• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Aliens vs. Predator: DirectX 11 benchmarks

tessellation doesn't really seem to do much in making the alien look more complex in their screenshots. slight difference between Advanced and Normal shadows but I doubt it would be noticeable unless someone was really looking for it. surprised 4X MSAA is so jaggy.
 
I will wait for [H]s article to verify performance.

Come on Brent, sleep is for the weak!!!
 
I am not so sure how they did the test, but I have disable one of my GPU and still have way higher FPS than their benchmark o_O
 
Indeed tessellation is barely noticeable. I'd be scratching my head if the images weren't labelled although I could figure it out since it bulged out more. I'm not sure I'm seeing much more detail though. They could have just made the model slightly wider lol.
 
Tessellation and advanced shadows from the DX11 screenshots look almost identical to the images from DX9.

The only thing that wowed me was the water effects of tessellation from DX11, otherwise DX11 is garbage due to only slightly improved image quality but large performance impact.
 
Tessellation and advanced shadows from the DX11 screenshots look almost identical to the images from DX9.

The only thing that wowed me was the water effects of tessellation from DX11, otherwise DX11 is garbage due to only slightly improved image quality but large performance impact.

it doesn't look identical at all, try to play the game through for 10 min with DX9, then play in DX11, there is a huge differences...

Its like Crysis how people compare DX9 and DX10 on a single screenshot while the actual gameplay have way different image quality to begin with, especially motion blur really bump the whole graphic up.
 
the tessellation is most noticable with the aliens head appearing smoother and rounder...but like I said it's not exactly selling dx11 to me just yet...especially considering the HD5870 hovers between 25-30fps at that low resolution.
 
the tessellation is most noticable with the aliens head appearing smoother and rounder...but like I said it's not exactly selling dx11 to me just yet...especially considering the HD5870 hovers between 25-30fps at that low resolution.

it does not hover around that fps at all, not quite sure how they test it, but my 5970 is rolling with 100-140 fps constantly...

there must be something wrong with their test....

disabling one of my GPU result with +/- 70fps.
 
it does not hover around that fps at all, not quite sure how they test it, but my 5970 is rolling with 100-140 fps constantly...

there must be something wrong with their test....

disabling one of my GPU result with +/- 70fps.

if that is the case...and you do have ALL the settings the same. What FPS do you get for DX9 then? would be interesting whether you can average 200fps.
 
The big performance hits appear to be Advanced Shadows and 4xMSAA though, Tessellation was a very small hit. Also I think tessellation may be an effect more noticeable when the creature is moving, it might appear rounded off and well sculpted from any angle not just head on.
 
I will wait for [H]s article to verify performance.

Come on Brent, sleep is for the weak!!!

Ours is in progress, but we want to make sure it is complete, thorough, and informative, and covers a wide range of AMD cards, from 5670 to 5970, so please be patient :)

A lot of effort has been put in to picking out the best level to use to FRAPS as well, we want to make sure Tessellation and the Advanced Shadows and High Quality Textures are all part of the actual FRAPS test in the most extreme way possible.
 
if that is the case...and you do have ALL the settings the same. What FPS do you get for DX9 then? would be interesting whether you can average 200fps.

about the same, beside 10-20fps bump in average... :confused:
 
I will wait for [H]s article to verify performance.

Come on Brent, sleep is for the weak!!!

Perhaps, but it is sadly a requirement of continued existence.

But be patient, grasshopper. You shall receive what you seek.
 
Meh....the game isn't that great and DX11 was underperforming here. No excuse, considering Dirt 2 didn't really incurr a hit performance wise. It just didn't offer much more depth to visuals.
 
Meh....the game isn't that great and DX11 was underperforming here. No excuse, considering Dirt 2 didn't really incurr a hit performance wise. It just didn't offer much more depth to visuals.

DiRT 2 had a pretty hefty performance drop in DX11 mode

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/12/23/dirt_2_gameplay_performance_image_quality/7

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/12/23/dirt_2_gameplay_performance_image_quality/4

In AvP, the performance hit really isn't too bad, that article reeks of bullshit. Also, in DX11 the lighting + smoother models DO make a difference in AvP, at least to me.
 
Interesting, I haven't heard anything about the shadow techniques they're using but they definitely aren't worth the perf hit. Even zoomed in there's barely any difference, why did they bother?
 
If I understood something that people were walking about last week when Charlie D. over at SemiAccurate announced some GTX 4xx numbers, this might be a good sign for the GTX 4xx. Hate to bring these guys up but I need a reference point to the article, but IIFC tessellation is supposed to be a string suit for the GTX 4xx. I guess we'll all know without a doubt around March 26.

At any rate getting ready to pull the trigger on a new build, i7-980 and three GTX 480s and three 24" 1920x1200 monitors for gaming. Sounds like newer games are going to need some of the power for top line settings at 5760x1200 types of resolutions.
 
Back
Top