AIO CPU coolers and Ryzen

Spoonie_G

Limp Gawd
Saw a "RYZEN CPU COMBO" deal on AMAZON. The CPU cooler was a H110i Extreme. I have an H80i V2. Any one know of any adapters? Do I already have one? I'm just surprised that no one is talking about CPU cooler compatibility.

I am in the market. Right now I'm leaning toward the Noctua options for my 1800X vs. the Alphacool Eisbaer 240 AIO CPU Cooler as both options are available now. Corsair has been really lax on telling people what's going on.

If you have a drill press you can make anything work. ;)

20170221_111727.jpg

Nice!

I've been trying to figure out if I can pull something similar off with the stock bracket on my Coolermaster 212 EVO. IIRC there are multiple positions you can put the screws on the X bracket and the AM3 spot wasn't all the way out.

Or they could get off their arses and make the upgrade brackets available.

I am in the market. Right now I'm leaning toward the Noctua options for my 1800X vs. the Alphacool Eisbaer 240 AIO CPU Cooler as both options are available now. Corsair has been really lax on telling people what's going on.

I purchased an Alphacool Eisbaer 360mm AIO for my Ryzen build. I already mounted it in exhaust mode in my new full tower case. I expect very good cooling from it.A Corsair 80 will not provide enough cooling on an 8 core cpu to allow significant overclocking. You will need an AM4 adapter from Corsair.

A Corsair 80 will not provide enough cooling on an 8 core cpu to allow significant overclocking.

Not being a jerk. But what is this based on? Having to buy another cooler will effect my decision. Thanks

Not being a jerk. But what is this based on? Having to buy another cooler will effect my decision. Thanks

Any idea how the Corsair 80 compares to Noctua D15?
Der8eur did a quick and light overclock vid for a 10C 6950X running at 4GHz 1.2V all cores using the D15 and did not throttle, cores varied from 65C to 76C but that was with only 10mins shown, also not AVX Prime version that would had seriously stressed the CPU.

AIO/watercooling, worth noting though it takes longer for it to reach its saturated cooling point unlike air coolers that happens very quickly, so need to consider any thermal review of AIO has to be for at least 45 mins as that is getting around the point its cooling is saturated.

So I would expect any AIO/watercooling that can match D15 to be up to the job, if the CPU is not pushed on its voltage too much (applies to D15 as well).
Cheers

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of this but if you look at the ASUS Crosshair. It appears to have AM3 compatibility. There are two sets of holes. That motherboard may be compatible with AM3 coolers.

It's a shame they didn't follow Intel's lead and just use the same mounting holes as their previous generation... Like Intel has done since 775.

It's a shame they didn't follow Intel's lead and just use the same mounting holes as their previous generation... Like Intel has done since 775.
Well come on now. It has been a long while. This is what AMD told me when I asked a couple weeks ago.

“Yes – socket AM3+ and FM2+ had ~960,~940 pins. For socket AM4 we have 1331 pins, so we had to move the holes out slightly to accommodate the routing. Net result is that clip coolers still work because we’ve updated the brackets and retention frames, but bolt through needs a slight adjustment. It’s a small change and the cooler companies are happy to do it because it’s our first update in 10years vs. the competition who change every year or so.”

Makes you wonder how ASUS was able to pull off two sets of holes then.
They only did it on the higher end boards from what I can tell so I would guess they could do it on boards with more PCB layers.

On lower end boards they probably don't have the profit margins to add layers just for that.

Last edited:
It can't be based on anything solid. I have a H80 from 2012 running on my 3930k (a 140w CPU) no problems. The 1800x is a 95w CPU. There is tons of headroom. Like wanting or feeling the need for a 8c CPU I can understand the idea of going on the safe side of stuff but the H110i while being a superior cooler has always been marginally better than the H80.

I would assume that the water cooling solution is better.

