Alienware m15x doesn't power on

ruthless-

Gawd
So recently my m15x died, i think its the motherboard but wanted to get more opinions. I can confirm the cpu, memory, and hard drive is all good. The issue is it doesn't turn on at all. The charger lights up, so I think thats good. I tested the processor, memory, and hard drive in another system and those all work. I couldn't test the video card. The battery has 2 dots of power when i press the small button on it to see how charged the battery was. The battery doesn't charge at all when I plug in the AC adapter. What do you guys think the issue is? Is it the motherboard like I suspect? It's an aging system and I don't know if i want to invest too much money to fix this system.
System specs:
i7 720qm
4gb ddr3 1333
500gb 7200rpm sata
gtx 260m 1gb

I contacted dell to see what the problem could be. Unfortunately my system is out of warranty and if i ordered anything through dell it would cost an arm and a leg and not a 100% solution. Last thing I would want happen is to spend a crap load of money on a new motherboard or video card and find out that it isn't the problem.

If it doesn't charge when you plug in the AC adapter it sounds like the MB to me :(
Was the GPU overheating? That is a common problem with the 15x, although more common with the older GPU's, and not specific to the gtx260m

If it doesn't charge when you plug in the AC adapter it sounds like the MB to me :(
Was the GPU overheating? That is a common problem with the 15x, although more common with the older GPU's, and not specific to the gtx260m

Im not really sure if the gpu was overheating. Everything seemed to work fine for years. Just tried and turn it on one morning and it just didn't work.

Last edited:
I recommend you post on a dedicated laptop forum like notebookreview. There are people there who really know a lot about troubleshooting and fixing laptops.

Back