Air cooling issues

Pivo504

2[H]4U
I have a gigabyte UD p55A UD 3 with intel 1156 chipset i5 750 quad core @3.8 with 8gig memory GSkill stock timings, asus 660GTX, samsung 830 128gig drive plus 2 80 gig 7200 sata drives backup, XFX 650 PSU, audigy 2, with Cogage Arrow CPU Cooler and cougar fan on it. My case has 1 intake, 1 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust all 120mm Whenever I run prime 95 load blend test I get temps of 75 degrees which is considered too high? How can I fix this?

75C isn't exactly too high.
But you only have one intake fan?
Could you switch the rear exhaust to an intake and have the top remain an exhaust?
That may help a bit by blowing cool at at the CPU for the fan on cooler to help a bit.

P.S
Too high of a temp would be in the 80C and 90C would be very dangerous.

lots of specs but what was the ambient room temperature?
how about the airflow around the case?

the simplest solutions are often the most effective
with any heat source (T1) being transfered to any heat sink (T2) in this case the air
by doubling the temperature differential the amount of heat transfered doubles for x period of time

before launching into the internal airflow, improve the external if possible
lowering the room temperature will pay the biggest dividends

Yes for whatever reason the case is only designed with one front intake. Its a lian li dragon armor case. It comes stock with one front fan for intake, 2 top exhaust fans, and one rear exhaust fan. I unplugged one top exahust fan bc its just too much exhaust. THe thermostat is set to 68 degrees. Do I just have too much exhaust vs intake? I never go above 75 degrees so is that still ok as far as not causing any damage?

its more like rate of damage vs time before obsolescence when you get rid of it
and how good was it to begin with

basics
minor subatomic irregularities can manifest themselves in the production process so that bad, average and great chips can be next to each other on the silicon. In the bad old days they performed some basic pass fail tests then got smart and started to do relatively fine speed binning thus the range of bad to good is now less

Electromigration is the process of damage its a result of both electrical flow and temperature it is forecast with Black's Equation a subset of which is the Arrhenius equation (Arrhenius being the guy who deduced global warming in 1896) it has to do with the Reaction Rate Constant

long story short
every 10C (18F) temperatures increase, time to failure halves
every 10C (18F) temperatures decreases, time to failure doubles
what did the chip maker estimate to be a reasonable TTF (Time To Failure)?...who knows
how good was the chip to begin with?...who knows
what level of damage has the chip sustained so far....who knows

what is the chips rated maximum operating temperature to meet the manufacturer's TTF estimate
you might want to look that up I'm out of practice :p

Ha thanks for the explanation ice czar, I hope intel built these CPUs well! Ive overclocked many many CPUs and Ive always ended up upgrading before anyone failed...Some I even had for 5 years overclocked on air working just as good as the day I installed & OCd it.
Does anyone suggest using this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010
If its really going to lower my temps by a lot vs air cooling?

Ha thanks for the explanation ice czar, I hope intel built these CPUs well! Ive overclocked many many CPUs and Ive always ended up upgrading before anyone failed...Some I even had for 5 years overclocked on air working just as good as the day I installed & OCd it.
Does anyone suggest using this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010
If its really going to lower my temps by a lot vs air cooling?

You won't see a great improvement with that cooler vs what you have.
If you can create a positive air pressure of inside your case that would probably help a bit. Just try to get more air coming in then going out. Flip a fan or two around and see what happens.

Are you sure Dragin? A lot of people say that cooler helps a lot more than HS/fan combo..If I could get my cooling inorder I could reach 4ghz but with my temps so high @4ghz it reaches nearly 80degrees. What is the best configuration as fan as cooling? 2 intake 2 exhaust or 1 intake 1 exhaust? I find adding extra fans hardly helps change the temps and is not worth making more noise...

Newton's Law of Cooling

what a water cooled system can do is transfer a higher heat flux out to the radiator
but what the radiator is able to dump depends on both its size, the flow rates of the water and the air and ultimately the ambient temperature

I built my first computer 11.9 years ago and ended up here in this very subforum
if your overclocking there isn't any end to cooler and faster :p

(we tried to warn him but he HAD to build that stacked peltier driven flourinert cascade chip chiller)
:p :p :p

Last edited:
Well I seem to have dropped my temps down. What I did is took out the rear exhaust fan. My HS is setup to where the fans blow upward. I accidentally had the fan on the HS blowing down so I switched it to blow up. Then I turned off one exhaust fan on the top & left one case fan on that is directly above the Heatsink fan. I ran prime max heat test & temps sat around 68 on load after 20mins & without making these adjustments they were at 72-73. Also, adding a 2nd fan to the top of the HS dropped temps 2 degrees. I think having the Rear exhaust fan on the case messed up the airflow on the HS. But anyways having more fans does not always help.

Back