AH HA!(has to do with WoW)

Cryptic

Gawd
I'm a fucking genius. I could solve all of blizzards problems with people bitching right now.(yes, I'm aware I started a bitching thread about the patch, but I've put my anger to good use and came up with this fool proof system)

I cant find the page on the WoW site that I read to quote it, but it was something like "there is no dishonor in killing a member of the opposing faction no matter the level"

If there is a penelty (say minus one point for each level after 5 levels lower...ex. a 60 kills a level 30 they would lose 25 honor points)then there would be none of this bitching because NO ONE would have to worry about getting ganked by someone they cant fend off.

If blizzard makes that happens then all will be well in World of Warcraft.

Flame away, but I think my idea would work.

What about when a lvl 30 attacks a 60. Or better yet, a couple of lvl 30's attack a single 60? Still want him to lose honour?

Warmonkey said:
What about when a lvl 30 attacks a 60. Or better yet, a couple of lvl 30's attack a single 60? Still want him to lose honour?
No, I missed that, sorry. I think the computer would be able to distiguish between that because in a sense the computer(wow server) already does. Say I hit a monster and then some random person come running along and finishes it off for me. I still the XP and looting rights because I was the first to attack. If the computer realized who attacks who first(which we know can be done)then this that problem would be solved.

Example: Just say you’re a Troll and you just entered Alliance territory. An Alliance member has to initiate combat with you before you can fight back.
If they can keep track of this, then they can keep track of a Level 30 initiating combat with a level 60.

Killdozer said:
Example: Just say you’re a Troll and you just entered Alliance territory. An Alliance member has to initiate combat with you before you can fight back.
If they can keep track of this, then they can keep track of a Level 30 initiating combat with a level 60.
I'm confused, are you translating what I said in to easier terms to understand?(If so thanks) or are you asking another question?(if so I dont usnderstand the question)

What if 10 level 30s approach a level 60 player and one of them attacks. The level 60 player casts an AoE spell, thereby initiating a "first strike" against the 9 level 30s that have not attacked yet.

bipolar said:
What if 10 level 30s approach a level 60 player and one of them attacks. The level 60 player casts an AoE spell, thereby initiating a "first strike" against the 9 level 30s that have not attacked yet.

They could put a penalty on the attacker for putting others at unnecessary risk (Perhaps make it so that the attack of the weaker character opens a certain proximity that will yield no penalty for low-level kills). The attacker would not be penalized in that scenario.

WickedAngel said:
They could put a penalty on the attacker for putting others at unnecessary risk (Perhaps make it so that the attack of the weaker character opens a certain proximity that will yield no penalty for low-level kills). The attacker would not be penalized in that scenario.
Prediction: I take my level 60 undead rogue and team up with a buddy playing his alt char, a level 5 dwarf paladin. We trot into newbie area and he does an attack on me. I then slaughter all the noobs and my friend and I have a good laugh.

Any 'solution' has a workaround that will still allow griefing. It's in the nature of MMOs.

There aren't penalties for killing lower level players but there are also no rewards. The system is good how it is and they're not going to change it. Remember, ganking will always exist regardless. This is taken from Blizzard's website and it should be enough to satisfy you:

The amount of honor you gain is based mainly on three factors: 1) your target's level, 2) your PvP rank, and 3) your level. Then, at the end of the week, we gather all your Honorable Kills and Dishonorable Kills, and then apply certain modifications based on relevant data. For instance, we track repeat kills, and the system will reward you less and less honor with each successive kill of the same opponent on the same day. You'll gain full points for your first kill, but you get far less points with each kill after that, to the point where you will eventually get zero if you continue to prey on that player.

Player versus player battles are always best when played out between opposing forces of equal level. Thus, our system creates incentives to attack foes around your level. And it also does not reward those who kill players far below their level.

Cryptic said:
I'm confused, are you translating what I said in to easier terms to understand?(If so thanks) or are you asking another question?(if so I dont usnderstand the question)
Supporting you because other people think it's impossible to keep track of this stuff.

