Algae? Advice?

XViper

Gawd
I built this rig about a year or so ago and I've drained it about every year. I replaced both RX480's due to them leaking. I flush the new radiators with distilled always. Looks like something ended up growing. Maybe not enough PT-nuke since I have a fairly significant size loop. See sig.

I'm upgrading to a single GTX 1080.

I think I need to throw in a silver coil in addition to PT-nuke. How much PT-nuke should I be using though? Maybe I'm not putting enough? I'm going to spend tonight cleaning this entire system out.
D4KzJkn.jpg

Any additional advice or cleaning methods? I'm going to be probably working on cleaning this thing out probably all throughout today. I suspect it's the radiators as i never had any issues before. I also changed a few fittings but those were cleaned out as well.

I built this rig about a year or so ago and I've drained it about every year. I replaced both RX480's due to them leaking. I flush the new radiators with distilled always. Looks like something ended up growing. Maybe not enough PT-nuke since I have a fairly significant size loop. See sig.

I'm upgrading to a single GTX 1080.

I think I need to throw in a silver coil in addition to PT-nuke. How much PT-nuke should I be using though? Maybe I'm not putting enough? I'm going to spend tonight cleaning this entire system out
D4KzJkn.jpg

Any additional advice or cleaning methods? I'm going to be probably working on cleaning this thing out probably all throughout today. I suspect it's the radiators as i never had any issues before. I also changed a few fittings but those were cleaned out as well.

I would suggest tearing all your blocks down and giving them a toothbrush scrub. Use a bleach/water mix (1 to 10 IIRC)

The radiators, well, I don't think you'll get those cleaned out. You might try some hot water and bleach for those as well. Just make sure you replace all of the o-rings on all the blocks after you do that. Bathtub is a good place to do this.

You gotta be careful with that PT nuke. That stuff is pretty corrosive and will eat through bare copper if you use too much. Personally, I would get a coolant concentrate that has it all pre-mixed. I highly recommend the concentrates from EK.

use automotive antifreeze, been running it for close to 5yrs without any algae, corrosion, or any other coolant related issues.

Cleaned it all up. Looks good. PT Nuke is corrosive as while I was cleaning, I saw the copper XSPC block etched.

Does the bleach solution damage the rubber seals? I have to clean the R9 blocks this weekend.

Cleaned it all up. Looks good. PT Nuke is corrosive as while I was cleaning, I saw the copper XSPC block etched.

Does the bleach solution damage the rubber seals? I have to clean the R9 blocks this weekend.

If you mix the bleach properly, it shouldn't hurt the seals pending on material and solution strength. However, I personally wouldn't risk that. I would go ahead and split the blocks and scrub them with a toothbrush and the mixture. Follow that with a good hot water rinse, and then reinstall. If you know what the oring material is, here is a nice guide.

Back