AGP Upgrade

Sc0rched

Gawd
I currently have a 9800XT, and looking for a cheap upgrade to last me through the summer before I change over to PCIe. I've been out of the loop for awhile, and don't really want to waste money if I don't see much gain to upgrade to a new midrange card. What is the best bang for the buck out there right now for AGP?

Also would it be better to get an older top of the line card like x850 Pro or 6800 XT with GDDR3 and such, or a newer midrange card with Pixel Shader 3?

I guess it depends on how you define cheap.
You can pick up an X850pro for about $130 to $140, would be a pretty nice step up for you.

Sc0rched said:
I currently have a 9800XT, and looking for a cheap upgrade to last me through the summer before I change over to PCIe. I've been out of the loop for awhile, and don't really want to waste money if I don't see much gain to upgrade to a new midrange card. What is the best bang for the buck out there right now for AGP?

Also would it be better to get an older top of the line card like x850 Pro or 6800 XT with GDDR3 and such, or a newer midrange card with Pixel Shader 3?

I have an BFG 6200OC AGP $40 for sale. It's not the best but it can play games very well.

I.e. Chronicles of Riddick:EFBB Avg FPS: 40, min: 25. And that game was very hardware intensive with the shadows. PM if you're interested.

Your best bang-for-buck options, in order of price/performance:

nVidia 7600GS AGP, about $125
nVidia 7600GT AGP, about $170-$190 but almost impossible to find.
nVidia 7800GS AGP, $205-230
ATi X1950 Pro AGP, about $300 if it ever actually becomes available.

Note that this list reflects what's available as a new card from a reputable retailer. The ATi X800XT/X850XT would be solid performers offering 7600GT performance at a 7600GS price, but they appear to all be gone from retail.

They are also larger, hotter, louder, and more power-hungry than the 7600 series, and have older tech graphics-wise. On the other hand, they have better specs in some areas that allow them to outperform the 7600GT and other midrange cards in situations where their strengths count.

Of course, at that point we're talking used/eBay type deals, and then all bets are off.
There are also some nVidia 6-series cards that would outperform your card and cost less than a 7600GS, but not by enough to outdo its overall value, IMHO.

pcfan10110 said:
I have an BFG 6200OC AGP $40 for sale. It's not the best but it can play games very well.

I.e. Chronicles of Riddick:EFBB Avg FPS: 40, min: 25. And that game was very hardware intensive with the shadows. PM if you're interested.
Hah, he said UPGRADE from a 9800XT. He doesn't want a phuckin' slideshow.

7600gt right now is probably your best bet, since it has SM 3.0

If the x1950 agp eventually comes out get that but it may be too expensive

www.ncix.com has the XFX 7600gt available.

fellows said:
7600gt right now is probably your best bet, since it has SM 3.0

If the x1950 agp eventually comes out get that but it may be too expensive

www.ncix.com has the XFX 7600gt available.
I don't know if the OP is in Canada or not, but if he's in the U.S., NCIX's price on that card is $199. NewEgg is selling the BFG 7800OC for $205.99 after MIR.

ATi X1950 Pro AGP, $200-ish

How would my X800 XT PE perform in comparison to the two top AGP cards?

I would like a card to hold me over about two or three months. Any informed input would
be helpfull.

pchs said:
ATi X1950 Pro AGP, $200-ish

How would my X800 XT PE perform in comparison to the two top AGP cards?

I would like a card to hold me over about two or three months. Any informed input would
be helpfull.

Hijacking someone elses thread is typically not a good way to get answers.

However if you ask me its not worth the $$ considering what you have unless your going to use that system for a long time.

Either of them would be noticably more powerful, but I seriously doubt you will ever see an X1950 Pro AGP at $200. Still, it will be the most powerful AGP card ever when it becomes available, except for the special Gainward Bliss+ version of the 7800GS that you have to special-order from a European dealer for $400.

Back