Alan Wake 2

So this will be more horror based? Could work, but I liked the more action approach of the first game.

Yeah I'm a bit skeptical. I loved the pacing of the first game and it achieved a feeling of horror through the atmosphere that it presented. But this is Remedy, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, nervous about the survival horror bandwagon, but loved everything Remedy has done so far...

Alan Wake 2– Road to the Announcement | Development Diary

The journey to announcing Alan Wake 2 starts almost 10 years ago, and ends at The Game Awards in 2021...

Remedy Entertainment has given fans a new update today about Alan Wake 2 on the 12th anniversary of the game's original launch...back at The Game Awards in December, Remedy revealed that it was working on a sequel to the beloved action-adventure title...while there's still very little that we have seen of Alan Wake 2 overall, the studio gave us a brief new glimpse of the project today

In a new video released by Remedy today, director Sam Lake gave a few peeks at what Alan Wake 2 is going to look like...when talking about the game and how its development is going, the video showed a handful of pieces of concept art from Alan Wake 2...

https://twitter.com/SamLakeRMD/status/1609575201116758019

Wake.png

Is the reply function on this forum glitched? see above

I have noticed that the default placement of the cursor is within the quoted content not after it

Is the reply function on this forum glitched? see above

I have noticed that the default placement of the cursor is within the quoted content not after it
Still defaults to under the quote, for me, though I'm usually in BB code view.

The first game was repetitive and boring, and I really disliked Control...
I'm thinking I'm not a fan of remedy games...

But I love horror, so if this is more horror survival and isn't as repetitive and boring as the first, I'll get it, Otherwise I'll just read the plot once it's out.

The first game was repetitive and boring, and I really disliked Control...
I'm thinking I'm not a fan of remedy games...

But I love horror, so if this is more horror survival and isn't as repetitive and boring as the first, I'll get it, Otherwise I'll just read the plot once it's out.
I was watching a Let's Play of Control due to the huge praise surrounding it. I do that sometimes for singleplayer games of genres I know I don't like to actually play myself. People said its story was interesting too. Yet watching it...seemed to be one of the most boring/repetitive games imaginable, and although the story initially had promise, that ended up being as dull as heck too. Did a whole lot of skipping. All style (graphics), zero substance.

I was watching a Let's Play of Control due to the huge praise surrounding it. I do that sometimes for singleplayer games of genres I know I don't like to actually play myself. People said its story was interesting too. Yet watching it...seemed to be one of the most boring/repetitive games imaginable, and although the story initially had promise, that ended up being as dull as heck too. Did a whole lot of skipping. All style (graphics), zero substance.

You're exactly right, Control had so much potential, so much opportunity, but they just didn't do anything with the rich scp universe at their fingertips. Instead they made a clone of Infamous: Second Son, with stupid rock enemies the entire game, and a magic gun, with pretty set pieces.

It lacked variety and lore, both of which they had ample opportunity to use from the universe they chose to use.

Alan Wake was just as bad, so I'm not holding my breath for this one to be any better.

That really doesn't add anything new compared to the trailer released a couple weeks ago.

I'm not sure if it was revealed previously but Remedy’s Sam Lake stated that you’ll be able to freely switch between Saga Anderson and Alan Wake following a brief introductory chapter featuring Saga...both characters will have their own stories, and it will be up to you at what pace you want to progress them

my maiden heart yearns for the original vision of open world Alan Wake

the game we deserved but never got

You're exactly right, Control had so much potential, so much opportunity, but they just didn't do anything with the rich scp universe at their fingertips. Instead they made a clone of Infamous: Second Son, with stupid rock enemies the entire game, and a magic gun, with pretty set pieces.

It lacked variety and lore, both of which they had ample opportunity to use from the universe they chose to use.

Alan Wake was just as bad, so I'm not holding my breath for this one to be any better.

It had a lot of good lore, but just kind of dropped the ball when it came to tying it all up. Not every story needs to be spoon fed but I still had too many questions that were unanswered to be satisfied.

I'm not sure if it was revealed previously but Remedy’s Sam Lake stated that you’ll be able to freely switch between Saga Anderson and Alan Wake following a brief introductory chapter featuring Saga...both characters will have their own stories, and it will be up to you at what pace you want to progress them

My guess is Wake will have a few short sections that you can switch to at any time.

I liked the original Alan Wake, but the combat got really old. I kept going just to see where the story went. The gameplay footage they've shown so far already looks better than anything in the first game. I like the vibe, too. I found Control to be disappointing on all fronts. It wasn't horrible or anything, it just felt like a shitload of missed opportunities all around. I loved the idea but didn't dig the execution.

seems like they built Control as an RT demo showcase and built the gameplay and story around the RT

seems like they built Control as an RT demo showcase and built the gameplay and story around the RT
It went on too long.

