Airflow!

xdviper

Gawd
Alright, heres a new built computer for a friend, specs as is, core i5 750 2.66ghz stock, ati 5770 stock clocks, WD hdd, and a BFG 550w psu.

Heres the problem, airflow, everything seems fine, the cpu idles at 95*F, goes to 155*F max at loads with the stock intel heatsink fan combo.
the GPU seems fine aswell, its stock, temps are 40*C while idle and unknown while under load cause i've never been able to stress it out yet, but i'm thinking it'll be fine.

I've got two intakes from the front panel, and back. The side is used for exhaust. now I've got some pictures and read online that it might not be the best setup. don't mind the wire mess, will clean that up. the fans that wll be used are going to be 80mm fans with blue leds and also i'll be throwing in a cold cathode neons as well in there.

i just need to know if my current setup is alright and will keep it cool as possible and how will the psu affect the airflow in the uni??

I would set the front panel as intake, side as intake, and rear as exhaust. Along with the power supply exhausting air...you would have 2 intake and 2 exhaust. I never set side fans as exhaust because that would pull air away from that type of cpu fan you have in there. The cpu fan and side panel fan would be pulling against each other.

Untitled-2.png

That's how I would do it.

alright so I guess thats how we're going to do it, also how do i know if the psu exhuasts the air or brings air in?

Yeah, PSU's don't intake. They always exhaust. That's why I count my PSU as an exhaust fan when thinking about fans for a build.

From the back of the pc, I really don't feel any air getting exhausted out. Even when I put my hand over the fan, I feel cold air but can't tell if it's blowing in or out.

Honestly, I've never been a fan of stock coolers. Never trusted them...much prefer aftermarket.

Also, make sure you've applied enough thermal paste, and correctly, and that the CPU is seated properly.

Last edited:
From the back of the pc, I really don't feel any air getting exhausted out. Even when I put my hand over the fan, I feel cold air but can't tell if it's blowing in or out.

From where? The 80mm fan or the PSU? If you're talking about the PSU, you probably won't feel any airflow coming out with your hand, but trust me...it is. The PSU most likely has a 120mm fan in the bottom pulling in air from inside the case. The fan isn't directed at the back of the PSU, but up into it, so the air has to move around the PSU before exiting out the back.
As for the 80mm, it depends on the quality of the fan for how much airflow there will be. As long as you feel some airflow, the fan is doing its job.

+1 to front and side intake, and rear exhaust. If you are handy with a file, or a dremel, it looks like you could fit a 120mm fan where the front 80mm is.

Side intake would work better, because the 5770 is a big card that'll block intake from the lower front, having a side intake opposite cpu would solve it.

or you can get a bigger 3rd party HSF, I am using a coolermaster hyper 212 plus for my i5 750 setup. It has a big 12" fan to pull air, and is not too expensive.

Back