Alienware ALX (dual-NV45) benchmarks

Sun_tzu617 said:
YOu have to know one thing, its not top of the kline, they usually lowwer the price little by little on (polder) models....did u add in teh 9800 pro, the non generic ram, the real corsair ram, which is decent 232, teh 500gb hdd, etc, that i had said? Im getting aroudn 3 grand for those specs....but this is with a 3500 amd 64 and an x800 pro, which will add up to like a 300 buck diff, so in all u save around $800....Ive looked at everymodel they make, and each one costs arond $800 more...

$800 is a small premium to pay, if you want the other features Alienware offers. Why is this thread still going?

IdiotInCharge said:
Why is this thread still going?

question is: why did the thread turn into yet ANOTHER alienware good/bad argument and the initial idea of the benchmakrs and the technical aspects went down the drain?

i e-mailed AW and asked them why their configurator only mentions one video card here is the response:

Dear Sam,

Thank you for showing interest in our company. The ALX system we are
offering right now is not a dual video card system. It is a single
video card, single CPU system. The one you are thinking about is not
going to be available until quarter four of this year.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you

Melvin Alvarez
ALX Agent
[email protected]
-----------------------------------------------
Are they friggen crazy!!!! $5000+ for a computer that only has one video card and one proc!!! this is ridicuoulous that should be the price for two of each!

Told Ya!! Does anyone else see what they are trying to do?
They have all these benches saying the ALX system has 2 proc and 2 video cards.....then they make alx systems that dont even have 2x proc and 2x video!!

advanced101101 said:
i e-mailed AW and asked them why their configurator only mentions one video card here is the response:

Dear Sam,

Thank you for showing interest in our company. The ALX system we are
offering right now is not a dual video card system. It is a single
video card, single CPU system. The one you are thinking about is not
going to be available until quarter four of this year.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you

Melvin Alvarez
ALX Agent
[email protected]
-----------------------------------------------
Are they friggen crazy!!!! $5000+ for a computer that only has one video card and one proc!!! this is ridicuoulous that should be the price for two of each!

A comp configed with a ONE 6800Ultra had a ship date of 8/17/2004??? What the heck! :rolleyes:

they are making it sound like ther are ywo vpu's and stuff thats why they are shipping it at that time..... they want to make it seem as if they need to develope it more before they build it, even though you can build it now EASY!

AACI_CIO said:
A comp configed with a 6800Ultra had a ship date of 8/17/2004??? What the heck! :rolleyes:

thats quarter 4..... i bet they leaked all the benches so that noobs would not read the fine print, and just configure and buy an ALX pc right now.... but it isnt a true alx...when it comes out itll be like, oh, but you didnt configure it with 2x proc and 2xvpu, want ot buy one that does? :eek:

Sun_tzu617 said:
thats quarter 4..... i bet they leaked all the benches so that noobs would not read the fine print, and just configure and buy an ALX pc right now.... but it isnt a true alx...when it comes out itll be like, oh, but you didnt configure it with 2x proc and 2xvpu, want ot buy one that does? :eek:

August is 3rd quarter. The computer I configed had ONE proc and ONE video card. 4thQ starts in Oct.

AACI_CIO said:
August is 3rd quarter. The computer I configed had ONE proc and ONE video card. 4thQ starts in Oct.

Eh, off by a few months...wahtever.....BUT STILL!!! WTF ARE THESE JOKERS DOING!

Sun_tzu617 said:
Eh, off by a few months...wahtever.....BUT STILL!!! WTF ARE THESE JOKERS DOING!

Exactly. Also, I would pay $500 for a mobo with that capacity. Yes, even at $500 per card, I would pay $500 for the mobo because I would have a 3 year computer on my hands (well, maybe :D ). That's $1500 for video and mobo.... :eek: I think I would spring for some peltier+water cooling to become an uber freak on 3DMark. The cooling would be a drop in the $$$ bucket after paying for the video+mobo.

hell if they are charging 5 grand for that system....i bet the REAL alx (xproc xvpu) would be around 4.5-5 grand tops.... they gonna charge around 6-7 grand i bet!

