AIM might no longer work

Adam

[H]ard|Gawd
So I got a message today from AOL when i signed into AIM, indicating my version of AIM needed to be upgraded as it will not work in a few days.

I do use an old version, 5.5.3598 as I use it with DeadAIM 4.5 - I love DeadAIm because its a simple version of AIM with logging and tabbed windows.

Since I might have to upgrade, what other programs are there, that are similar to DeadAIM.

I want tabbed windows and logging and as close to the old look of AIM as possible, as i do not like the new version its too flashy, i like simple.

So I got a message today from AOL when i signed into AIM, indicating my version of AIM needed to be upgraded as it will not work in a few days.

I do use an old version, 5.5.3598 as I use it with DeadAIM 4.5 - I love DeadAIm because its a simple version of AIM with logging and tabbed windows.

Since I might have to upgrade, what other programs are there, that are similar to DeadAIM.

I want tabbed windows and logging and as close to the old look of AIM as possible, as i do not like the new version its too flashy, i like simple.

Just use pidgin.

I'm an advocate for Digsby. I used DeadAIM right up until it became obsolete. You could also run the stock AIM client and check out www.aimadhack.net to remove all the bloat/ads from it.

I'll try Pidgin I guess... i just like simple and want tabs and logs.

i just like simple and want tabs and logs.
That's exactly why none of us use the AIM crap anymore. I honestly didn't think anyone used the real AIM software client anymore. I used Pidgin for a while, but then switched to Digsby, because my config options are stored on their server.

I like Digsby because of it's built-in updater and it's ability to save your list based on your Digsby account so that no matter what computer you're on, your list will be available. Plus Digsby has FB chat as well, a nice bonus.

In the past, my experience with Pidgin has been so-so because of their slow response to MSN and AIM's protocol changes. For example, when MSN and AIM makes some change to their login server and Pidgin users aren't able to log in, I've had to wait for a few days for Pidgin to get around pushing an update for it.

Why does AIM install viewpoint media player without asking you? What it that crap used for?

My vote is for Digsby.

Updated more offen.
Passwords are secure on there servers vs plain text with pidgin

I'm an advocate for Digsby. I used DeadAIM right up until it became obsolete. You could also run the stock AIM client and check out www.aimadhack.net to remove all the bloat/ads from it.

thanks.. friggin ad's were irritating as shit..

That's exactly why none of us use the AIM crap anymore. I honestly didn't think anyone used the real AIM software client anymore. I used Pidgin for a while, but then switched to Digsby, because my config options are stored on their server.

i still use the aim software because im lazy as hell and i just leave it running in the background.. if the shit signs off because of my shitty connection i usually never bother signing back in til i restart my computer 2 or 3 months later..

i still use the aim software because im lazy as hell and i just leave it running in the background.. if the shit signs off because of my shitty connection i usually never bother signing back in til i restart my computer 2 or 3 months later..
What does that have to do with using their craptastic software over something lighter and better?

Pidgin is about as simple and lightweight as it gets and it supports several IM protocols.

I should see if I can remember my AIM info and give digsby or pidgin a shot. I haven't used an IM in ages.

AimAdHack is great. I'm pretty sure you can download older versions with it too.

I like Digsby over Pidgin because it seems to work better and I like that it saves my lists and prefs on their server.

Also, check out meebo.com for use without a desktop client.

AIM 5.5 died today
AIM 5.2 and AIM 5.9 still work.

Hopefully anyone good at editing AIM code can change something simple and make AIM 5.5 work again.

AIM 5.5 died today
AIM 5.2 and AIM 5.9 still work.

Hopefully anyone good at editing AIM code can change something simple and make AIM 5.5 work again.

Who really cares about using software with built in advertisements? If you want to see advertisements go to craigslist or something.

These days I mostly use gmail chat as my main means but at home I'll still have good old AIM Lite going:

aimlite.jpg

Tabbed windows, simple file transfer, small footprint, logging, offline msg'ing. All I want out of a chat program. I know I can connect to aim through gmail, I just like having a persistent window open all the time for a few people.

I have patched a file to make AIM 5.5 continue to work.

AIM 5.5 is the best version of the AOL AIM program. If you actually still use AIM, please enjoy this patch.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L98UE23F

As well as AIM 5.5 with all adware removed, cloning, logging, and tabbed messaging enabled. (connection patch already applied)
All features enableable/disableable
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UTD11BBL

Last edited:
Back