ThunderGod66 said:
There aren't penalties for killing lower level players but there are also no rewards. The system is good how it is and they're not going to change it. Remember, ganking will always exist regardless. This is taken from Blizzard's website and it should be enough to satisfy you:

The amount of honor you gain is based mainly on three factors: 1) your target's level, 2) your PvP rank, and 3) your level. Then, at the end of the week, we gather all your Honorable Kills and Dishonorable Kills, and then apply certain modifications based on relevant data. For instance, we track repeat kills, and the system will reward you less and less honor with each successive kill of the same opponent on the same day. You'll gain full points for your first kill, but you get far less points with each kill after that, to the point where you will eventually get zero if you continue to prey on that player.

Player versus player battles are always best when played out between opposing forces of equal level. Thus, our system creates incentives to attack foes around your level. And it also does not reward those who kill players far below their level.

There's no penalties, but considering that it takes about 3 seconds to kill someone half your level...most of them will do it for shits and giggles. That's what needs to be stopped.

What needs to be changed is the fact that killing NPCs gives no honor.

I just got off an RP server where about a dozen or so level 15-30 alliance characters marched into Crossroads for what was supposed to be a planned battle in the area with a group of similar level horde. The idea was for lower level players to be able to earn some honorable kills. Unfortunately, some level 60 players saw us coming, decided to ride ahead raided the town. As such, the low level characters assumed that we'd betrayed them, and ran off. Now, I've got a 50 silver repair bill because our group got aggroed by NPC characters, and nothing to show for it.

The thing that bothered me was that we didn't attack Civillians, only guards. All of the guards were in the level 30 area, and were an actual fight for us to take down. In other words, it was a fairly ridiculous encounter, all told, that would have been made worthwhile if only killing NPCs was a way to earn honor.

(And note, there are certain NPCs that are marked as civilians, will not aggro, and don't give honor. I believe this should stay in place. But if a level 30 guard comes running at me, a character 6 levels lower, why shouldn't I be considered honorable for defending myself?)

Killdozer said:
Supporting you because other people think it's impossible to keep track of this stuff.

Thank you. Also...to bipolar, if they are on a raid team the comptuer would realize that(same deal with beasts and such). If they arnt on a team, most of them are weary to attack anyways. In all honesty if I was with 20 other people the same level as me I still WOULDN'T attack because where theres one level 60 most of the time there are more level 60's.

Killdozer said:
There's no penalties, but considering that it takes about 3 seconds to kill someone half your level...most of them will do it for shits and giggles. That's what needs to be stopped.

No it doesn't. This is world of WARcraft. Not World of CAREBEARcraft. If you want "gentlemans" PvP, roll a toon on a PvE server. I'm sick and tired of people thinking they should have the right to level in peace on a PvP server. That is what PvE servers are for. If you are dumb enough to run the main road in a contested area then you deserve to die. Don't wear a "kill me because i'm st00pid flag". If you are dumb enough to try and quest a town be raided by the opposing side then you deserve to die.

PvP is war. It is survival of the fitest. If you can't hack it...get the F#$K out. There are other zones you know...there are lots of them. The world doesn't revolve round hillsbrad and arathi. In the past 12 hours of play i've only attacked one alliance and nobody has attacked me. Play smarter....not harder.

-tReP

if they implemented dishonor i would just roll a level 1 alt, find a raid of horde and just run around until aoe catches me and they get dishonor.

this is how i would grief people.

Trepidati0n said:
No it doesn't. This is world of WARcraft. Not World of CAREBEARcraft. If you want "gentlemans" PvP, roll a toon on a PvE server. I'm sick and tired of people thinking they should have the right to level in peace on a PvP server. That is what PvE servers are for. If you are dumb enough to run the main road in a contested area then you deserve to die. Don't wear a "kill me because i'm st00pid flag". If you are dumb enough to try and quest a town be raided by the opposing side then you deserve to die.

PvP is war. It is survival of the fitest. If you can't hack it...get the F#$K out. There are other zones you know...there are lots of them. The world doesn't revolve round hillsbrad and arathi. In the past 12 hours of play i've only attacked one alliance and nobody has attacked me. Play smarter....not harder.

