Albatron makes PCIx to AGP adapter

bobyjo

Limp Gawd
One of the major costs associated with the upgrade from AGP platform to PCI Express is the price of a PCIe compatible video card. Albatron's new bridge card that promises to seamlessly link AGP x8 compatible video cards with PCI Express slots could seriously bring down the total cost of a system overhaul and leave more money in customers' pockets for other parts.

Your AGP-8x card simply piggybacks on the ATOP card's AGP-8x slot located on the top edge. The ATOP card is then plugged into the mainboard's PCI-Express slot. The only other installation requirements are replacing the bracket on the AGP-8x card with an ATOP bracket and installing the appropriate driver.

As reported on www.rage3d.com

thats awesome i just ordered a epox 9nda3 cause i didnt want to go pci express yet, maybe ill sell that and get a different mobo in the mean time :) good post I wonder how well it works.

Thats a big card to piggy back on.

Wonder how the big cards are going to handle it.

Cause you noticed they only showed it with a cheapie that dosn't even have active cooling..

Neat.

If I decide to I can keep my 6800 GT when I go PCI Express.
But by that time I will probably have a newer gen card like the G70.

Thats ghetto looking. They showed it with a small form factor bracketted card. I'd hate to see a 6800GT on that thing. It wouldn't fit most cases.

Sorry I placed a PCIx there instead of PCIe. My Bad. Beg your forgiveness?

I happen to be in the shoes of the person that thought up this device. I paid $500 for a X800 XT VIVO card about a year ago. Today I probably would be good if it would bring $350 or so. A hi end X850 XT PCIe card is over $500 so I would have to be out another $150 if I could get $350 for my card. I really like the card I have, and don't really want to change everything as yet. As for now if I understand it this device only supports the nVidia 6600 line or some 6800's. They do not even discuss the Radeon line and this device. Maybe later when they go on sale to the general public, that might happen. Untill then I will run the nForce 3 Ultra. May be about as good as nF4, don't know but according to some people in the know, tell the the nF 3 Ultra is the same as the nF4 chipset except the nF3 Ultra supports AGP instead of PCIe.

Anyone seen any review of this thing? I'd be really interested if it really does work (with negligible performance loss)

until such time as somebody figures out a way to cram an x800 or 6800 chipset onto a low profile card, i'm afraid this thing is low-end only, like GF4MX or fx5200 type cards. Plus they say it causes up to a 10% performance hit, it's basically the nVidia bridge chip on a PCI-E card, if I recall correctly. Better off picking up a PCI-E 6600GT, IMHO.

Back