AIO GPU solutions

Kalmado

Limp Gawd
Hello. I'm considering doing an AIO GPU cooling solution for my crossfire 290x setup. I plan to get most likely a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case to house my components as I'm currently using a Corsair Carbide 300R and my cards are hitting 90c+ (Asus R9290X-DC2OC-4GD5). I'm not a hardcore overclocker, but I want my components to last as I'll probably keep my video cards for an extremely long time. Is it worth it to get an AIO solution for gpu cooling? Any suggestions on what to get? Or would getting something like Gelid Icy Vision coolers be good enough?

have you already tried an aggressive custom fan curve?. with aftermarket solutions like the Asus DCII all the heat is being dumped inside the case making the temperatures around the cards very hot so you need a really high airflow providing fresh air to the cards, so that probably mean a lot of fans and noise for the amount of heat 2x 290X can pump inside a case. so yes, a AIO cooling is a solid solution, I would start looking at a pair of the Corsair HG10 A1 and a pair of corsair H75.

But first of all I would try with an aggressive fan curve if you haven't tried yet.. also have you used the side panel slots in your 300R? turning those fans as exhaust will provide better cooling efficiency overall as it will force the hot air from both GPUs to be exhausted faster with less accumulation of heat in that spot. have you removed the HDD cages and placed a bottom fan in the case?. that will also help a lot. sincerely the Enthoo Pro will offer basically no gain in cooling performance over the Corsair 300R as it have the advantage of side panel fans. I think a properly configured 300R will do a better job with your kind of GPU setup.

I have one 140mm fan on the side set as an intake right now. My desk is terrible, but I'm getting a new one soon which will allow the case to be in an open airflow environment. I have set a more aggressive fan curve in MSI Afterburner for the time being. So far I haven't had any BSOD or freezes like before. I have not removed the HDD cage from the 300R, but I suppose I could place the HDD in a 5.25 slot. I recently ordered 3x Thermaltake Riing 120mm fans to help with airflow. I really hope this will help with some of the issue. I'm still thinking a AIO solution for at least the main gpu is worthwhile.

I've just sold my 290x crossfire one of which had an arctic coller hybrid II - 120 it was day and night difference, no throttling , and 65C GPU temps during gaming.

But I don't recommend this cooler as it's not suitable to the 290x, I had to make custom sinks for the VRMs.

This is how my card looked:

I've just sold my 290x crossfire one of which had an arctic coller hybrid II - 120 it was day and night difference, no throttling , and 65C GPU temps during gaming.

But I don't recommend this cooler as it's not suitable to the 290x, I had to make custom sinks for the VRMs.

This is how my card looked:

It's really weird. That kit have active VRM cooling and it's very good doing the job. Did you used the generic kit or the specific 290X kit

It's really weird. That kit have active VRM cooling and it's very good doing the job. Did you used the generic kit or the specific 290X kit

The hybrid III has, the hybrid II only has a giant heatsink to the back of the card where there is nothing to cool.

For whatever reason I do not see the picture. I'll be getting a Phanteks Enthoo Pro soon for added space and airflow and will likely get Gelid Icy Visions for my cards. I appreciate the responses!

By all means get an AIO, a corsair H55 or equivalent will be minimum requirement, but also get heat sinks for vrms

Put a Kraken G10 and your choice of Asetek AIO cooler on it. I recommend the Corsair H55 as a cheap solution.

Kraken G10 + some small heatsinks and thermal pads for the vrm's. Cool those things down.

Pretty much everyone is on track, i can attest that I only got slightly better idle temps, and much better load temps going from an h60->h80-> custom loop. For the price the h55 is basically where you are gonna want to be i believe

Pretty much everyone is on track, i can attest that I only got slightly better idle temps, and much better load temps going from an h60->h80-> custom loop. For the price the h55 is basically where you are gonna want to be i believe

I've always wondered if anyone tried a 240mm AIO on a GPU to see if it offered any significant gains over the 120mm versions. Logic says it would, but I don't think any are currently supported. Still blows my mind how a 120mm radiator can cool a 250W+ TDP card absurdly well, whereas they aren't nearly as efficient on a much lower i7 x930/x960K CPU's with half the TDP.

If you go with the Kraken G10 you could always pick up a vrm kit from glid like this one: ebay

I tried dual g10's a while back and had a hard time getting the coolers to sit flat on the gpu, but they work a lot better than the reference coolers. They defiantly keep the gpu from down clocking during high loads.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've always wondered if anyone tried a 240mm AIO on a GPU to see if it offered any significant gains over the 120mm versions. Logic says it would, but I don't think any are currently supported. Still blows my mind how a 120mm radiator can cool a 250W+ TDP card absurdly well, whereas they aren't nearly as efficient on a much lower i7 x930/x960K CPU's with half the TDP.

that's because of GPUs are Direct die cooling, while CPUs have the internat heatsink, "cover" or "lid" how it's commonly known today.... IHS protect the CPU die from excessive pressure but as a side effect decreases considerably the heat transfer from the CPU to the Cooler....

I've used 240mm and 280mm radiators, and both offer better cooling ability than just plain Thin 120mm radiators. but the decisive factor really is the pump, 240mm tend to have a better pump and the added surface area provide better cooling but nothing earth shattering really.. personally I don't like thin radiators, always I recommend AIO cooling solutions it have to be 140mm thin or 120mm Thick.. probably the Kraken X31 is the best of two worlds.

that's because of GPUs are Direct die cooling, while CPUs have the internat heatsink, "cover" or "lid" how it's commonly known today.... IHS protect the CPU die from excessive pressure but as a side effect decreases considerably the heat transfer from the CPU to the Cooler....

I've used 240mm and 280mm radiators, and both offer better cooling ability than just plain Thin 120mm radiators. but the decisive factor really is the pump, 240mm tend to have a better pump and the added surface area provide better cooling but nothing earth shattering really.. personally I don't like thin radiators, always I recommend AIO cooling solutions it have to be 140mm thin or 120mm Thick.. probably the Kraken X31 is the best of two worlds.

Interesting, thanks for the reply. I guess that explains why you don't see a too big of an increase in performance going from 120/140 > 240/280 radiators and why you can get some really big drops even using an AIO on a delidded CPU as seen a couple threads down.

Was always wondering why it worked so freaking well on GPU's other than what I've heard GPU's having a bigger surface area because the die size, which didn't make complete sense to be honest.

Back