-tReP

That's YOUR problem. I'm sick and tired of folks who already have level 60 toons thinking they have the right to smack down anyone they find ANYWHERE. Stonetalon Peak is contested territory, yet level 60s have no reason to be there other than to grief players and be complete assholes. If I'm questing and I get nailed by a player 5 levels above me or less, so what. I can deal with that - hell, I'd do the same in their shoes. THAT's the PVP that many signed up for - they stand at least SOME chance of escaping or winning. I guarantee that you wouldn't feel the way you do if the roles were reversed.

Perhaps they should make it location specific. If some level 10 from Alliance comes strolling into Feralas (an area he obviously does not belong in) with the intent to do something along the lines of what Chuckles has suggested, then they could make him fair game.

wfalcon said:
That's YOUR problem. I'm sick and tired of folks who already have level 60 toons thinking they have the right to smack down anyone they find ANYWHERE. Stonetalon Peak is contested territory, yet level 60s have no reason to be there other than to grief players and be complete assholes. If I'm questing and I get nailed by a player 5 levels above me or less, so what. I can deal with that - hell, I'd do the same in their shoes. THAT's the PVP that many signed up for - they stand at least SOME chance of escaping or winning. I guarantee that you wouldn't feel the way you do if the roles were reversed.

Perhaps they should make it location specific. If some level 10 from Alliance comes strolling into Feralas (an area he obviously does not belong in) with the intent to do something along the lines of what Chuckles has suggested, then they could make him fair game.

I dealt with the same crap you are going through. There were tons of 60's griefing me too. However I knew what I was getting into even before I got into it. You do read the forums...right? Or did you start the game with some pre-conceived ideology that you deem to be correct? The 60's griefing the lowers has been pretty standard within the first month of WoW existing. Right now it is extremely high because people think every honorable kill has the same value (which it doesn't). When they realize they got 40000 kills and only are rank 2, they might figure hrm "I need to kill toons as close to my level and higher and only kill them once to maximize the value of my HK". Until that happens there will be an adjustment period.

Every single gripe about PvP is along the same lines of "it is inconvenient to me so change the rules to benefit me". To level in STV, Arathi, Hillsbrad right now is suicide and to do so and then bitch about it is an exercise in stupidity. Change zones...there are others. Be a bit more careful and avoid the main roads. Check the WoW forums and see where most of the ganking is going on and avoid it. But again...people don't care because "it's not fair". Neither is life....

BTW, the more rules you impliment to control PvP, the more people will find ways to abuse those rules.

-tReP

Bottom line..

There can be no honor without dishonor. No penalties for unlimited ganking of lower levels and quest giving NPC's is the dumbest fucking thing the Bliztards have done to date. We ALL know this honor system was only put in place as a patch to appease all the lvl 60's that were running around with nothing to do because Bliz has not delivered Battlegrounds that was supposed to ship with the product to begin with. I doubt they ever will now, Honor system will replace Battlegrounds....My2c...

Evil Scooter said:
Bottom line..

There can be no honor without dishonor. No penalties for unlimited ganking of lower levels and quest giving NPC's is the dumbest fucking thing the Bliztards have done to date. We ALL know this honor system was only put in place as a patch to appease all the lvl 60's that were running around with nothing to do because Bliz has not delivered Battlegrounds that was supposed to ship with the product to begin with. I doubt they ever will now, Honor system will replace Battlegrounds....My2c...

I dont think so, they've already done a lot of work on the battlegrounds. Aren't they already in the world?

I agree with Trepidati0n, if you want to level in peace then either go to PvE or just be more careful when soloing.

Osiris said:
I dont think so, they've already done a lot of work on the battlegrounds. Aren't they already in the world?

I agree with Trepidati0n, if you want to level in peace then either go to PvE or just be more careful when soloing.

This patch has made things really retarded even on PVE servers. Take a trip to Tarren MIll, or anywhere in that area for that matter. All the NPC's are dead so forget about getting/finishing any quests or being able to catch a flight out of there. And its loaded with asstards that follow you around trying to goad you into a fight. I had a lower lvl Pally following me around spitting on me for about 30 minutes last night. I knew he had at least 2 high lvl rouges stealthed with him as I saw the group gank some UDmage before they set their asstard bait loose on me. Got old fast. They should leave all PVP for the PVP servers and just fucking release Battlegrounds already, not these half assed patches that just fuck the game for many players. I joined a PVE server so I would NOT have to put up with this type of bullshit to begin with...

