AHCI question

Danja

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I just got a backup drive for my PC and it wouldn't hot plug when I plugged it into eSATA. I did some research and found that you need AHCI enabled for this functionality. I checked my BIOS and AHCI was indeed disabled. From what I gather, you need to reinstall Windows in order to switch to AHCI mode. My problem is that I have an upgrade disk and can't find where I put the original XP installation disk. Is there some way to enable AHCI without reinstallation?

No way with Windows XP? If so it leads me to say that windowsXP needs a 4th service pack with security rollup and AHCI drivers. Remember when NT got service pack 4? It then became a mature operating system. Same with Windows 2000. I loved windows 2000, lean and mean. I use classic settings for 7 and XP and you can call me old fashioned, but that is what I was raised on. Should start a petition for XPSP4.

With XP, it's not just having the driver installed. XP has a real rough time booting to a new controller without having the driver previously installed and device active. Vista/7 do not have this issue as much as XP does.

With XP, I think the only true way to do it is to install the AHCI driver, then to run a sysprep, shut down, change to AHCI, then start the machine up. You would have to recreate your account and such I believe.

It's a mess. I would just reinstall with F6 drivers and AHCI on.

So just to confirm... enabling AHCI via the registry tweak won't (or shouldn't) wipe my data?

Want to add that the change over works. I did it on this system just a few weeks after Win 7 went retail, and have had nearly 0 issues with the machine since. None were related to AHCI anyway :D

Back