AI-Created 'Virtual Influencers' Are Stealing Business From Humans

Something I've wondered is why is it that turning on and off the use of tolls is not something easily accessible in GPS software? Both Google Maps and Waze makes it hard to find the option to turn on and off avoiding tolls, especially when you're driving. Seems like an intended design.
To be fair, you probably shouldn't be fiddling with the mapping software while you're driving, but I just checked both the desktop and Android versions of Google Maps and it's not as easy to find as it was a long time ago, but in both cases, there's an "options" text you can tap/click to tell it to avoid tolls. It definitely used to be a little more user-friendly, though.

we pass some laws which is also hard because the right hates regulation.
I would think it would be important to explain why this particular regulation is useful/necessary. "Do you know how much information they're clandestinely gathering, and what they're going to do with it?" Most people probably have no idea.

To be fair, you probably shouldn't be fiddling with the mapping software while you're driving, but I just checked both the desktop and Android versions of Google Maps and it's not as easy to find as it was a long time ago, but in both cases, there's an "options" text you can tap/click to tell it to avoid tolls. It definitely used to be a little more user-friendly, though.
There were/are a bunch of regulations around maps and navigation in vehicles intended to stop people from being distracted while driving but they often backfire and people do something much worse because of them.

I would think it would be important to explain why this particular regulation is useful/necessary. "Do you know how much information they're clandestinely gathering, and what they're going to do with it?" Most people probably have no idea.

I remember way back in the 2000s when OnStar was new and someone posted in a forum how to physically disconnect it. All the reponses were people telling him he's a crazy conspiracy theorist for wanting to do that. Then a year later it came out that police had been buying all the data from OnStar.

How the times have changed. Now most people assume the government/google/facebook/whoever has all your data, full access to your phone, microphone, etc and they don't even care.

I agree, but again if I have to pull over and spend 5 minutes trying to find the avoid toll button, that's not good either. It's a common feature I'm sure most people would love to have on their screen.
In no scenario can I think of why they need to gather information at all. It's one of those situations where technology has advanced faster than laws can keep up with.
I remember way back in the 2000s when OnStar was new and someone posted in a forum how to physically disconnect it. All the reponses were people telling him he's a crazy conspiracy theorist for wanting to do that. Then a year later it came out that police had been buying all the data from OnStar.

How the times have changed. Now most people assume the government/google/facebook/whoever has all your data, full access to your phone, microphone, etc and they don't even care.
There have also been cases where OnStar was used to shutdown a car, but also caused a crash.
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/f...off-in-multi-county-high-speed-chase-deputies
This is no different when GM's ignition switches were coming out and also shutting off engines.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/another-fatal-crash-may-be-linked-to-gm-ignition-switch-defect/

Unrelated to quoting you guys but a YouTuber used AI to properly remove woke voice dubs used in Anime. It's done so well that the person even used the voice actors own voices to mock them. I'm OK with these people losing their jobs if they can't just simply read a line and instead inject their own world views.

View: https://youtu.be/IbgDZ8PsysY?si=bksnYlh08z85vOaY

I agree, but again if I have to pull over and spend 5 minutes trying to find the avoid toll button, that's not good either. It's a common feature I'm sure most people would love to have on their screen.
Setup your route before driving. I know there are people too stupid to do this, but it's common sense to me. Whenever I'm going on a long trip to somewhere I'm not familiar with I set it up on my phone so when I plug it into my car it's ready to go.

Setup your route before driving. I know there are people too stupid to do this, but it's common sense to me. Whenever I'm going on a long trip to somewhere I'm not familiar with I set it up on my phone so when I plug it into my car it's ready to go.
A few times I've hit heavy traffic (for example, Houston ring road highways) and tried to use Google Maps to find an alternate route, and, it's really hard to do. Even just glancing at the phone for a second, tapping once, looking at the road again to make sure nothing happened, then glancing at the screen again, etc., is fraught, so I avoid it if at all possible.

A few times I've hit heavy traffic (for example, Houston ring road highways) and tried to use Google Maps to find an alternate route, and, it's really hard to do. Even just glancing at the phone for a second, tapping once, looking at the road again to make sure nothing happened, then glancing at the screen again, etc., is fraught, so I avoid it if at all possible.
When that has happened to me the app will give notification about a change in route that is available, and asks if you want to take it. A simple yes or no is all that is needed. It saved me recently on my trip to Nashville when there was an accident on I-24 outside the city limits.

When that has happened to me the app will give notification about a change in route that is available, and asks if you want to take it. A simple yes or no is all that is needed. It saved me recently on my trip to Nashville when there was an accident on I-24 outside the city limits.

Yeah I use GPS all the time because of that stuff. Also for the speedtrap notifications.

It saved my recently as well when I was picking up a friend from the airport. The airport was 30 minutes away with about 5 hours of traffic in front of me. It asked me if I wanted to save 4 hours and I obviously clicked yes, and it took me to some backroads around the massive traffic and I made it to the airport on time.

Back