AGP to PCIx

meinzorn

[H]ard|Gawd
I use AGP right now. I'm thinking about upgrading to PCIx (motherboard, processor and video card). is it worth the upgrade right now. i don't want to get anything super high end or something, but decent. (7600gs or something).

my question, is it worth upgrading now, or should I wait. i hear that directx 10 should be coming soon. Should I wait, or is it not worth it.

If you will upgrade to Vista, I would hold off until DX10 cards come out, especially if you're the type who buys and doesn't upgrade video cards for a while.

The Nvidia 8x00 series should be out in a few weeks, but those will be the expensive models right now ($500-600?).

its totally worth it but if your not going to spend alot wait for the direct 10 cards that will be released soon. then buy your hardware because the current gen video cards will come down in price shortly after.

Yes, it would be worth it... DX10 hardware is overpriced right now and you can get less expensive DX10 cards by next spring or summer and it's useless unless you want to see DX10 stuff.

Right now, new games should work on DX9 with some missing effects, which is no biggie.

I think you're meaning PCIe instead of PCIx. It you're upgrading everything, go for PCIe since it'll be more future proof as more and more devices will start to abandon PCI, and AGP is slowly dying.

PCI-X by the way is a server version of PCI that's 64-bit @ 133MHz and has a maximum bandwith of 8.5Gbits/sec. As far as I'm aware there aren't any gaming graphics cards for it.

Xilikon said:
Yes, it would be worth it... DX10 hardware is overpriced right now and you can get less expensive DX10 cards by next spring or summer and it's useless unless you want to see DX10 stuff.

Right now, new games should work on DX9 with some missing effects, which is no biggie.

If you want to upgrade and waste a buttload of money, then wait a week or two and get a DX10 card. If you still want to upgrade and not waste your life savings on a videocard you will be fine with a a 7900GT/GTX, X1900XT/XTX until next summer when DX10 hardware becomes alot cheaper.

This all depends what kind of budget you're setting yourself. If you aren't looking to rebuild a new system, and don't want to spend a lot of money to get a PCI-E upgrade, just buy a 754 PCI-E motherboard like the Abit NV8 or the Biostar 4X-A7 or TForce6100 or the Epox EP-8NPA SLI.

That way you won't have to spend much money to get the PCI-E compatibility, won't have to worry about a new processor (you've still got plenty of life left in that 3400+, especially if you give it a little overclock), and you'll have more cash to put towards a better videocard.

As for DX10, it'll be a fairly long wait if you want a DX10 card as cheap as the 7600GS or GT; if you want an upgrade, I'd just do it now.

A new operating system, a new video card and a new API(DX10) = a lot of headaches

So basically, it's sounding like an upgrade isn't a bad idea.

yes, I did mean pci-e.

and I like that idea of getting a new board and keeping my current processor. and getting a new vid card. maybe i'll try that.

How long of a wait is it before dx 10 cards would be coming out? A long time?

meinzorn said:
So basically, it's sounding like an upgrade isn't a bad idea.

yes, I did mean pci-e.

and I like that idea of getting a new board and keeping my current processor. and getting a new vid card. maybe i'll try that.

How long of a wait is it before dx 10 cards would be coming out? A long time?

nVidia's 8800 series being annouced next month sometime (i've read November 7th.) and it'll be about a month to two for widespread availability if past introduction are any indication.

ryan_975 said:
nVidia's 8800 series being annouced next month sometime (i've read November 7th.) and it'll be about a month to two for widespread availability if past introduction are any indication.

But in terms of what the OP was looking for (a ~7600GS), those mid level DX10 cards wouldn't be out for a bit longer.

you have an A64 3500+? Is it 939 or 754?

If it's 754, just get the AGP x1950pro. If it's 939, I'd consider buying a 939 PCI-E board and upgrading, that's what I did - migrated my CPU and RAM.

It would imo be a waste to dump that CPU and RAM, they're perfectly good for the latest games.

Varmint said:
you have an A64 3500+? Is it 939 or 754?

If it's 754, just get the AGP x1950pro. If it's 939, I'd consider buying a 939 PCI-E board and upgrading, that's what I did - migrated my CPU and RAM.

It would imo be a waste to dump that CPU and RAM, they're perfectly good for the latest games.
if it's the PC in his sig, then it's a s754.

ryan_975 said:
I think you're meaning PCIe instead of PCIx. It you're upgrading everything, go for PCIe since it'll be more future proof as more and more devices will start to abandon PCI, and AGP is slowly dying.

PCI-X by the way is a server version of PCI that's 64-bit @ 133MHz and has a maximum bandwith of 8.5Gbits/sec. As far as I'm aware there aren't any gaming graphics cards for it.

I was about to make comments like this, but I figured I have been anal enough in the last two or three weeks. :D

Buy the upgrade. If Nvidia does their usual, their midrange DX10 parts will be very nice, but they won't be released for another 6 months to a year.

Back