Air flow question..

Bumrush

Limp Gawd
Guys, I have been getting really tired of having all the ps cables all over the place in my case. So, I decided to do this:

Was it done correctly? It seems like all the cables lead to the bottom of the case, is this going to restrict airflow, or should I have done it a different way? sorry for being such a noob :p

Looks OK, but try to get the cables away from the middle of the case, as that is where your intake fans are (most likely)

try to get them to the back wall of the case

or you can place them above or between the drives, or optical drives......just a thought!! :rolleyes:

clone#13 said:
or you can place them above or between the drives, or optical drives......just a thought!! :rolleyes:

That's what I do with some excess PSU wires and things.....I've got many other places (you'd see by looking in my case) but above and between optic drives is very easy and convenient.....you'll want to take off all that loom though, its going to do more harm then good when you try and actually HIDE the wires.....that loom is actually making the wires take up even MORE space, and will make it quite difficult to hide anything, seeing as it doesnt flex very well either. Take off the loom and get to work, it's the only way you're really gonna be able to do a lot with the wiring beyond what you've already tried.

you can do what I did and take an old cdrom drive, gut it, cut off the front so the case bay bezel will fit in place, open up the back of the hollowed out drive carcass a bit and stuff the cables in there.

here's a link to a fuzzy pic of mine. It was a 10 minute job and hidden from view so I didn't care about the "quality" of the work.

click this

nst6563 said:
you can do what I did and take an old cdrom drive, gut it, cut off the front so the case bay bezel will fit in place, open up the back of the hollowed out drive carcass a bit and stuff the cables in there.

here's a link to a fuzzy pic of mine. It was a 10 minute job and hidden from view so I didn't care about the "quality" of the work.

click this

Interesting, but its a little too unprofessional looking for me, it'd ruin the look of things in my case I think.....it is a great idea though.

i have that case (use to but still have it use xaser now) and its hard to hide the wires so (looking to the front of the case) on the right side behind the floppy and hard drive cages theres a space about 3 inches that you can stuff a lot of cables

casepic1.JPG

Yes, while hiding cables behind the motherboard tray might not always been as viable an option for all users (depending on your specific case) there is almost always some kind of way to get some excess wiring in behind those drive cages. At this point Bumrush, I'd say you're looking to make your wiring more practicle and functional, rather then just really pretty looking.....and so I'd suggest doing everything in your power to get as many of those cables behind the drives as possible. Again, this will most likely require you removing the loom, as its horrible stuff to work with. Split look is nice if someone is going for a certain look/color scheme and they WANT their wires to be seen, but for any kind of hiding/routing its basically out of the question.

PS: Oh, and kudos Bumrush on the name.....FF3 kicks ass, Sabin is one of my favorites. ;)

cornelious0_0 said:
Interesting, but its a little too unprofessional looking for me, it'd ruin the look of things in my case I think.....it is a great idea though.

it can always be neatened up a bit, comb the cables and etc, but since I don't have a window, I don't care. The only reason I did it was for airflow.

with a tangle of cables like that, I'd say grab the soldering iron, some molex connectors,
some extra wire, and custom fit your lengths to your exact needs. This will give you the
additional room where needed to hide/attach cables to your box, so you don't have a clump
blocking airflow.

probably more work than you wre looking for, so as with anything I say
take it with a grain of salt.

-Jeff

but since I don't have a window, I don't care. The only reason I did it was for airflow.

Granted, but I do have a window, and even if I can't see something directly through the window, it irritates me if i know something messy is up there. ;)

with a tangle of cables like that, I'd say grab the soldering iron, some molex connectors,some extra wire, and custom fit your lengths to your exact needs. This will give you the additional room where needed to hide/attach cables to your box, so you don't have a clump blocking airflow.

This could work, except then what happens when he changes mobo's down the road and things need to be wired differently. I have never considered shortenin/removing cables to be an option, because you dont know what lies down the road, and those modified cables could quickly become a huge burden.

cornelious0_0 said:
PS: Oh, and kudos Bumrush on the name.....FF3 kicks ass, Sabin is one of my favorites. ;)

:) Actually the name is my old Quake DM name, haven't changed it since :D

remove the loom, behind the mobo, above the optical drives, yada yada... everything everyone else has said

just make sure you do something, as it looks like your clusterfuck of loom and cabling is blocking the majority of the intake air from reaching your proc/mobo

waddles said:
remove the loom, behind the mobo, above the optical drives, yada yada... everything everyone else has said

just make sure you do something, as it looks like your clusterfuck of loom and cabling is blocking the majority of the intake air from reaching your proc/mobo

Yeah, probably will do that. However, as it stands now my case temp is pretty good, 41C in HOT Miami, 45c under load. 6800GT, 59c on boot, 71c after a couple of hours of doom 3.

Bumrush said:
Yeah, probably will do that. However, as it stands now my case temp is pretty good, 41C in HOT Miami, 45c under load. 6800GT, 59c on boot, 71c after a couple of hours of doom 3.

those sound like pretty shitty temps to me... is that 59 and 71 case or processor? i mean, if its proc, thats horrible... up towards the damaging heat range. if its case, that's more horrible...

waddles said:
those sound like pretty shitty temps to me... is that 59 and 71 case or processor? i mean, if its proc, thats horrible... up towards the damaging heat range. if its case, that's more horrible...

No no!! Its my 6800GT, which is the average temp I have seen all over the web. In terms of my case, 41c right now, my Amd 64 runs pretty cool, 39c.

Also, I live in Miami, which is very hot during the summer. Have the AC on, but like to leave my windows open to get the ocean breeze.

with this case you are unable to hide wires behind the motherboard tray. hide them behind the hard drive tray. also you cant hide them above a cd rom unless you dont use your first slot.

Bumrush said:
No no!! Its my 6800GT, which is the average temp I have seen all over the web. In terms of my case, 41c right now, my Amd 64 runs pretty cool, 39c.

Also, I live in Miami, which is very hot during the summer. Have the AC on, but like to leave my windows open to get the ocean breeze.

Your mobo sensor for you cpu is way off thendude, cus think about it.....the HSF is feeding case air onto your cpu.....your cpu is NOT running at 39C if your case is 41C. 41C is pretty damn hot for case temps.....but i guess you're not as lucky as me.....I'm spoiled by my basement room/canadian case temps of like 27 :p

Get to work and let us know how it goes.

Back