Black for the PS2 and Xbox was just a gun simulation with different set pieces, but they tied the levels together with a story and fun gameplay. Control was lacking both.

I have Quantum Break, but I don't want to play it because I assume it'll be just as bad as their other games.

I liked the original Alan Wake, but the combat got really old.

It was essentially the same as all 3rd person shooters, which is never going to live up to a first person shooter. So I agree, but within the confines of its perspective it gets the job done.

I have to say Alan Wake 2 looks kind of like Resident Evil. Seems like it may end up playing like RE4 Remake, maybe minus the crafting.

I have Quantum Break, but I don't want to play it because I assume it'll be just as bad as their other games.

I liked the story in QB. The gameplay and combat is also fun, but it is quite a bit like Control. Both of which play like 95% of all 3rd person shooters ever created. So if you don't like Control you won't like QB. The live action TV mini series split between missions was kind of pointless. It mainly focused on side characters that largely don't appear in the gameplay, and your choices and actions you make in game are fairly small so the differences in the live action sequence aren't noteworthy either. The game would have been better with shorter and more relevant in game rendered cut scenes.

Last edited:
I liked the story in QB. The gameplay and combat is also fun, but it is quite a bit like Control. Both of which play like 95% of all 3rd person shooters ever created. So if you don't like Control you won't like QB. The live action TV mini series split between missions was kind of pointless. It mainly focused on side characters that largely don't appear in the gameplay, and your choices and actions you make in game are fairly small so the differences in the live action sequence aren't noteworthy either. The game would have been better with shorter and more relevant in game rendered cut scenes.
My problem with both Alan wake and control isn't the gameplay, but the lack of enemy variety, how easy they were, and a story that isn't as good as it can be.

But maybe Quantum Break is a better story. After I'm done with the Fear games I might give it a try

IGN’s nerd crew came away VERY impressed with a supposed “30 min behind closed door” gameplay they saw today.

I’ll be looking forward to it.

Lots of downers in this thread. Alan Wake has some of the best if not the best atmosphere out of any video game that I played. And the whole mystery surrounding it was so intriguing. Felt like I was playing a Twilight Zone episode or something. If they can capture that same atmosphere and feel, and throw in some more Poets of the Fall / Old Gods of Asgard, then this is going to be something very special indeed.

Alan Wake 2 Q&A

Are we going to see any of the Control characters in Alan Wake 2?

No comment. Well, I mean, the game is a big part I went to is a big part of the Remedy Connected Universe, so take that as you will. I do want to say that it's really important that this game is very accessible, even if you haven't played the first game that made Control. But if you have played our previous games, the first and the second expansion of Control (AWE), which kind of spells out how this whole game begins, then yeah, there's a lot of connections there and a lot of stuff to find out

Can you clarify the character switching, is it a set number of missions per character, or can you do certain missions with either character?

No. Good question. So, no, each character has their own set of missions, so they have their own story in any order after the beginning. And then once you get to the end of Alan Wake 2, we're going to kind of force you to play it in a certain way. But it's really important to understand that it's not like you get to play this mission with Alan as well. They both have their own stories

With the two intertwined campaigns, can you discuss roughly how long Alan Wake 2 will take to complete?

It depends on your skills, but currently (and the game is not quite done yet because a lot of the content is still going in), we're looking at over 20 hours

Can we expect additional stories besides the base game, just like with Control?

Yeah, we are gonna do two expansions, but we're not really saying anything about that. But if you got to follow what we did on Control, it'll be something similar

https://wccftech.com/alan-wake-2-qa...th-arent-concerned-with-octobers-competition/

I’m replaying Quantum Break right now on my new 4090 and, maxed out at 4K, it looks and plays fantastic (I think it looks better than Control, and even better than many contemporary games).

I’ve just realized that Remedy is my new favourite developer, especially taking into account the recent death of Arkane.

I have a really good feeling about Alan Wake 2 right now. Fingers crossed.

Pushed back to October 27 due to fear of losing sales to other games coming out in October.

https://x.com/alanwake/status/1692174551466316121

I like their honesty...instead of more time for bug fixes etc they say the truth- too many big releases are planned for October and they are moving the date to give their game the best chance to succeed:

"October is an amazing month for game launches and we hope this date shift gives more space for everyone to enjoy their favorite games"

I think this is smart. We know other companies do this, it's just unusual for someone to say it. Why compete with a pile of other releases when you can wait a little and potentially do better?

Only 10 days, not that big of a deal. Too bad Spider Man 2 will probably be two years away on PC.

Back