Found the H80i GT, seems pretty similar to the double fan D15 (it really should not be underestimated in this config), so going by the 6950X 10C Der8eur vid with D15 you have some indicators that your H80 will be fine with 1.2V (around 4GHz Broadwell-E as reference) and anything too much after that may be pushing it - context 8 and 10 cores on 14nm

index.php

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h80i_gt_review,11.html

But reviews, there is always variance when it comes to cooling reviews between sites and maybe this is not the best indicator for H80i *shrug*.
Cheers

Last edited:

The fact that this an 8 core cpu. You will probably be able to get it to perhaps 4.1 GHZ on all cores. Above that a stable overclock will be unlikely in my humble opinion. Use it for now and later you may want to upgrade your cooling for higher overclocks. I certainly do not want to put a damper on your buying decision. a 4.1 GHZ clock on that chip will give you great performance.

Got the Asus Crosshair on pre-order so my Kraken X62 can work - but as I mentioned in the other thread nzxt has been active on Twitter saying they are nearly done with their adapters.

It can't be based on anything solid. I have a H80 from 2012 running on my 3930k (a 140w CPU) no problems. The 1800x is a 95w CPU. There is tons of headroom. Like wanting or feeling the need for a 8c CPU I can understand the idea of going on the safe side of stuff but the H110i while being a superior cooler has always been marginally better than the H80.

It is a matter of understanding physics. A 120mm radiator can not dissipate nearly as much heat as 240mm eadiator, which has tice the square are for heat dissipation and carries twice as much coolant. Aklso copper radiators dissipate heat considerably better than aluminum radiators.

It is a matter of understanding physics. A 120mm radiator can not dissipate nearly as much heat as 240mm eadiator, which has tice the square are for heat dissipation and carries twice as much coolant. Aklso copper radiators dissipate heat considerably better than aluminum radiators.

That's the main reason I went 280mm this time instead of 240mm, marginally more money for 14% more coolant and surface area.

Ignorant question here please entertain me.

If you intend to use four fans for a push/pull on a 280mm radiator. Do you typically need to go out and buy extra mounting hardware for the two extra fans? Corsair 240/280 kits typically only come with two fans. TIA

I didn't say 360 couldn't cool better than a 240 and a 240 over a 120. What I said was a H80 (120) cools a 140w processor at 100% usage. Roughly 55c to be exact for me. My point wasn't that the H110 wouldn't be better it is. That just because its better doesnt mean there isn't overclocking headroom in a 90w cpu.

Ignorant question here please entertain me.

If you intend to use four fans for a push/pull on a 280mm radiator. Do you typically need to go out and buy extra mounting hardware for the two extra fans? Corsair 240/280 kits typically only come with two fans. TIA

Its really up to you. I have an original H100 and I run a push/pull config as well. I just used 2 screws per fan, in a opposite corner setup, instead of 4.

I went with the Corsair H110i, which does support AM4 out of box and seems to be one of the better AIO coolers on the market.

To be honest, I've had some bad experiences with AIO water coolers in the past (first with a CM Aqua that started leaking after about 3 years and a cheaper Corsair H55 where the pump died after 2 years) but I want to give it another shot.

I didn't say 360 couldn't cool better than a 240 and a 240 over a 120. What I said was a H80 (120) cools a 140w processor at 100% usage. Roughly 55c to be exact for me. My point wasn't that the H110 wouldn't be better it is. That just because its better doesnt mean there isn't overclocking headroom in a 90w cpu.

I agree with you, there is overclocking room. I guess when you can save a little more cash you can later upgrade your cooling for a bigger overclock. No harm meant. I was just trying to help.

Its really up to you. I have an original H100 and I run a push/pull config as well. I just used 2 screws per fan, in a opposite corner setup, instead of 4.

Push pull is a waste of time on thin radiators. It just does not improve heat exchange in any measurable way. It is meant for thick radiators only.

Push pull is a waste of time on thin radiators. It just does not improve heat exchange in any measurable way. It is meant for thick radiators only.

I did notice a difference, however he didn't ask about that, simply about the screw count and how to mount if he went that route. Thanks for the useless assistance, though!

I honestly don't know if push/pull makes sense or not on a h115i (280mm radiator) setup. It is a little thicker than the 240mm models. Could be overkill. I already bought four ML140 fans for it so if it ends up being noisy as hell I guess I could pull two of them and just leave it in push.

