Alienware 14 Laptop upgrade help

kenprescott21

Limp Gawd
Wanting to make my old laptop last a little longer

It's a i7' 4700mq with 8Gig memory, 750 gig c: drive and a 750gt/4600 intel hd.
(BIOS/Version date: 6/6/2013)

The 750 is fine for my resolution (1366X768) I know its low but I haven't found a screen upgrade for 1080.

I'm looking to:
Add msata for windows boot and a few games
Upgrade ram to 16 gigs
*Maybe a screen upgrade if its available I wouldn't know where to look.
Also battery crapped out so a new or upgraded on of those, also.

Any help would be appreciated, I haven't built a desktop in along time.

I can purchase items now or wait. Basically I want this thing to last a little while longer until I move back to MA, where there is a MicroCenter close by so I can make a desktop again.

Thanks [H] Laptop guys!

Dont know if there's better bang/buck but I'm thinking:
MSATA: Samsung EVO 850 250Gig
-Windows 10 is 11 Gigs + Games should be good?
Amazon.com: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB mSATA 2-Inch SSD (MZ-M5E250BW): Computers & Accessories

RAM: Corsair Vegeance 16Gig
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge...-2&keywords=samsung+8gb+1600+mhz+ddr+3+sodimm

Battery: Its a 69W G05YJ
Like this: 69WH G05YJ Laptop Battery for Dell Alienware 14 A14 M14X R4 Y3PN0 8X70T 0G05YJ
Don't know if theres a upgrade path

And a screen if possible.

Edit: If anyone has anything like this for sale let me know, Ill see if I can find my old Heatware and we could make a deal.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd say optimize your software first and do general clean up including running programs like ccleaner, superantispyware, malwarebytes, etc. What problems do you think you are having that you need to update it?

I have no virii', spyware or any of the sort. I've run this install of windows 8.1/10 since I had it and want to do a clean install to get rid of programs/junk that I thought I'd always use and never really do.

So I figured why not add a msata and install win10 on that, hell while I'm in there upgrade the ram.

My gaming of cs:go, Farcry, Watch dogs, Fallout NV and such all run pretty fine as is. So no real problems really. Just wanted to maximize the laptop now.

I have the Alienware 14 (picked up an outlet refurb on it about 2 years ago) and ordered a Crucial M500 MSATA drive for mine and tossed in 16gb of Crucial 1600mhz memory. Mine already had the 1080p screen and 765m, but I can say the 1080p screen if you can find it is gorgeous.

Back