Airlink+ AR315W

wormkid

n00b
Anyone bought that router? What is the performance of yours?

I found mine communication distance is very poor. Only 5-6 meters out of my room with router inside and door closed. :mad:

door has nothing to do with it. the signals dont "bounce" off of anything
old house? probably just alot of material thats bad for microwave radio.

or a very very weak AP and client card

Yeah, the door is somekind thick of metal, but the wall is wood and brick hybrid. I also think it's not important! Will the 11b&11g mixing mode draw down the performance? :(

What's your experience of indoor communication, how long in distance?

Thanks!

Microwaves can and do bounce. that is what multipath is, which is a fairly common problem on homemade WLAN's. Microwave ovens wouldn't work to well if they didn't bounce, which just happens to be the same frequency as .11b and .11g networks. Police radar would have a hard time as well. 2.4 Ghz EMR will pass through glass, plastic and even some metals while bouncing off other metals and materials, including some wood. Microwaves will bounce off pretty much any conductive material. In varying degrees mind you. The microwave spectrum is wide. I believe 10 Mhz to 300,000 Mhz if I remember correctly. Multipath is waves bouncing off nearby objects then taking odd routes away from the radiator. You won't experience multipath if you have some clearance from the antennas and if you have two antenna vs one your better off as far as multipath problems are concerned. At least if the AP is setup to use diversity between the antenna. If you have the AP with dipoles in a shelf corner then you could have multipath issues. The AP, or antenna(s) if they are seperated, should have two or three feet of open space. Obviously it has to set on something and it does matter what polarization your antennas have as well as how you have them oriented. Basically move your AP to an open area and see if it helps. You mentioned metal as well as brick and wood. All bad things when it comes to low power microwave. Even wood, which would probably be the most porous of those three objects contain water, which is an RF killer. It is definitely "important". Mixing .11b and .11g clients will slow the overall performance of your AP. How much depends on how well the firmware is written by your AP mfg. As far as your question on distance. Mine isn't the same as yours nor anyone else's here because all our environments are different, and not just floor layout and construction materials. Humidity, other 2.4 Ghz devices in the area and several other variables make any comment about coverage anecdotal and largely irrelevant to your situation. You can add gain to your AP if you have detachable antennas or build a dish to "push" coverage to one direction. Ways to do get better coverage. Just hard to tell what will work for you without looking at it.

ktwebb,

Does it mean that if I have two antennas on my router, it will be better. Also, if the router/antennas is 2-3 ft away from the wall/corner/metal, it will be better.

Or, if I install the antenna out of window, connected it with the router using a coaxial-cable, it will be helpful?

Thanks! :)

Back