Airports Begin Using Facial Recognition on US Citizens

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Facial recognition technology is now being used on US citizens at the George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston and Logan International Airport in Boston. The proliferation of this technology is interesting in itself, but the story here is that legislation authorizing the use of biometric technology on US citizens hasn’t even passed yet. Congress has okayed facial recognition for foreign nationals entering and exiting the country, however.

"It's disconcerting," said Harrison Rudolph, a law fellow at Georgetown University who focuses on the intersection of technology and legal policy. "There's reason to think this rollout is only just beginning, and that more airports are going to start deploying, or more airlines are going to be deploying facial recognition at the boarding gate." In its announcement for Houston, CBP wrote that photos of U.S. citizens successfully matched to a passport photo are "automatically determined to be out of scope for biometric exit purposes and the photo is discarded after a short period of time." The agency then offered its assurances that its officials are committed to privacy.

They arent even asking the citizenry at all. Its all jsut being done. Every thoroughfare in my city records license plates now. There was no vote, no discussion, just money from the federal government to install cameras to spy on every citizen in the city.

I don't get why they're so worried about airports when the government was the one that was flying the planes on 9/11 in the first place.

They arent even asking the citizenry at all. Its all jsut being done. Every thoroughfare in my city records license plates now. There was no vote, no discussion, just money from the federal government to install cameras to spy on every citizen in the city.
Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Yup. Good luck fighting it. The Supremes think you need to have it used against you to have an actual case of 4th amendment violation. My latest passport is almost ten years old now and its had an rfid chip in it. They track you the second you walk through the terminal doors. Makes dealing with the TSA tards that much more annoying.

Next will be prediction by watching you for months on different cameras

You're walking through one of the most heavily surveilled public places in the country. You are already on camera. You are already required to show a photo ID to get through security. You already have a human matching your face to your ID card. What difference does it make if some piece of software is matching your face to a database?

IMO there might be a focus on the wrong thing here. If you're concerned about abuse of these types of systems, you should probably focus on the back end and ask what types of databases they're connecting to and why do those databases have a photo of your face to begin with.

I may be in the minority too but it could be that facial recognition is going to be mostly used to ID strippers.

Yup. Good luck fighting it. The Supremes think you need to have it used against you to have an actual case of 4th amendment violation. My latest passport is almost ten years old now and its had an rfid chip in it. They track you the second you walk through the terminal doors. Makes dealing with the TSA tards that much more annoying.
Public property, no expectation of privacy, etc. etc.

But really? Intercontinental Airport? Why are they all uppity up with the title? Every other airport just says International, and yeah they fly to other continents too.

Back