ahhhh 8 more updates for Vista

err support and advancement in a new OS is a bad thing ?

Didn't say it was a bad thing. But the ship is getting loaded up with a heavy load and sitting low in the water.

Didn't say it was a bad thing. But the ship is getting loaded up with a heavy load and sitting low in the water.

Then what does that make XP with thousand+ of updates?

To me this is more like 6 up dates. No point in DLing the mail filters for me since I use thunder bird.

The OP's right. Microsoft needs to follow Apple's recent example and wait 8 months to patch vulnerabilities.

Actually, Windows is one of the fastest patched systems around (and has the least security issues overall).
If I remember right (without looking the article up), Windows had an average fix of 21 days.
Linux had average fixes of something like 58 days, and Apple was the worst at 66 days.
Edit- here is the link... oddly enough- published by Symantec (who is no friend of Microsoft).
And what makes this more interesting, this is PRE-VISTA data... Vista has less vulerabilities than XP did, and it wasn't even included in the results!

Anyway- XP has been patched so many times it isn't funny.
Even with SP 2, you have to download about a hundred updates after installing it!

Edit- I only have 2 updates available right now (I am also using SP1 Beta).

As long as the updates are being applied fine, without breaking anything, you won't here my complaining.

Most updates are replacing existing files, not creating additional. So those of you who are whining about updates taking up additional disk space are just silly.

Most updates are replacing existing files, not creating additional. So those of you who are whining about updates taking up additional disk space are just silly.

actually KB patches back up old data into hidden folders such as $NtUninstallKB904706$. But yes, you're right. At least they can be deleted.

Maybe I should be worried, I haven't gotten any notifications from Windows Update in regards to these "updates" !

Windows Automatic Update only gives you critical updates. If they're optional or non-critical, you probably have to use windowsupdate.com to get them.

Windows Automatic Update only gives you critical updates. If they're optional or non-critical, you probably have to use windowsupdate.com to get them.

I didn't even know you could do this in Vista.

But I do know you have to go into the Windows Update component and manually check for updates to get these (At least my two).

Actually I don't know either. I've not yet put Vista on my machines. lol

I missed the optional updates you got with XP and hate having to manually look for them with Vista.

I think Windows updates are handled well. It seems like every other week there's 16+ updates for my other machine running Ubuntu. Not everything is related to the Linux Kernal, and Gnome, but man of the updates are for things that are often in Windows updates as well anyway (the internet, email programs, media player, etc).

Does MS offer a Vista ISO that you can download and burn so when you install Vista it doesn't have to download a ton of updates?

I believe its called SP1 and its in BETA now. Other then that you could slip them, but I can picture that taking a hell of a it longer then letting 'em download and install.

Does MS offer a Vista ISO that you can download and burn so when you install Vista it doesn't have to download a ton of updates?
There aren't a ton of updates for a new install anyway, and if you have a decent internet connection, it doesn't take very long. It's definitely not like a new XP SP2 build, that has 80+ updates.

I missed the optional updates you got with XP and hate having to manually look for them with Vista.
Not having a go at you personally. Yours is the best example of what a few people have said in this thread.

Use the 'Settings' option and then enable 'Recommended updates' and 'Use Microsoft Update'. You'll get ALL the relevent updates offered to you after you do that ;)

Thanx, I'll keep that in mind next time I decide to actually install one of my copies of Vista.

Back