Alienware AW3418DW 34" Ultrawide

Got mine on Tuesday. Been loving it. Slightly worried about reports of yellowish whites. I can't REALLY tell for sure if mine exhibit the issues or not. Some people on Reddit it looks VERY apparent.

One example:
Gonna grab my friend's calibrator today and see about mine....

Mine for comparsion,

2017-11-29.jpg

Went and picked up an Open Box GTX 1080 to test. Still having problems getting it to overclock to 120hz. I keep getting transferred around from Dell support, to Alienware Hardware Support, to Alienware Software support (who is already closed for the day).

Don't know how easy it is to just ask them to send a replacement without going in circles with people who want to blame a monitor's ability to overclock on my Computer/GPU.

Can anyone tell me if this display has ULMB, and will run in ULMB at 120hz? Thanks in advance.

Don't believe any of the current Ultrawides do ULMB (Acer, Asus, Dell, etc.).

I can't REALLY tell for sure if mine exhibit the issues or not. Some people on Reddit it looks VERY apparent.

I did like someone posted about dragging a white window from left to right. It's very faint, but there is a slight change in the tint.

Last edited:
Hi guys, can anyone confirm if the HDMI is limited to 50hz on this monitor?

I got the monitor 2 weeks ago, and yesterday just tried the HDMI on a Macbook Pro 2016 with a HDMI 2.0 adaptor, and the system just shows 50Hz resolutions. Today i borrowed a laptop from a friend and the same thing happened, i can get 3440x1440 resolution at 50hz, nothing else.

On a side note i can use a Wii with a HDMI adaptor just fine on my projector (480p), this time the monitor shows no signal from the Wii as source.

Any insight would be apreciated

Not 100% myself, but a search seems to have people saying that HDMI 2.0 can't really handle 3440x1440 at higher refresh rates.

Went and picked up an Open Box GTX 1080 to test. Still having problems getting it to overclock to 120hz. I keep getting transferred around from Dell support, to Alienware Hardware Support, to Alienware Software support (who is already closed for the day).

Don't know how easy it is to just ask them to send a replacement without going in circles with people who want to blame a monitor's ability to overclock on my Computer/GPU.

This might seem silly, but try a different displayport port on your video card. Back in the Catleap DVI overclocking days, sometimes certain ports would allow for higher stable pixel clocks.

Tried a different displayport port. Same thing. Can't get any higher than 110hz.

Alienware support said they'd have a replacement shipped to me within 3-5 business days.

Mine was suppose to arrive on Friday, however now it's 12/3-12/6. Ordered 11/27.

I ordered mine on 11/23. Received it on 11/28.

Must've got in right before they ran out of the last batch.

Haven't received an email confirming details of my Advanced Exchange though but hopefully it goes out with the same shipment as the two of you.

Any chance we will see another sale on these? I'd consider one for $900 after coupon or something.

I ordered mine on 11/23. Received it on 11/28.

Must've got in right before they ran out of the last batch.

Haven't received an email confirming details of my Advanced Exchange though but hopefully it goes out with the same shipment as the two of you.

Why are you exchanging it already?[/QUOTE]

Because I've done a bunch of different types of troubleshooting and none of it will get the monitor to go past 110hz when it's advertised as being capable of 120hz?

Sounds like a minor thing, but when I'm shelling out this much money for a monitor I expect it to do what it's supposed to. I'm sure there are those who would look past it and keep it, but plenty that would also expect a working exchange or a refund.

Any chance we will see another sale on these? I'd consider one for $900 after coupon or something.

No way of knowing. It should eventually, but it seems the most recent one was because of Black Friday. Maybe a bit closer to Christmas?

Because I've done a bunch of different types of troubleshooting and none of it will get the monitor to go past 110hz when it's advertised as being capable of 120hz?

Sounds like a minor thing, but when I'm shelling out this much money for a monitor I expect it to do what it's supposed to. I'm sure there are those who would look past it and keep it, but plenty that would also expect a working exchange or a refund.

No way of knowing. It should eventually, but it seems the most recent one was because of Black Friday. Maybe a bit closer to Christmas?
I don't blame you one bit. If mine didn't do 120 with ease and stability I would have exchanged it in a second.

its advertised at 120 overclock that means its not guaranteed even if it is incredibly common compared to the previous 60 to 100hz ultrawides.

its advertised at 120 overclock that means its not guaranteed even if it is incredibly common compared to the previous 60 to 100hz ultrawides.
I think we know that. Still doesn't mean he shouldn't exchange it for one that can do the 120.

Last edited:
Yeah, if they're going to advertise the monitor as being able to do up to 120hz, then that means they're confident that a large majority of the panels will hit the target.

