ghz, 8800M GTX, 4GB RAM model. Paid just over $2400 for it after shipping.

It's very fast (duh). I like the screen; some people don't like the glossy screens but I find them brighter and more "pop" than non-glossy screens. The keyboard is also very solid and feels comfortable, although I am still getting used to the placement. This is the first laptop I've used with a numeric keypad. Their documentation 100% assumes Vista 64 is being used, but I have had good luck with XP64.

As far as cons.. It's loud, REALLY loud. It's also not consistently loud, the fans seem to be quiet, then suddenly go to 100% for a couple of seconds (literally 2-3 seconds), then drop back down again, at random and frequent intervals, and it doesn't even matter what I am doing. I can see this being a serious problem when watching movies. I also don't like how there's no dedicated volume controls, it's done with Fn+key combinations which are awkward.

Thanks for the input.

Thats strange about the volume control. I was planning on using vista 64.

Alienware computers are always overpriced. I guess they figure they are a name brand now and can charge extra for having cool looking (subjective) cases.

If I were you, go with the Sager. DON'T BUY FROM GATEWAY! I personally had several horrible experiences with Gateway's technical and customer support with my XHD3000 display. Every time I called for help with an issue they would either hang up on me(no joke) or pretty much tell me that they have my money and they refuse to help me (AKA go f&ck yourself).

Buy directly from Sager, they are a trusted company.

Sager NP9262 here, C2Q Q6600, 4GB of RAM, 3x160GB in RAID-5, 8800m GTX, 1920x1200 Gloss screen, TV Tuner, A/B/G/N + Bluetooth. Sager makes a killer machine, and the 5973 or whatever model it is that you're talking about is a very good machine. Whatever you do, just make sure that you are aware that 7200rpm drive will be faster (obvious), but will drain battery fast as well, over a 5400rpm drive. Also your model is single drive, and video card only. 8800m GTX will crush 8700, SLI. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 edition on my 9262, and have no issues with the volume control that was mentioned by the other poster. I am, however, unaware of the audio codec chip used on the model you are looking at. Mine is a RealTek HD compatible codec, so I have the Realtek HD Audio control panel in my system tray.

As far as a company goes, Sager is very reputable. If you're innto the Clevo line (Sager's OEM), check out XoticPC, they modify the external appearances, and offer things like a Carbon Fibre lid, etc, but are based on the same design. A good place to look is www.notebookreview.com in the Sager/Clevo Forum.

Any Clevo reseller is going to be good. These are top of the line, and bleeding edge configs in these things, and the support you get is great. I've never been on hold for more than 2 minutes, and if they don't know the answer, THEY WILL FIND OUT. They even recompiled a video driver for FC7 x64 in 20 minutes and e-mailed it to me. Talk about service!

Back