AIM 6.9 shuts off when receiving a message

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
For the past two days, I've been trying to get this driver working for a ps3 USB controller and it's been driving me up a wall. I gave up on it (there seems to be some problem with vista x64 SP2). After giving up, I hopped on AIM, then all of a sudden, it'll close with no message or notification only when i receive a message. I can message someone else, I can IM myself and receive that IM, but when I receive it from someone else, AIM shuts off. Tried looking for a log or through event viewer but nothing.

The instructions for the drivers had involved disabling UAC and using some program to sign a driver and put xp in test mode, so I wouldn't doubt if that screwed something up. But what? I've reverted to my old settings but haven't done so through a restore point.

Tried uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling, no dice. Aim 5.9 works fine. Did a quick virus scan and am about to try a spyware scan. Any ideas?

I'd ask the guy who made the driver (assuming it was made a person and not an entire group of people) about what the driver specifically affects (dll's, processes, other misc files). It seems like the driver may have affected a resource/file/dll that's required by AIM to function properly, or at least that particular version of AIM.

I think I figured it out. Somehow, the privacy setting got changed to block all users, but I guess instead of a notification about a blocked message, it'd just shut down. Dunno how the hell that happened, but it works now.
Actually, in doing some testing, I don't think that was the problem, but it's the best answer so far....:confused:
Thanks for the replies

edit: yeah, nm... it's just extremely flaky

Alright, so I upgraded to 7, and everything was working fine. Was able to talk to a few friends, no problem. Then it crashed.

Then I figured it out. It's one specific friend that's causing the crash. I dunno what it is either. i guess it's something custom she has installed, but she's clueless as to what it is. Gonna see if there's some way to set the options so nothing custom screws it up...

Any other ideas?

She's probably infected with malware and it's crashing people on her buddylist. Ask her if her friends are chatting with her just fine or not and what version of AIM she's using.

Yeah, I gave up on AIM. Found a really good program called Digsby. Combines most chat programs like MSN, GChat, twitter, facebook, as well as gives mail notifications and others. Pretty sleek design and nice integration. Good custom options as well.
Only complaint so far was during installation, you had to go through like 10 offer pages.

Back