No reason to shortchange myself and accept any less. Hopefully all the panels are good about backlight bleed as I don't notice anything glaring with this one. I have noticed the subtle orange hue on the right side that someone else had posted about but it's not extremely noticeable plus I use f.lux anyway.

Reactions: Savoy
like this
Just got the email from Dell, looks like they're expecting my replacement to arrive Jan. 19, 2018.

Phone support originally said 3-5 business days. Guess they're really having trouble keeping enough inventory right now.

Do people actually use these big monitor for gaming?

I think there's a thing such as too big when you have to pan your head from left to right while playing a FPS to spot enemies.

I am a pretty big Battlefield 4 MP player and my wife surprised me with one of these Alienware 34's for our anniversary. The day prior I had picked up a 1070 Ti and I was testing it on my son's BenQ XL2420G 24" 144Hz 1080p G-SYNC monitor (my monitor is the Acer XB270HU - 27" 144Hz G-SYNC) and did better on the smaller resolution, screen (as expected) - moved to the Alienware 34 (OC'd to 120Hz) on my 1080 Ti and I have been surprised how much better I do in game. Completely anecdotal, but I've been through the history of 120Hz, 144Hz, etc. monitors and have always had MP pro-grade rigs so I at least have experience with it even if I'm not some great gamer.

ETA still says 12/3-12/6. At this point, I'm not very optimistic.
Mine took way longer to get here than was originally estimated too. They changed the date on me I think four times? You'll get it though. Just not when you want/expect it.

I am a pretty big Battlefield 4 MP player and my wife surprised me with one of these Alienware 34's for our anniversary. The day prior I had picked up a 1070 Ti and I was testing it on my son's BenQ XL2420G 24" 144Hz 1080p G-SYNC monitor (my monitor is the Acer XB270HU - 27" 144Hz G-SYNC) and did better on the smaller resolution, screen (as expected) - moved to the Alienware 34 (OC'd to 120Hz) on my 1080 Ti and I have been surprised how much better I do in game. Completely anecdotal, but I've been through the history of 120Hz, 144Hz, etc. monitors and have always had MP pro-grade rigs so I at least have experience with it even if I'm not some great gamer.

That's a heck of a nice gift from your wife (y)

first person games look insanely good on an ultrawide. BF1 is one of my faves.

So my order just got a delayed status and I had to give some sort of federal trade approval.

Looks like I'll be closer to 12/18 from an order on 11/27

I will say that when my wife "gifted me" the Alienware 34 for our anniversary - it was just an order page with an estimated ship date of mid-January 2018. We were both surprised when it showed up the next day.

So, despite the dates that you have - keep the faith - you may be surprised. FWIW she ordered 11/27 and paid $1149 (which bugs me because it was $999 when I linked her, heh).

I got mine about a week before the original estimated date as well.

Seems like some people actually do end up getting theirs late while others get it early.

Fingers crossed I'll get my replacement well before January. Or that they at least continue to cover "not hitting 120hz" as a valid reason to request an Advanced Exchange under their policy.

So had mine for a week now. Love it so far. Only really been playing Destiny 2 with it.

I do notice that @ 120Hz and with Gsync on (if that matters). I sometimes get a grey overlay when switching application windows. Has anyone else seen this?

1080 TI for reference as well.

So had mine for a week now. Love it so far. Only really been playing Destiny 2 with it.

I do notice that @ 120Hz and with Gsync on (if that matters). I sometimes get a grey overlay when switching application windows. Has anyone else seen this?

1080 TI for reference as well.

Nothing here. I haven't noticed any changes from 100Hz to 120Hz outside of the performance (which I can't even say I notice that all that much). I have only played BF4 on it. 1080 Ti, as well.

Received mine today from the $899 Newegg sale. Booted it up, OCed to 120hz with no issues. Little bit of backlight bleed in the bottom left and right but nothing terrible with no dead pixels.

Unfortunately mine is also afflicted with the yellow discoloration on the right side. I find it quite noticeable when doing anything on a white background. I'll probably contact Dell to see if there are any options for a replacement then hope it doesn't arrive with horrible BLB issues or dead pixels.

I also want to point out for anyone ordering this that the box is simply enormous, like almost comically large. Here it is next to my LG 34UC79G box (display is the same physical size). I definitely appreciate that it's well packaged but it seems like they could've probably reached a compromise somewhere in there. This box is going to take up quite a bit of space in the attic :)

^^^^ Yea, if / when you go to resell that down the line for a new monitor.... the shipping charges from UPS, Fedex, USPS, etc are going to be INSANE!

Unfortunately mine is also afflicted with the yellow discoloration on the right side. I find it quite noticeable when doing anything on a white background. I'll probably contact Dell to see if there are any options for a replacement then hope it doesn't arrive with horrible BLB issues or dead pixels.

