AIO Watercooled 1060 - Would a beefier VRM heatsink help OC?

prime2515102

[H]ard|Gawd
I put a Corsair H105 on my Asus Dual-GTX 1060. My load temps dropped from 72C to a peak of 36C (24C idle).

This did nothing for overclockability. The NZXT G10 bracket is half useless (the fan half) because the VRM's are on the opposite end of the card (compared to the cards this bracket was designed for).

Would replacing the VRM heatsink with something more substantial (and preferably copper) help any or is this just the upper limit of the VRM's? If it would help, any ideas for a direct-fit copper VRM heatsink? As far as I know the size is exactly the same as with the 1080.

I know the power limit isn't my PSU. It is 750W (XFX/Seasonic) and I think I'm pulling around 350-375 peak, and probably a little less-that was measured with an overclocked AMD 7970 still installed.

Edit: CRAP! I meant to put this in the overclocking and cooling section. How do I move it?

azv9LS.jpg

DPgwu0.png

DPgwu0.png[.img]

Last edited:
cooling the VRM in those cards will help to extend the life of the components but nothing else. for higher overclocks you have to edit the power tables, power values and core/voltage settings with a BIOS modification to unleash max potential of the card.

cooling the VRM in those cards will help to extend the life of the components but nothing else. for higher overclocks you have to edit the power tables, power values and core/voltage settings with a BIOS modification to unleash max potential of the card.
Ahhh ok, I'll do some research on that, thanks!

Do get some good cooling on your VRMs or you risk having a meltdown within 6 months. Especially since you plan on overclocking it.

Do get some good cooling on your VRMs or you risk having a meltdown within 6 months. Especially since you plan on overclocking it.
I think I'm going to have to zip-tie a fan to the other end for now.

The problem here is that there are tiny chips (I'm assuming they are resistors) that stick out above the VRM's so I can't just use thermal tape and slap a bigger heatsink on, I'd have to use a thermal pad like the one that's on it. But then I'd need a heatsink that fits the screws to hold it down.

I don't know, I might go down to a metal shop and see if they can modify something for me. I was really hoping there was something on the market for this.

Stress testing with Furmark certainly won't help the lifespan of the VRM...

I was really hoping there was something on the market for this.
you can get tiny little vrm heat sinks or do what you already said and strap a fan to it. that should be good. I think that's all the adapter brackets(g10/20) do. or if you have an old heat sink from a mobo, like the square north/south bridge ones, you could cut long skinny ones from it(hack saw) to stick on. I needed to make one like that for a vram module that isn't covered by the heat plate on my red-modded 280x.

Seriously get some cooling on the VRMs immediately.

I put a G10 bracket and X41 AIO on my 970. Worked awesome for about a week or two. All of a sudden the system clicks off. Turns out the 970 was fried. Boo.

Watercooling a 1060.......
just why?
Can't you buy a 1070 for the cost of the watercooler +1060?

Seriously get some cooling on the VRMs immediately.

I put a G10 bracket and X41 AIO on my 970. Worked awesome for about a week or two. All of a sudden the system clicks off. Turns out the 970 was fried. Boo.

The pic I posted is a little deceptive. The original VRM heatsink IS on it. Also, I went ahead and zip-tied the fan from the cooler over the VRM's. Oddly enough, it had a very nice resting place on the card (almost perfectly level). I haven't tested to see if it improved anything, but I'm sure it'll extend the life.

Watercooling a 1060.......
just why?
Can't you buy a 1070 for the cost of the watercooler +1060?

Two reasons: 1) 'Cause I'm [H]ard like that! lol 2) I have never done this before and $240 is about my limit for things I experiment on since I have a tendency to destroy things.

As far as using the AIO on the 1060 is concerned, if you are truly [H]Ard, you have a lot of fun spare shit around to play with. Those temps are nice man, get some frag tape or decent thermal compound and measure what copper heatsinks you can put on those vrms and you have 2 holes near them to rig up something to mount a fan.

Back