I did notice a difference, however he didn't ask about that, simply about the screw count and how to mount if he went that route. Thanks for the useless assistance, though!
I honestly don't know if push/pull makes sense or not on a h115i (280mm radiator) setup. It is a little thicker than the 240mm models. Could be overkill. I already bought four ML140 fans for it so if it ends up being noisy as hell I guess I could pull two of them and just leave it in push.

I highly recommend that . I spent almost a year and a half on the watercooling forum on overclock.net. I learned a lot there. Just trying to help people from basically a wasted effort. I was going to do the same thing on my Swiftech H320 and was advised by whose whole life is centered around this that it was not going to help in a significant way with temps on a thin radiator.

Last edited:
Noted and I appreciate the input.

Since I already own the four fans and they are supposed to be pretty quiet. Hard not to go through with it anyway. They are supposed to be some of the best fans you can get and relatively quiet. If there is any benefit to cooling it may be insignificant. In which case out two of them come if there is a noise issue.

The fact that this an 8 core cpu. You will probably be able to get it to perhaps 4.1 GHZ on all cores. Above that a stable overclock will be unlikely in my humble opinion. Use it for now and later you may want to upgrade your cooling for higher overclocks. I certainly do not want to put a damper on your buying decision. a 4.1 GHZ clock on that chip will give you great performance.

Can't you cool 4.1 GHZ with air cooling? Current 8 core chips do not have a 240mm liquid cooler requirement (if I'm correct). And a good air cooler will give you a little head room to over clock. AMD provides Air Coolers for the 8-core RYZENs as an option (I think). I doubt that the stock RYZEN air coolers are on the edge of being able to keep an 8 core chip cool at stock the frequency. Even that has a little headroom. An AIO cooler (even a 120mm) will give you more headroom than the RYZEN air cooler. I think we're making much of nothing. As long as I'm not going over 4.4 ghz, I think I should be OK.

This is probably moot for me. As much as I would like to go ryzen, it wouldn't make sense upgrading my current Z170 setup. I'm going back and forth. My current system really doesn't need to be upgraded at all. I'm also looking at getting a 7700k (with price drop). But at this point does it really make sense to get a 4 core 8 thread chip, when 8 core 16 thread chips are available at the same price or a little more than the i7 7700k? An 8 core 16 thread that in reality probably gives little in the way of gaming performance against the 7700k? Or is the 7700k enough for the foreseeable future? Decisions.

Can't you cool 4.1 GHZ with air cooling? Current 8 core chips do not have a 240mm liquid cooler requirement (if I'm correct). And a good air cooler will give you a little head room to over clock. AMD provides Air Coolers for the 8-core RYZENs as an option (I think). I doubt that the stock RYZEN air coolers are on the edge of being able to keep an 8 core chip cool at stock the frequency. Even that has a little headroom. An AIO cooler (even a 120mm) will give you more headroom than the RYZEN air cooler. I think we're making much of nothing. As long as I'm not going over 4.4 ghz, I think I should be OK.

This is probably moot for me. As much as I would like to go ryzen, it wouldn't make sense upgrading my current Z170 setup. I'm going back and forth. My current system really doesn't need to be upgraded at all. I'm also looking at getting a 7700k (with price drop). But at this point does it really make sense to get a 4 core 8 thread chip, when 8 core 16 thread chips are available at the same price or a little more than the i7 7700k? An 8 core 16 thread that in reality probably gives little in the way of gaming performance against the 7700k? Or is the 7700k enough for the foreseeable future? Decisions.

As a reference
Der8baur showed in one of his vids the Noctua D15 able to cool the 6950X at 4GHz all cores, but you would not want to go over that tbh.
Cheers

The 1800X and 1700X don't come with a cooler. Only the 1700 does. I'm going AIO since I want to try to overclock. Had some trouble overclocking systems in the past, but maybe this auto-overclock stuff will work this time.

Really excited that the MSI Titanium board has a overlock dial, and that it goes up to 11, lol.

The 1800X and 1700X don't come with a cooler. Only the 1700 does. I'm going AIO since I want to try to overclock. Had some trouble overclocking systems in the past, but maybe this auto-overclock stuff will work this time.

Really excited that the MSI Titanium board has a overlock dial, and that it goes up to 11, lol.
Yeah so Spinal Tap :)

Cheers

Back