Air-Powered Star Trek Style Door

Well that was dissapointing. The automatically opening, infra-red doors at a grocery store, are closer to the Star Trek show.

yeh, needs to be automatic....
although..... on the series with the really shitty theme song, i think all the doors were button operated... i don't think they automated them....

i'd go back and watch episodes to research, but i can't take the chance on hearing that god awful theme song....

Yeah needs some modifications like infrared sensors (both to open the door and to prevent the door from closing on someone), then it would be perfect.

I like the doors from Airplane 2 that are voice activated. Shht.....Shht ..... Shhhhht.....Shhhhht

I am a Star Trek fan and my dream house has people living in its walls pulling open my doors and making the shhh sound :D

Honestly, doors, tablets, lasers, all we need next are force shields and warp drives.

all you need now is just a turbolift and transporter bay and your good to go

Guaranteed panty peeler. LOL :D

Not off any chick I would want to see them peel off, that is for sure. Unless you need a backup sail for your boat at least.

As mentioned before, the button kills it. Yes the doors were operated by buttons in star trek for budget reasons. However the viewer did not see that, from our perspective they were automatic. So really this guy just needed an automatic door with the sound added to it and it would be a prefect replica.

Loud much? I think after a few times of waking someone up just upon entering/exiting a room, they'd be forced into a manual mode.

Cool idea...needs better implementation. Seems like a clean install job though.

It's gotta be a wiiiiiiiiiish sound... not some bone crushing SHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT sound. Also, if that guy ever passes out between those doors he's a goner.

Someone needs to make one of those Star Wars doors that open and close vertically in like 1/100th of a second.

Well, how often do you close doors in your house? My kids close theirs because they are teenagers and demand privacy but all of the other doors in the house remain open 90% of the time. I wouldn't want them closing automatically all of the time. The button thing makes sense considering how often I want them to stay open.

Well, how often do you close doors in your house? My kids close theirs because they are teenagers and demand privacy but all of the other doors in the house remain open 90% of the time. I wouldn't want them closing automatically all of the time. The button thing makes sense considering how often I want them to stay open.

It might make some type of sense from an efficiency standpoint if you were only looking to heat/cool certain rooms. Particularly if you had a heat/cooling unit that could do the same. I know they aren't very common in the US, but while I visitied China each room's temp was individually controlled. Ditto with the water heater.

automatic doors in your home? you guys REALLY want that?? i know i wouldn't!

think about it - you're doing your wife/girlfriend/hand. cat walks by the sensor. SWISH! oh sure you can put a lock switch on, but then you might as well do what this guy has already done!

Combine this with a 10 dB reduction in volume (at least,) and a "smart" sensor system, and it'd be ready for prime time.

What is needed is a sensor that isn't purely location based, or motion based, but is "intent-based". A person walking PAST the door, but not toward it, should not trigger it. A person walking toward it should trigger it.

Of course, having the ability to lock it electronically, combined with a "doorbell" button, intercom, and voice control unlock, would make it just like Star Trek then.

automatic doors in your home? you guys REALLY want that?? i know i wouldn't!

think about it - you're doing your wife/girlfriend/hand. cat walks by the sensor. SWISH! oh sure you can put a lock switch on, but then you might as well do what this guy has already done!

Oh god would I freeze up if I head that behind me while doing the grind on my wife.

Anybody else but me think that if you tied this in with the kinect eye.. it would work a lot better as a "smart" system?

For instance, program certain patterns (like they do in the video games) where if someone is walking across the screen (say left to right, or vice versa) it does nothing.. but if you're walking AT the door, it opens within so many inches/feet.

Needs moar proximity sensor and less button

Yep.... and there was a HUGE nerd guy about 3 or 4 years ago (I even think the article was on [H]) that was soooooo obsessed with Star Trek that he made his house IDENTICAL to the Star Trek space ship. I mean, EVERYTHING. Tables, chairs, all space age looking... it was insanely dorky yet incredible.

I think he sold it too, to an even bigger dork :D

Yep.... and there was a HUGE nerd guy about 3 or 4 years ago (I even think the article was on [H]) that was soooooo obsessed with Star Trek that he made his house IDENTICAL to the Star Trek space ship. I mean, EVERYTHING. Tables, chairs, all space age looking... it was insanely dorky yet incredible.

I think he sold it too, to an even bigger dork :D

Yep I found it :D

Man maxes out 14 credit cards accumulating 100,000 in debt as he is turning home into Starship Voyager after his wife left him.

Yeah... I couldn't imagine having an automated door without at least a lock. I could imagine about a million different ways to be in an embarrassing situation with a proximity sensor opening a door.

Not off any chick I would want to see them peel off, that is for sure. Unless you need a backup sail for your boat at least.

As mentioned before, the button kills it. Yes the doors were operated by buttons in star trek for budget reasons. However the viewer did not see that, from our perspective they were automatic. So really this guy just needed an automatic door with the sound added to it and it would be a prefect replica.

The doors in the series were operated by people manually moving them. There was no mechanical automation of any sort or working buttons.

What happens if you are in the doorway when it closes?
I assume the slow walker loses some weight. :D

I would hope he put in some sort of sensor to automatically open if it senses an object while it's closing, kind of like a garage door opener.

I wonder how much time and $ the guy spent in making the ST door.

Combine this with a 10 dB reduction in volume (at least,) and a "smart" sensor system, and it'd be ready for prime time.

What is needed is a sensor that isn't purely location based, or motion based, but is "intent-based". A person walking PAST the door, but not toward it, should not trigger it. A person walking toward it should trigger it.

Of course, having the ability to lock it electronically, combined with a "doorbell" button, intercom, and voice control unlock, would make it just like Star Trek then.

That is the best way to do it. Or like someone else said, you could just pay people to stay in your walls and open the doors when you walk towards them.

Back