jflail2

Gawd
My current system is as follows:

asus k8vse mobo (socket 754)
amd 64 3200
1 gb ram
9600xt
on board sound

Basically, I would like to replace just the video card and add another 1gb of ram to extend the life of this box. I mostly just play CS at this point since I just got an xbox 360, so I don't really need a top of the line card or anything. VIVO would be nice, but isn't necessary.

Anyone AGP recommendations for somewhere between 100-200$?? A few "best bang for the buck" recommendations would be nice.

Also, would you recommend I grab a sound card as well? I had continued driver conflicts with the creative drivers in my old box, so I have stuck with onboard sound on this one. Am I killing my performance here?

I went from 9600xt to 9600pro to 6800NU and the difference is noticeable. What res. do you run at? I'm at 1280*1024 and can do CS:S on high settings with 2x-4x AA and 4x AF and it's very smooth.

Nvidia 6800 series are about the best you can find in terms of AGP. The ATI X800 series is decent as well but overall the 6800s are the better choice for that generation of video cards. A 6800 or 6800GT will serve you well and be fairly affordable.

In regards to sound, YES! Pick up a sound card. It will make a huge difference in sound quality, positional audio, and CPU utilization. If you're on a budget pick up an Audigy 2, or for a few bucks more you can grab one of the regular Creative X-Fi cards, which are Creative's latest and greatest. The X-Fi is a notable improvement over the Audigy 2 I hear, but nothing too crazy. If you can fit it into your budget though both are great choices.

I had both a 6800 GT OC and ATI x800xl, I have to say source on ATI is the better vid card that is why I'm still using x800xl. BTW, HD utilaztion on 6800 GT is broken... e.g. on 1080p some movies lag, this does not happen on ATI.

scout007 said:
I had both a 6800 GT OC and ATI x800xl, I have to say source on ATI is the better vid card that is why I'm still using x800xl. BTW, HD utilaztion on 6800 GT is broken... e.g. on 1080p some movies lag, this does not happen on ATI.

Very true on Source engine but notice I said overall. I will give it to you that ATI plays the Source engine better.

try and find an ATI X850XT 256meg card. Best value at $239 from newegg when they have them in stock.
My little brother got one and it out performs my eVGA 7800GS Superclocked card that I paid $318 for.

Badger said:
I went from 9600xt to 9600pro to 6800NU and the difference is noticeable. What res. do you run at? I'm at 1280*1024 and can do CS:S on high settings with 2x-4x AA and 4x AF and it's very smooth.

I currently run my res at 1024*768 (and no AA or AF.) I would normally run 1280*1024, but I like those heads to be just a little bit bigger in CS :)

I have long pondered the 6800 as that seems to have been the forum consensus favorite for this price range. The x850 is intriguing, but a bit more than I would like to spend.

So if I were to pick up a 6800, which of the 100 or so flavors would be recommended??

(GT vs GT OC vs GS etc....) and is BFG the consensus favorite?

Thanks for your input gents; makes buying a little easier.

jflail2 said:
I currently run my res at 1024*768 (and no AA or AF.) I would normally run 1280*1024, but I like those heads to be just a little bit bigger in CS :)

I have long pondered the 6800 as that seems to have been the forum consensus favorite for this price range. The x850 is intriguing, but a bit more than I would like to spend.

So if I were to pick up a 6800, which of the 100 or so flavors would be recommended??

(GT vs GT OC vs GS etc....) and is BFG the consensus favorite?

Thanks for your input gents; makes buying a little easier.

I am all for BFG, I called them about my 6800GT card, not only did they sent out a new card in 5 days but they also included the return shipping slip for the broken 6800GT.

The X850XT (PE or not) gets my vote.
I have an X800XT and I love it. Night and day difference from my old 9700 Pro.

got to the clearance section of www.ati.com and you can get a new x850pro AGP for 139 plus 17.50 shipping. also you can use 1439 for a 5% off code. that is what i would do. this card can also be flashed to xtpe speeds with no problem, just need a little cooling tweeking.

Back