Osiris said:
You can't just be more careful when soloing. I've played mostly on Shattered Hand (a PVP server), and soloing quests through contested zones was dangerous, but definitely possible before the implementation of the honor system. Now, it is all but impossible to do any quests outside of an instance.

They definitely should have introduced the battlegrounds and honor system at the same time. I'm sure it would not have eliminated the roving bands of 60s that are just out killing everyone they see. However, it might have given them somewhere else to gain honorable kills. Also, they would probably gain more contribution points from the kills in the battlegrounds anyway, because they would be fighting other people of their level.

Drawshot said:
You can't just be more careful when soloing. I've played mostly on Shattered Hand (a PVP server), and soloing quests through contested zones was dangerous, but definitely possible before the implementation of the honor system. Now, it is all but impossible to do any quests outside of an instance.

They definitely should have introduced the battlegrounds and honor system at the same time. I'm sure it would not have eliminated the roving bands of 60s that are just out killing everyone they see. However, it might have given them somewhere else to gain honorable kills. Also, they would probably gain more contribution points from the kills in the battlegrounds anyway, because they would be fighting other people of their level.

I'm going to agree, things are sorta "retarded" right now as somebody said. But however a large amount of the retardation is caused by the player. :) Hopefully Blizz will do what they did to BB and Gadget which was increase the guards by a shit load. Make it simple...the more times alliance attacks the town the more guards that spawn over time. They may hold the town for 5 or 10 minutes (power to them)....but God help them in about 15 minutes when the amount of guards equals the amount of alliance. This should cause alot of flip-flop between who wins and loses or causs the roving gank squads to shift around. I think it would be funny to see 100 guards streaming into an alliance PC camp :)

I also believe Blizz needs to be a bit more upfront about how "real" points are earned and not the HK's and DK's. They need to make a blanket statement that killing a 48 at level 60 will only give you 1/50 the value of killing a level 60.

Again, right now people don't know what makes a "real" point versus HK's and therefore everybody is being retarded to the point they would kill their own grandmother to get another HK in their tab. Can't blame Blizz over people being stupidly greedy thinking that they will get their epic mount for 100G by killing 48's repeatedly when there is no chance in hell of that happening.

You could try and form a few instance groups for the next week or so. Be a way to beef up your equip/cash and wait out the "retards".

-tReP

Evil Scooter said:
I joined a PVE server so I would NOT have to put up with this type of bullshit to begin with...
I probably would have gone PVE or RP from the start, if I didn't know other people on the PVP server I currently play on. However, I did start to appreciate the level of tension the contested areas gave.

Before the honor system, it was tense, but not impossible to run through contested zones. Some people would attack and others would not. It really depended on the situation. You also got to know what characters and guilds played with a "red is dead" policy, and you needed to especially be on the lookout for them. With the honor system in place, there is no reason for any of the opposing faction to not attack you. They might get contribution points, so you are going to be attacked.

I admit to being part of the problem on Tuesday night after the patch. I ran around just attacking everyone. I had no regard for what level they were, I had no time to worry about it. If I didn't attack, I was sure that they would attack me anyway. Being a level 56 mage, I can definitely take down level 60s if i get lucky on crits and get an impact or two to proc. But after a couple hours, I was emotionally drained, the adrenaline high was wearing off, and I had nothing really to show for it. Gaining XP since then has been sporadic at best, I'm still not much closer to level 60 than I was on Tuesday.

lvl 55 rogue attacks a lvl 60 mage. mage aoe's. rogue dies, as does his friend whos a lvl 25 hunter and happens to wander by. 60 mage losses honor points.

no thanks.

Steel Chicken said:
lvl 55 rogue attacks a lvl 60 mage. mage aoe's. rogue dies, as does his friend whos a lvl 25 hunter and happens to wander by. 60 mage losses honor points.

no thanks.
nope...

In this situation, the 60 mage would get 1 honor kill for the 55, and lose nothing for the level 25. As for how the contribution points are computed from this, who knows... Blizzard hasn't really given any concrete formula as to how it is computed. However, it is all positive reinforcement. There is no penalty for taking out low levels.

I think the honor system should be for battlegrounds only when it comes out, or have any kill outside of it be dishonorable. If not I fear that there will forever be a gank fest in contested zones.