In my opinion 6k is too much to spend on a computer unless you are rich, and if you are rich then i dont like you... give me some $$ :p

"According to Kevin Wasielewski, Vice President of Marketing at Alienware, internal lab benchmarks to their new Video Array technology were recently leaked to the Internet. In response, Alienware emailed THG and other news outlets the same document."

Recently leaked? And so the VP rings around, emailing out the goods?

I don't think this is a leak. I think its building hype. And I'll believe those numbers when I see them from a reputable hardware site. (Go to www.gateway.com and see how they compare their rigs with the competition - The 'Live Sales Chat' is especially entertaining, as I just found out - lord only knows what they say around the office.) I'll care about those numbers when I see how well they pull off maintaining the IQ. Further interesting that it didn't make the news on the [H] itself.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up in the thread so far, even. Then again, I didn't read 100% of it with care.

Gateway is now working with the infamous E-machines now. Both companies have one thing in common, they create shitty products!

1 thing I don't know if you realize or not, the dualie ALX machines use major components that haven't gone retail yet, heck the NDA's aren't even over on them yet. Nocona, and Lindhurst (possibly tumwater rather than Lindhurst, but not likely), both are unreleased Intel products, and you can't expect Alienware to ship systems before the hardware is released.

Wow gotta love these multi-page multi-opinion threads masquerading under a single topic.
As I recall the old Voodoo SLi rigs had the cards draw every other line. Why did AW choose a top-half/bottom-half setup? Is the performance better?

advanced101101 said:
Gateway is now working with the infamous E-machines now. Both companies have one thing in common, they create shitty products!

[slaps around a bit with a large trout]

NEVER say ill of Gateway :mad:

But what Emachines have to do with Alienware aside from being sold at Best Buy is beyond me. Staying on-topic is a skill you'll use for the rest of your life, remember that.

i guess people have become smart all of a sudden, and know of a ripp off when they see one....but therte are still some out there that buy alienware still... :p

Marcdaddy said:
Dropped due to lack of sales my friend told me who works in the corprate office for BB

And from someone who was a PC/HO sup at BB at the time they started, their QA on their BB builds sucked ass.

you take 10 people from this site and hand them 5000 and say build me a computer. They would build you a better one than that pos for 3500 with single card and higher benches.

Just to add in some additional information on the "price & warranty/service" part of this discussion:
I own my own custom built pc business, and my company DOES give a full 1, 2, or 3 year warranty AND a 24/7 live tech support with 3 contact phone #'s so someone can always be reached.
With that said, you guys who are arguing the extra cost is worth the warranty/service offered by AW, you need to know that the statistics show that only 1 out of every 50 PC's (built RIGHT) will have some type of problem that requires a hardware replacement.
And it is not only the end-user that has a warrenty. I, as the builder, have a warranty on each individual part I buy from a distributer.
Also, as we all know, prices drop on components almost weekly.
So, combining those two facts together, you have the following senerio:

(note* this is a TRUE STORY)
Joe Blow (obviously not his real name ;) ) buys a PC from me. His GPU (a All-in-Wonder 9700Pro) goes bad in 8 months. He contacts me about the problem.
Now, since I own a buisness, I get my components cheaper than you can even find them on PriceWatch or PriceGrabber. But, those are the places I use to put a sale price on my PC's. The differnce is my proffit. As well as any Custom mod work, paint, ect..
Now this card that had a value of $450 8 months ago, I can replace with a A-I-W 9800Pro, which is a better card, for only $320. Still leaving me an $130 proffit.
Now, the customer is VERY happy because He actually got a better card.(which is VERY good for business) I am still happy because I still made money, AND because I still have the reciepts for the original card, I can return it to ATI and get it replaced. And once replaced, I can resell it and make even more money.

In other words, the $600 to $1,000 price differnece for an AW because of warranty/service is still alot of over-priced BS. Even if something I build passes my burn-in testing I do on all systems prior to handing them over to the client, then goes bad almost immediatly upon delivery, and I have to replace something that the price hasn't droped yet, I STILL make money because the part I have to replace can be RMA'ed and replaced for me to resale. Plus it is only (statisticly) 1 out of 50 that I have to do this to. So I still have the profit from the other 49 systems I built.

So, I will say it again, the $600 to $1,000 price differnece for an AW because of warranty/service is still alot of over-priced BS.

Back