AIM profile virus....

IBleedPurple

Weaksauce
So my AIM profile has been hijacked by this address:

http://www.clicknewsnewnet.net/news/articles/12.htm

Some jerkoff put that into an i-frame on the guestbook on a site of mine, and since the page was open in that i-frame, it stole my profile... anyone know how to get rid of this one?

I'd like to know how to get rid of those other viruses I see (totally computer illiterate) people on my buddy list have, so I can tell them how to get rid of it... or maybe just go there and do it myself. The ones I keep seeing are something about happy holidays or something.

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread kinda... but if there was an AIM virus page it would be great :)

The one that goes to some realphx page or something? I found a quick fix for that one a while back, but I'm not sure about it now...

Well most of the ones that are like Realphx, or Buddypicture.net etc. are usually easily fixable, yours doesn't souind like one of those but i will explain how the others work. The realphx style ones are supposed to drop an .exe file in your root drive (C:\) like av.exe or something, then they will also create a registry entry so that it starts up with windows, this entry should be located HKEY_Local_Machine/software/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Run. This entry should be pointing to the .exe file on your C: drive. You might also want to check startups in currentuser etc but i have heard of this one putting one there. So chances are there is a process running somewhere in the background, find it, end it, find where the file is located, and see if you an find any registry entries associated with it and remove them. Or simply run several different online virus scans like Trendmicro Housecall or Symantec Security check. Good luck.

Actually, someone gave me this page:

http://paradizzle.omgifarted.net/aimremove/index.php

Which detected and apparently "cleansed" my profile... it seems to be working so far. The only drawback was that it changed my home page to some offshoot of that site, but I changed it back and it seems to be working... if I run into any other problems, I'll update again. :)

Thanks for all the help though!

Back