Another idea is to ditch the display of kills, and only show points. 100 points for a kill at your level, over 100 for a kill above. All the points would scale. Say killing a 46 when your 45 would get you 105 points, and killing a 15 at 45 would get you 1 or 2 points. Also if a lower level attacks a higher, give the 60 or whatever points for killing him when he attacks. Or something similar. People have to be able to see the diminishing returns as they kill lower levels. It could work. RIght now no one sees that ganking lower levels dosnt meen free mount sooner. Or maybe blizz already has a system for this worked out, they just need to make it more obvious.

Its called WARcraft, thus suggesting that there is a WAR! I will let you all define war on your own, but last time i look it didn't matter what level you were ;)

Drawshot said:

I suppose its easier for us ppl on the EU servers, as there aren't as many ppl at 60 yet so we don't often see groups of them.

TheCowOfNow said:
Its called WARcraft, thus suggesting that there is a WAR! I will let you all define war on your own, but last time i look it didn't matter what level you were ;)

Since you're all clinging to this ridiculous comparison between the real meaning of "war", let me remind you that war has rules.

WickedAngel said:
Since you're all clinging to this ridiculous comparison between the real meaning of "war", let me remind you that war has rules.

War has no rules. The United Nations on the other hand .........

Drawshot said:
nope...

In this situation, the 60 mage would get 1 honor kill for the 55, and lose nothing for the level 25. As for how the contribution points are computed from this, who knows... Blizzard hasn't really given any concrete formula as to how it is computed. However, it is all positive reinforcement. There is no penalty for taking out low levels.

Do people even read threads anymore?

Im so sick of people taking things out of context. My post was in response to the original posters "idea" which you apparently didnot bother to read.

"If there is a penelty (say minus one point for each level after 5 levels lower...ex. a 60 kills a level 30 they would lose 25 honor points)then there would be none of this bitching because NO ONE would have to worry about getting ganked by someone they cant fend off."

My response was that his idea would be unworkable because you dont necessarily choose to kill lower level people, sometimes they just get in the way, and it would be unfair to penalize people for it. I DO know how it currently workes. I can go gank lvl 1's all day and get 0 penalty points. We were talking hypotheticals here.

RTFT

i'm actually starting to think the honor system isn' t that bad. i've been to STV and other gank heavy areas and it hasn't been nearly as bad as i thought. people are just more incliend to be aggressive, which sucks, but it really is no different than before.

well, save for hillsbrad being full on war just about all the time...

HRslammR said:
i'm actually starting to think the honor system isn' t that bad. i've been to STV and other gank heavy areas and it hasn't been nearly as bad as i thought. people are just more incliend to be aggressive, which sucks, but it really is no different than before.

well, save for hillsbrad being full on war just about all the time...
Yeah, I noticed that too. I was about to have some 40s help me through SM for my first time, when SS got raided by about 15 lvl60 tauren, and a smattering of everything else. Every time was a 1 hit kill against me. Right now SS makes Halo seem unlaggy, and STV seem like seaseme street.

Do AoEs affect players who aren't flagged? Because as I see it now, none of this is a problem on non-PVP servers.

And as for you on PVP servers: stop bitching. It's getting annoying. You made a conscious choice to play on those servers, and now you're dealing with the fact that you're at war. Hell, to avoid gank squads in contested areas on my server, the 60's in my faction regularly raid major targets like Razor Hill and The Crossroads simply so that it keeps the opposing high level players at home playing defense as opposed to going out screwing up lower level players games.

Like one told me: we're fighting the war so that you can go out and play.

Yeah, this honor system needs some time to get through to players that it is not a gank point system. Until then, I'll be playing an alt on a PvE server.

Steel Chicken said:
Do people even read threads anymore?

Im so sick of people taking things out of context. My post was in response to the original posters "idea" which you apparently didnot bother to read.
I have read the entire thread, thank you. You failed to quote what you were refering to or make it clear that you were proposing how you think it should work. I'm sorry for being mistaken, but maybe you should explain yourself more fully in the future.

superthrawn said:
What needs to be changed is the fact that killing NPCs gives no honor.

They tried that, it turned out people would just spend all day farming the NPC's and getting ridiculously high scores.

Back