AHCI Problems

theTIK

Gawd
A few days ago I started to have problems with one of my 500GB Samsung drives. It kept disappearing after about 40 minutes of use, I tried doing a chkdsk but it couln't finish because the hard drive would disappear before it could finish. After changing the cable and trying a bunch of stuff I thought the hard drive was going bad. Just to be sure I tried it in my roommate's computer and it worked fine. I thought I would try switching from AHCI back to IDE in the BIOS. I switched to AHCI a fews weeks ago because I figured it would be better. Low and behold now everything works fine. I did some searching on Google and found a couple of other people having the same issue as me. I don't know about everyone else, but for right now, I am going to stay away from AHCI.

There's no real use to use AHCI and its benefits, such as NCQ, in a desktop-consumer level setting, the benefits aren't outweighed by the headaches. The main reason why I would use AHCI over, say, IDE mode would be the hotswappability, but that's about it.

Needless to say, either the motherboard's SATA controller doesn't handle AHCI very well or it's a Windows-based problem, which hasn't really handled AHCI very well in my experience (BSOD on bootup if you haven't installed any drivers).

Back