Alienware laptops

lar5one

n00b
Does anybody really have them, and if so, what are they really like.
Is it really worth killing yourself to make that cash to get one or is it just as good with something else that is cheaper. I am talking serious gaming laptop...

I don't own one, but from what I've heard:

They're heavy
The battery life sucks monkey balls
But they blow anything else out of the water when it comes to gaming :)

But then again, I guess the same can be said for any other gaming laptop. I mean, just look at Dell's new Inspiron XPS. The damn thing is 2" thick and weighs over 9 lbs standard. But it kicks serious ass, I'm willing to bet :D

So if battery life is monkeyball-sucking... and the fact that that is fairly unavoidable, then how about, let´s say, a Sager laptop that runs with a desktop processor... It´ll kill battery anyways right?

I think that if you want a SERIOUS gaming laptop, short battery life is unavoidable.

My guess is that any desektop-replacement processor will not be great for battery life. The only processor I can think of that was built for good battery life is Centrino's Pentium M, but that wouldn't necessarily be a good choice for gaming.

By the way, gaming laptops (and desktop replacement processors) also give off a lot of heat.

You know what, I don't really know anymore. Wait for someone competent to reply :rolleyes:

Honestly, I think Alienware is all overpriced and overhyped garbage. Better off with a Sager if you're looking for raw power without the fancy shmancy paintjob and logos. The pentium M's are very decent gamers if you're looking for portability though, the 1.6ghz one averages around a p4 2.4 desktop processor. I can run things decently well (Far Cry bumps along at ~30fps on medium detail) on my laptop, the IBuyPower Battalion E-Series. See also the Gateway M505XL, or the ABS Computers zForce F2 .. all the same AOpen chassis.

http://www.ibuypower.com/confirm/configurator-battalion-E.htm
http://www.abspc.com/app/familyNote_home.asp

Biggest differences? IBuyPower's comes with DDR333 ram rather than DDR266, and .. they can do cool paintjobs. *shrug*

see? :D

thanx t0ad :)

I really don´t care that much about paintjobs and logos.
What I want is as much power as possible (since later upgrades are limited) and not having to sell my mom, dad and siblings on ebay to afford it.

It would be a total replacement for a desktop machine; gaming and other stuff. I won´t spend days in the park surfing wireless (if I need to be fancy I´ll put on a nice shirt), but rather have a laptop on my desk with the ability to lug it with me here and there.

More thoughts are greatly appreciated :D

if you want a whicked powerful laptop the new dell xps takes the cake.

with a 16 cell battery i bet you can do 3 hours on that puppy.

Actually...this takes the cake..

http://www.voodoocomputers.com/systems/advanced.aspx?t=2&p=250

That is..if you've got the dough. The only nod I will give alienware is the user upgradable GPU. Though technology moves so fast that little perk gets lost in the confusion when ATI or nVIDIA decides to switch around the structure of the GPUs and then you have to go out and buy a whole new laptop or send it back for a "$1000" upgrade for a new GPU. ;)

I'm a bit weary of the "3400+ and beyond" printed there though. Then again voodoo is no new overnight company that slaps machiens together. If that in fact means that a mobile A64 3700 + is coming.....I'd say hang on boys and girls.

Ive heard/read basically the same things, way overpriced, heavy and the battery life is short...

I would just go with another laptop, with some great options maybe even the same as alienware laptops, for a cheaper price.

my friend bought an alienware laptop and i got the chance to play with it for a few days. the laptop is really fast and plays games super nice. having said that, the same laptop once crashed 3 times when i was surfing around on the internet.

but it's all true, the laptop is really heavy and has a working battery life of about 2 hours. it probably gets even worse when the battery starts getting 'up there' in terms of charge cycles.

Just my 2 cents. I'd get an A64 based laptop. I assume with its purpose as gaming...it would last me longer in the haul. Alienware makes no A64 based laptop at the time.

I am buying one because this dell is OLD as HELL look at my sig for specs.

with that said and done. I paid 4,000 when this damn thing was on pre order-_- so 3,200 bux for

3.2HT
1024mb of DDR 400
Dual channel
7200RPM hard disk
128mb of video

are all things I can't wait to have. I mean look at what I am runing!!!!

I run program such as Discreets combustion 3.0 Premiere Pro and photoshop CS. and Tmpeg all of which support HT. I mean are any of you guys runing a 1.7 non HT and Pc2100 and no dual channel and a 5400 RPM drive? no DVD burner or CD burner?

Dell,sony,HP,voodoo,alienware have there problems. I am not hard on for cash so I picked alienware. and at only 3.2 k

WOW

Originally posted by Epyon
I am buying one because this dell is OLD as HELL look at my sig for specs.

with that said and done. I paid 4,000 when this damn thing was on pre order-_- so 3,200 bux for

3.2HT
1024mb of DDR 400
Dual channel
7200RPM hard disk
128mb of video

are all things I can't wait to have. I mean look at what I am runing!!!!

I run program such as Discreets combustion 3.0 Premiere Pro and photoshop CS. and Tmpeg all of which support HT. I mean are any of you guys runing a 1.7 non HT and Pc2100 and no dual channel and a 5400 RPM drive? no DVD burner or CD burner?

Dell,sony,HP,voodoo,alienware have there problems. I am not hard on for cash so I picked alienware. and at only 3.2 k

WOW

Wow. You're paying 3k for a Rebadged Sager or Uniwell. Oh, and the normal version of it, with the same specs, costs $500 less.

Oh, and you can get that, with an athlon 64, 64mb 9600 video, for about $1600 as well, with another brand.

everything is rebanged is some way or another. and to be looks do count LOL.

but I will look at that voodoo tho.

"everything is rebanged is some way or another. and to be looks do count LOL. but I will look at that voodoo tho."

Yep, it seems so. Seems to me that there are some expensive paint jobs out there!

I am looking for a notebook for my work (photo/video) and am looking at a machine with good raw power and a great screen. I have narrowed it down to an AMD64 based notebook just to get a bit better battery life and possibly some future proofing. At the high end the Voodoo Envy M:885, at the low end the eMachines M6807. If i get the eMachines i save $$$ now, wait for the 64-bit dust to settle a bit, then buy another it the next year or so. I will have something that does most of what I need now, then get the "perfect machine" and have the "old" M:885 as a backup.

I wish Sager had an AMD 64 notebook with the Fujitsu Crystal View Screen!!!!

Originally posted by Epyon
everything is rebanged is some way or another. and to be looks do count LOL.

but I will look at that voodoo tho.

Yeah, but is the name and the alien head worth $500 + ?

To some yes. Just like buying cars...Ferrari are slow but they look nice. I mean if you had 100,000 to dump into a z3 BMW it would have like 1,000 HP LOL

so yes to some its worth $500 for the alien head and paint and nice looking case

and yess the voodoos have 2gb memory and a 3.4 and other stuff. I am looking at the 17in screen...what ever one that is. upgradeable video would be nice if voodoo has it but its not a must for me since I just need it for 2 years. Then I get out of the navy and can get back to desktops LOL.

and yes I have cash.:p

Back