AIO for Fractal Torrent and 5900X?

RJ_ds

n00b
Has anyone AIO'd their Torrent?
I was thinking of just trying it to see how it compares to air, I have a noctua D-15 for a CPU cooler and it does pretty good for the most part but dead space remake cooks my PC up into the 70-80c CPU usage. I live where its hot enough already and it heats the room up quickly and want to cool it down as much as possible and maybe an AIO will help? Even if its a few C. I tried undervolting and that made temps far worse under load even though its supposed to bring temps down under load. So that was reverted. So I was looking at the Arctic 360 and it seems to be popular, will it work?

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Liquid-Freezer-All-One/dp/B07WNJCVNW

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
80C is pretty cool, I think you're worrying too much. If you put an AIO in the Torrent it can basically only go in the front which defeats the entire purpose of the case.

I live where its hot enough already and it heats the room up quickly and want to cool it down as much as possible and maybe an AIO will help? Even if its a few C.
No form of CPU cooling will make your room cooler. The CPU cooler only transfers heat from the CPU to the external environment. Different forms of CPU cooling will make the CPU itself and possibly the rest of the PC cooler only because it's more effectively transferring heat out of the case into the room.

If you want your entire PC to run cooler and not heat your room up, then you have to run fewer watts through it.

I don't understand how undervolting the CPU made it run hotter - sorry, but did you re-paste and re-seat the cooler properly? Undervolting doesn't always make much of a difference in terms of watts consumed and heat produced, but it should never make the CPU run hotter unless something is awry.

It's possible during gaming that your GPU is producing much more heat than your CPU. What is your GPU? Can you undervolt it? I run an RTX 4080 with a power limit set to 90% and that reduces the wattage it pulls substantially while having no performance hit on the games I play because I VSync everything to 60Hz. Can you set your VSync lower than it is and save juice that way?

It's possible during gaming that your GPU is producing much more heat than your CPU. What is your GPU? Can you undervolt it? I run an RTX 4080 with a power limit set to 90% and that reduces the wattage it pulls substantially while having no performance hit on the games I play because I VSync everything to 60Hz. Can you set your VSync lower than it is and save juice that way?

hold-on-wait-a-minute.gif

A 4080 for this? Good lord I would just throw my PC out the window if I paid $1200 for 60fps.

No form of CPU cooling will make your room cooler. The CPU cooler only transfers heat from the CPU to the external environment. Different forms of CPU cooling will make the CPU itself and possibly the rest of the PC cooler only because it's more effectively transferring heat out of the case into the room.

If you want your entire PC to run cooler and not heat your room up, then you have to run fewer watts through it.

I don't understand how undervolting the CPU made it run hotter - sorry, but did you re-paste and re-seat the cooler properly? Undervolting doesn't always make much of a difference in terms of watts consumed and heat produced, but it should never make the CPU run hotter unless something is awry.

I thought the same thing about the undervolt. I was fully expecting the temps to drop some. Cinebench/Time spy scores went up but so did temps as well. Time spy went from 64-65c avg and 82-83c max to 72c avg and 88c max. Cinebench maxed around the same 88c but with a little lower 62c avg. Dead space remake went from 74-76c avg and 84c max to 81-82c avg and 90c max. I tried doing it in the bios but couldn't get it stable except for a -10 undervolt. So I tried Ryzen master and it came up with these values that I used and that's where I'm getting the increased temps.

Oh and I have a 3080 and usually try to run any games at 60hz myself if the in game settings will allow it. My monitor usually runs 120-144hz and its a 240hz monitor.

That was with these settings in the pic from Ryzen master:

ryzen_master_undervolt1.JPG

I thought the same thing about the undervolt. I was fully expecting the temps to drop some. Cinebench/Time spy scores went up but so did temps as well. Time spy went from 64-65c avg and 82-83c max to 72c avg and 88c max. Cinebench maxed around the same 88c but with a little lower 62c avg. Dead space remake went from 74-76c avg and 84c max to 81-82c avg and 90c max. I tried doing it in the bios but couldn't get it stable except for a -10 undervolt. So I tried Ryzen master and it came up with these values that I used and that's where I'm getting the increased temps.

Oh and I have a 3080 and usually try to run any games at 60hz myself if the in game settings will allow it. My monitor usually runs 120-144hz and its a 240hz monitor.

That was with these settings in the pic from Ryzen master:

View attachment 580478
try setting your power target to a custom value. Might kill some all core work loads max boost clocks but it should get your temps down. Those are pretty solid CO settings. Also do you have cpu vcore set to auto in bios? Otherwise PBO can't scale voltage up and down.

Back