I also want to point out for anyone ordering this that the box is simply enormous, like almost comically large.

My monitor has the yellow to it too. I'm waiting a replacement (due to not hitting 120hz) but am pretty sure it'll also have the yellow.

Has anyone received one that doesn't have the yellow tint?

And yeah, the box is crazy big. I like how they use the reusable clips for fastening it closed though.

My monitor has the yellow to it too. I'm waiting a replacement (due to not hitting 120hz) but am pretty sure it'll also have the yellow.

Has anyone received one that doesn't have the yellow tint?

And yeah, the box is crazy big. I like how they use the reusable clips for fastening it closed though.

mine's pretty uniform - whether or not it's yellow tint or not - I'm not sure I can tell because it's uniform. mine just has the minor backlight bleed in the bottom two corners. It's minor enough in real world use (if I'm not sitting here looking for flaws) that i've not decided if it's worth the hassle of sending it back and playing a refurb lottery game.

I also want to point out for anyone ordering this that the box is simply enormous, like almost comically large. Here it is next to my LG 34UC79G box (display is the same physical size). I definitely appreciate that it's well packaged but it seems like they could've probably reached a compromise somewhere in there. This box is going to take up quite a bit of space in the attic :)

No yellow on mine, fortunately. Just slight IPS glow in the very tips of the two lower corners (lower right/lower left; 0.5 inch radius from each tip) -- I'm very happy about that. 120Hz with no issues, too -- not mandatory, but a very nice bonus :)

The box is probably that well-packaged, because of all the mail/parcel carriers that toss/kick/push/who knows? the box (there are way too many videos on YouTube featuring inept delivery guys doing all kinds of crap to expensive stuff that they are supposed to deliver properly).

I'm tempted to think that the Alienware box could actually withstand what that FedEx guy does in the video (unlike your LG box, which would totally get wrecked).

Last edited:
I loved the way mine was packed. I thought it was very well thought out and put together by Dell to be honest.

Yeah, the box is huge but they definitely did a good job of packaging it and using plenty of good foam.

Just received my replacement monitor; going to go set it up now and see if it hits 120hz.

Both monitors were manufactured in August 2017 and Revision A00 for those who are interested.

Update:

So this one hit 120hz right off the bat. The yellow-ish tint is still there; again, it's really faint and most people probably won't notice it unless they're actually looking for it IMO.

I should've eyeballed the backlight bleed on the previous one before swapping this one in just to see if there's any difference. Replacement has a little more on the bottom-left corner than the bottom-right corner but not enough to bother me.

Will have to plug the old one in and check it later.

Last edited:
Ordered one today...$1149 minus Corp discount and expedited shipping was good enough for me.
Should be here Friday.

I have never had a widescreen, 34” or G-Sync monitor so I have to find out for myself.
I am running GTX 1080Ti SLI with a Mango 42” 4K, like it but just too curious.

We shall see if I keep it.

Ordered one today...$1149 minus Corp discount and expedited shipping was good enough for me.
Should be here Friday.

I have never had a widescreen, 34” or G-Sync monitor so I have to find out for myself.

your life is about to change my friend.

Should be here Friday.

I can chime in here on this. I was in a similar situation. For the last year until a few weeks ago I was using a Samsung 40" 4k which I really liked. I had always had my eye on the 34" it's since the Acer/Asus og panels hit the scene. That said I grabbed the cheap 4k TV last and was enjoying it. Then the deal for 999 came up last month on this Alienware. After debating with myself if I would really miss the vertical resolution I decided to take a shot.

Well ask I can say is ya totally worth it. The screen is all that and a bag of chips. Going back to ips and this time at 21:9 aspect ratio and with 120hz motion clarity and gsync? Fucking glorious bro. In the last couple of weeks I really spent some time gaming and it's been awesome. I been playing a mix of bf1, destiny 2, codww2, star wars bf2, overwatch and pubg. I might have missed one maybe but you get the idea. Been great seriously. I learned that for me I keep my games fps slightly under 120fps so that gsync is always active and things look stellar. Couple of times I left a game totally uncapped fps wise and I saw a little tearing. That's because I don't have vsync on on the nvcpl. I don't do that because I don't want any input lag introduced. Even though from what I've read it's very slight I find keeping my fps under 120 does the trick and thus gsync is always active.

All in all was a great move and off your after motion clarity and a crisp clean gaming experience you'll love it.

Thanks guys, I am jacked!

FedEx notified me it arrives tomorrow, might need to call in sick so I can sign for it and start gaming.

BF1, SW BF2 and CODWWII are first up.

Reactions: Savoy
like this
Back