• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AHCI mode on my SATA controller???

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
4,628
Using my Gigabyte DS3 motherboard I have the option to use SATA controller as IDE, or AHCI mode. I installed XP when I was using "IDE" mode, however the other day I tried AHCI mode and I got a BSOD :eek: . No problem, set it back to IDE and all was fine. I recently formatted again, but set the SATA mode to AHCI, and according to THE FAQ question on gigabytes site, you have to install ("F6" during windows install) drivers kinda like a raid setup. Well I found the drivers on the motherboard CD loaded everything, and windows is chugging along, but what is the difference between these modes? I cant tell a speed difference. Should I have left it using IDE mode, and not use AHCI? What the hell does AHCI do? Thaks, as you can tell im very confussed...
 
Leave it on AHCI - that's what you want. On a P5B-D I built(965P) I tried both modes and noticed a considerable speed difference between the two. Keep it on AHCI. I'm surprised you can't tell.
 
So it is normal that I had to load drivers to use this mode? I had to do the "F6" option when installing XP
 
Yup - perfectly normal. Typically any RAID or AHCI modes...you're loading F6 drivers.
 
Back
Top